Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
First Krag (Read 1776 times)
retro
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

First Krag
Jun 22nd, 2019 at 4:43am
Print Post  
Hi there. I'm new to this group and new to Krag's. It seems that I inherited what appears to be a nice 1898 Springfield Krag. From what I can gather the rifle was manufactured in 1902 and the serial # is 417114. There is some minor patina (rust) on the barrel, the bore is bright and the wood has no cracks. There is a bayonet with it but it doesn't seem to have the mounting hardware on the stock. I believe that the stock has been modified but I'm not sure as I have no point of reference. I'm more of an AR guy so this is foreign to me. It appears that I'm limited to five pictures but can post additional if needed.

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand." ― Bertrand Russell

IP Logged

retro
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: First Krag
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 4:50am
Print Post  
Here are some more pictures on my Krag

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand." ― Bertrand Russell

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Retro - welcome to the Krag Collector's Association! You have inherited what looks like a Model 1898 Krag rifle that has had the original long rifle stock cut down from its full length. The front sight looks like it is brazed onto the barrel properly so the barrel probably is still 30" long but should be measured. The original longer stock had a front barrel band on it that had a bayonet lug for your bayonet to attach.

The rear sight appears to be a Model 1901 Krag rifle rear sight and that works fine on this rifle.

The metal of the receiver looks shinier than it should so it may have been reblued at some point in its history.

If the action works fine and the chamber and bolt all look intact, it should be a good, accurate shooting rifle. The rifle uses 30-40 Krag ammunition which can still be found online at different sights and in some older gun stores. It usually costs around $1.50 per round or more if you find some. It's an easy shooting round that can be very accurate and is still powerful enough for hunting most game in North America. Many of us shoot our Krags for accuracy even with the open sights. The condition of the barrel is not important because even quite worn bores can still be accurate.

So, have your rifle checked out by someone who can make sure it looks worth of being shot and give it a go. Make sure you keep any brass from shooting because reloading the 30-40 Krag round is also lots of fun.

If you have other questions, let us know. More people might chime in with additional information about your rifle. We all look at them differently and pick up on different details.

Thanks for sharing your new rifle!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
'retro's stock was also reshaped in the wrist area. The comb has been moved way back.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
That's a weeird, looong wrist!

IP Logged

retro
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Out of curiosity, what would be the value on a gun like this? I'm not sure of the re-blueing. I liberally applied gun oil and oiled the stock  just before I took the pictures.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
A correct stock, if you can find one not severely damaged or altered, will cost around $400. Your rifle in a correct, reasonable, stock would be valued around $800 if everything we see is in reasonable, functioning, condition. That would value what you have at somewhere around $400.

That's an estimate without seeing the rifle and bore in person.

It can be a good shooting rifle, though, which would make it a keeper for a lot of people!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint