Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
 25 Help with rear sight (Read 11717 times)
King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Help with rear sight
Jun 21st, 2019 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Hello to the forum: Can anyone tell me if this sight is original or if it is a reproduction? Also would it go on a 1898 carbine?
        Thanks,  kc

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Help with rear sight
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Other pic.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
More.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
King - on examination from your few pictures, this does appear to be an authentic 1896 rear carbine sight. These are often faked because they are worth north of $500. They are hard to find and very desirable because there are many 1896 carbines out there that do not have the authentic carbine rear sight. They often are found with a Krag 1896 rifle sight which is very similar but not marked with the "C"s for the carbine designation and they are only calibrated up to "18" for 1800 yards.

The "C"s on yours look correct but are a little hard to see. The fakes are usually pretty easy to spot for those of us familiar with the differences but can fool many unknowing early Krag collectors. That's why we're here to help!

The pictures below are close ups of one of my authentic 1896 Krag carbine rear sights on a carbine with the correct hand guard. Note how the front sight screw is proud of the base. It should be elevated above the base it screws into.

Yours would need to be examined a little closer just to make sure but it looks like a very good condition 1896 rear carbine Krag sight, appropriate for the 1896 carbine.

The 1898 Krag carbine could wear later carbine sights but usually not the 1896. It would fit on an 1898 Krag carbine, again with the correct hand guard and barrel band as in the pictures below.

Also notice how the "C" mark is hidden by the hand guard when the carbine sight is mounted. You only see the right side "C" when it is removed.

Thanks for sharing. Where did you get this sight?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Also, you would appreciate the good variety of pictures on this KCA forum under the heading of "Photos" on the home page that show different sights and hand guards as well as lots of other things Krag. We've got lots of ways to help out!

I have been helped by many on this forum when I started collecting and have made some good Krag collecting friends in the process.

Also, in the "Articles" section of this forum, there is a story of how I stumbled into my first 1896 Krag carbine sight entitled "Search for the '96 or A Tale of Two Carbines."

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Hello: Thanks for the reply. The sight came on a krag represented as a 1898 carbine. From what I have learned on this site I was pretty sure it was not as represented. Even so the price was not bad and I purchased it. The action and barrel have been reblued. The stock at one time had swivels which holes have since been plugged.there is a cleaning rod, oiler and sight cover. I wanted a shooter and figured this was a good candidate.
       Thanks again, kc

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 1:08am
Print Post  
We'd love to see pictures of the Krag you bought. Sounds like you got quite a nice package, even if it isn't all original. Krag 1898 carbines are somewhat rare by themselves. There were only 5002 of them made.

The front sight rifle cover, if that is what you got, sells for around $70 by itself. The carbine front sight cover is more valuable and has a "c" marked on it also.

If you get a chance, please post more pictures.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 1:59am
Print Post  
'King Carp' - I'm sorry to disagree with 'Whig' and report negatively on your rear-sight, but, I am sure it is a FAKE.

IMHO - The "C" on the base is the wrong font. The "20" on the leaf is also a different font than the other numbers and the spacing of the index line with the 20 looks wrong.

The #4 on the side of the base appears tilted and hand-stamped.

I believe your sight-leaf has the 'high hump' at the pivot screw. This is an early model 1896 sight feature. Too bad if someone doctored one of these hard to find sights.

Whoever made this is an 'advanced faker'. He altered the sight slide so it has the 'step-down' area bracketing the "V" notch, like a carbine slide.

It would be fun to examine this sight directly, next to a real McCoy!
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2019 at 3:55am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Butler- you have looked at the sight better than I have to see that stuff. i have never seen a fake this good. I was only looking at a few details and said I really couldn't see everything well and it needed better examination.

If it is a fake, it is the best I've seen.

And, as always, we need to all look at things to see what others don't. I'd like to see better pictures.

The "C"s look right compared to mine which is what I often see faked. I didn't look at the slides well.

Do you think the ladder is faked also? Those numbers look good as does the "C" above the 19.

Interesting. I would like to see better pictures to compare.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 3:57am
Print Post  
Thanks for the advise. I  questioned the sight because of its excellent condition. That is why I asked for the "pros" to check it out. This rifle came from a collector who has passed away. The family and I agreed on price which is for a sporterized krag. We used this site and some auction sites to come up with a price. I will get some more pics of it tommoriw. As I said I wanted a rifle I could shoot and not care about ruining a collectable piece. I was planning on putting a Lyman or redfield peep sight on it. If a nice spotter stock shows up that would be fine too.
        Thanks again for the help, kc

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 4:08am
Print Post  
Pic of krag

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 4:08am
Print Post  
More

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 4:09am
Print Post  
More

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 4:09am
Print Post  
More

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 4:11am
Print Post  
It likely is an early model 1896 rifle leaf. The "20" is bogus, both font and spacing. The "C" is not spaced correctly on the leaf.

The "C" on the base is wrong style of font.

My opinion.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint