Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 New member wanting krag information. (Read 3247 times)
Jared123candy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New member wanting krag information.
Jun 26th, 2019 at 2:27am
Print Post  
So I am looking at purchasing a krag from a friend of mine. The only info I have on it at the time is it says 1899 on the reciever and a couple pictures of it. which I don't know as of yet if it does it justice. I was curious if you can tell if it's something possibly sporterized or what I would need to make it back into original. Also I know it needs a rear sight but can't find any online marked 1899. Also I will try and get pictures later. Sorry if I am asking questions that are already answered Andi appreciate any input thank you.

IP Logged

Jared123candy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New member wanting krag information.
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 2:28am
Print Post  
Another picture

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 3:33am
Print Post  
'Jared123candy' - The Krag you have been offered has been' sportered' for Hunting. It is not practical to 'restore' it. (It could cost about $1,000 for correct parts, alone).

Also, there are other problems fatal to restoring: 'New' holes were drilled & tapped into the Receiver to attach a commercial 'peep' sight. The barrel appears shortened with an 'after-market' front-sight attached. 

A Krag action marked "model 1899" started out as a Carbine. Your friend's Krag is now residing in a 'cut-down' rifle stock.

IMHO - The only sensible thing is to use this Krag as it is. A realistic value is $200 to $300.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 10:26am
Print Post  
First of all... welcome to the forum Jared123candy.  Be very cautious where Krags are concerned... they're very addicting!

Sadly, as Butlersrangers has pointed out, there ain't much there to work with without spending as much as a correct rifle would cost to purchase.  It would, however be a very handy hunting rifle and fun shooter as is!

I'm curious as to whether it's a carbine barrel or a cutdown rifle barrel?  It's not uncommon to find rifles cut down with aftermarket front sights attached.  I can't imagine why someone would remove the original front sight to attach a different one considering what it would take to remove it.  Is it possible that the receiver is stamped 1898 and just misread?

IP Logged

Jared123candy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Yes it is for sure marked 1899. I will probably buy it anyways as a shooter because it still just seems like a cool rifle. And then I will post pictures of it up. That's why I was hoping it wasn't cut down or anything because the reciever was marked 1899. But who knows his could be a pieced together Frankenstein rifle haha. I am glad to be on this sight though so maybe I can find an original unmolested 1899 for sale to add to my collection. Please if anyone has one send me a pm. Thank you guys for the help and yes they are very addicting I have quite a bit of old rifles and these seem to be the neatest to me.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
On some of these Krags you see original sights and other parts replaced with aftermarket stuff. It seems to me that it would be worth asking if the original parts go with it, maybe the they are even put away in the boxes the aftermarket parts came in. If so in this case the value would change drastically.

IP Logged

Jared123candy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately FredC it just comes with the the rifle. I wish it had the other parts though. The buddy of mine im getting this from bought it at a gun show over a year ago to go shooting with his grandson. But since his grandson seems to have now interest in those older vintage rifles he felt he should just sell it to someone who would appreciate it. I knew the stock looked fishy and even the front sight so I asked him if it's sporterized and he thought it was completely stock. So I felt I better go ask the experts on here there input.and I do appreciate it. He was asking $500 and I will try to negotiate him down a bit on it. But after holding this one it made me want one that was complete and unmolested haha this must be the addiction they talk about

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Do NOT, repeat not, sink $500 into that! For just a couple of hundred more you can find a very decent original rifle.

IP Logged

Jared123candy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Ok I definitely will not Dick Hosmer, again I am glad I went onto here to get good information before I made a mistake

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Jared, I fully agree with Dick that you would be much happier holding off on sinking hundreds into this altered carbine and saving a little more for a fully authentic and correct Model 1899 carbine or another full military condition Krag rifle!

That doesn't mean that you can't enjoy this one. We just have enough experience to know what's available for what price range and we also know the difference between owning a cut down carbine compared to an unaltered one.

Many of us have sporterized Krags that shoot great and are fun rifles to own and collect. But, there is a huge price difference between original condition Krags and sporterized ones. Many sporterized Krags that are wearing nice scopes can be purchased for $300-500. The condition of the bore is very important in evaluating a Krag also. Some terrible, pitted, worn bores can shoot quite well but your chances of getting a great shooter are much higher with a Krag that has a good bore with minimal pitting. There are many out there.

So, be a little discriminating about your purchase. I personally wouldn't buy this one but if you do, try to get it for $300. If you wait and save up and keep looking with our help, you'll eventually find a much better choice for more money, but it will be well worth it!

Good luck!

IP Logged

Jared123candy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Alright Whig thanks for your input. I definitely have that problem where i see something and instantly want to buy it without realizing i just wasted my money. But I'm going to get him down to 3 if not I won't pick it up. Also I'll make sure to check the bore and see of its a good shooter. Like I said he is a friend so he will probably even let me take it out and shoot it before I buy it. And I'll keep on here looking at the classifieds to see if anyone has a really nice  krag that I want to hang up or keep I'm the safe:) Again thanks guys, I appreciate the info even if it's not what I was hoping to hear:)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
'Jared' - I forgot my manners. Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Everyone, has given good advice. Many of us started with an 'Altered Krag'. It is easy to spend too much and 're-sale' is difficult.

I have a couple of Krags, that were altered for hunting. I enjoy these a lot and take them to the range often. They have excellent bores and lots of 'good parts' on them.

You would probably find an inexpensive book ($25), Joe Poyer's: "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", interesting and beneficial. The book has flaws and some mistakes, but, I find it educational and useful.

The Krag stock is relatively weak. Your friend's is missing some wood (a common flaw) between the bolt-handle and magazine-gate. There may be a crack in the wood, where I have indicated with an 'arrow'.
(Repairable with Acraglas epoxy-bedding, but, another thing to look for with Krags).

IP Logged

Jared123candy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks butlersrangers I will definitely look into getting that book to get more educated. And that is crazy I didn't even notice that possible crack and I have been looking at those pictures constantly. But now that you pointed it out it seems to be really obvious.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint