Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Mystery Stock (Read 1714 times)
Big T
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Mystery Stock
Jun 20th, 2019 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
I bought a stock for my Krag rifle on e-bay it said it was for a rifle it looked right i was happy to get it for less than i thought i would.
It came in from Canada and i was so happy finally my Krag would look right. Someone had cut my stock off at the front band. Well i forgot one thing and that was to check the length. This looks like a perfect stock except it is 37 1/2 inches long. It has a tapered forearm with a step down for the bayonet band. It has the oilier hole cut out and the three holes in the bottom of the slot for cleaning rods. The bolt slot is straight cut not flared. It has a patch in the stock near the but that looks well done and i think adds character to it. it has a filler in the inner forearm lighting slots this too looks very well don.
At first i thought I had a Philippine Constabulary stock but they did not have the step down forearm and this is too long from what i have read.  It did have some stamps on it but has been sanded too much to tell what they said. There is a stamp on the inner flat of the wood where the action sets but again I cannot read it. I can see no indication of a proof mark but again there has been a lot of sanding.
  So i need some advice as to what this might be please.
I will attach picture.

KRAG'S ARE ADDICTIVE

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Mystery Stock
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Hi Big T,

You've probably already figured what it is not, which is a typical unaltered Krag rifle/carbine stock.

Short rifle stocks were remanufactured by various surplus dealers in the late 1920s and 1930s like W. Stokes Kirk and Francis Bannerman.

IMHO: it could possibly be a W. Kirk Stokes modification for their short Krag rifle.

Sorry Big T but I wish I had the actual measurement of Stokes short rifle stock.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
'Big T' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

In truth, anyone could have cut-down your model 1898 Krag rifle stock to its present length. It likely was done by a private owner to make his Krag more useful for 'Hunting'.

I estimate it to be approximately 7/8 of an inch shorter than a School Rifle or Constabulary stock.

If someone had a model 1898 Krag, with a shortened barrel, it would be a very useful stock to use for a 'replica' School Rifle.

(One of the KCA Members fabricated this one, out of cut-down parts):

IP Logged

Big T
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Yes my research says it is not a carbine and definitely not a PC stock. It is so well modified such good craftsmanship i wanted to be sure what i had. I have a cut down 1898 it would look good on i am pondering it uses. I still have a full length rifle i need wood for and i have a very good fake carbine someone made. (wrong number range) That would be too short for it. While i am unhappy with me for not checking length i do like the stock and see many applications for it with all the cut down Krags i have seen.
  It is so interesting to collect these Krags there are so many variations and differences and modifications you never know what you will find next.

KRAG'S ARE ADDICTIVE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint