Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 New member...new Krag (Read 3133 times)
Lead Snowstorm
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New member...new Krag
Jun 30th, 2019 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Greetings all!  I came across this forum  researching a recent purchase (always dangerous, researching *after* the purchase!) and wanted to see if ya'll had any thoughts or info on my 'new' (only 120 years old!) rifle:

IP Logged

Lead Snowstorm
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New member...new Krag
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 2:15am
Print Post  
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

The bore is about a 3 on my muzzle gauge and is a bit frosted with some pitting.

Thanks for all the great information on the site - I look forward to learning more here!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 3:17am
Print Post  
Lead- Welcome to the Krag Collector's Association! You have come to and joined a great group of Krag collectors who love everything Krag and always enjoy sharing with and learning from new Krag owners!

Looks like you have made a great first start to your Krag rifle collection. Your Krag rifle serial number 223502 started life as a Krag rifle somewhere around early 1900. The Model 1898 Krag was the most produced Krag rifle and the cartouche on the left side of the stock shows the date the stock was produced but did not always get mated to the receiver at that exact time. So, your stock dated 1899 may be the original stock that was used when this Model 1898 rifle was initially produced at Springfield Armory. The cartouche has the initials of J. Sumner Adams who was an assistant foreman at Springfield Armory when these rifles were produced. The fancy "P" behind the trigger guard is a proof mark. Your rifle's serial number is not listed in the Springfield Research Service manuals of known documented serial numbers for Krag rifles and carbines. Documented Krags have more collector's interest and value but yours appears to be very correct and possibly original as produced at Springfield Armory which makes it quite collectible to many of us Krag purists.

The stock is the original length uncut and the front sight and rear 1902 sight look to be correct for this rifle also. Krag rifles often had different sights depending on when the rifle was built or rebuilt by the armory. This is an area of a lot of confusion to many of us as we start to learn about Krags.

The rear sight screw and trigger guard screws look almost untouched which could mean the sight and hand guard and trigger guard were never removed from your rifle. The patina looks very close to matching on most parts which is good also.

Your bore shows typical signs of some pitting from the corrosive mercuric primers from that era but the rifling looks good and the rifle probably will still shoot well.

cont'd

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Ammunition is still available for the Krag and reloading the 30-40 Krag ammo is a great hobby that most of enjoy along with shooting the Krags. If you don't reload now, make sure that you save all of your brass to reload at some time in the future. We can help with that also.

Were any cleaning rods or an oiler located in the butt trap of your rifle?

Others will chime in to add to the discussion (or correct what I have said!) about your nice Krag rifle. There are many different opinions and perspectives we all have about our hobby. I'm still learning myself. Krags can be quite complicated regarding the exact details of the history and changes made at different times.

Your Krag rifle, in it's current condition, looks to be valued at around $1,000. You can find these at any range from $800-1200. So, if you didn't pay much more than this, it looks like you made a good purchase. I don't see any major problems but others will look at respond also. I would like to see a better close up of your front sight to make sure it is correct and unaltered.

You also should get Poyer's book which is a good beginning book on Krags. There are others but they can be involved and expensive.

But congrats and welcome!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 4:09am
Print Post  
'Lead_Snowstorm' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. You have purchased a nice example of a U.S. Model 1898 Krag.

My information varies slightly from what 'Whig' has concisely reported.

I believe your Krag was assembled around August or September, 1899. Your stock's 'Acceptance Cartouche', dated 1899, agrees nicely with the probable manufacture period.

The screw 'slots' on your Krag are clean and crisp, a good sign this rifle hasn't been 'messed with'.

Your Krag has a legitimate version of the 1902 (Dickson) sight. Yours is the version that used a re-contoured (1898) eyepiece on a 1902 base.

When first manufactured, your Krag likely had the three "V" notch model 1898 rear-sight and a shorter front-blade.
This sight combination was for the newly introduced 2,200 FPS cartridge.

When bolt-lugs began to crack, the Ordnance Department went back to the 2,000 FPS load. The model 1898 sights became obsolete and were likely removed.

The shorter 1898 sight- bases were likely sold for scrap. The leaf and reshaped 'eyepiece' were used to make some model 1902 sights.

BTW - The front sight blade, that is used with the 1902 rear-sight, measures approximately .413 inches in height, when removed from the barrel mounted base.

Photo attached of an original model 1898 rifle sight:

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 5:12am
Print Post  
Lead Snowstorm wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 2:15am:
Greetings all!  I came across this forum  researching a recent purchase (always dangerous, researching *after* the purchase!) and wanted to see if ya'll had any thoughts or info on my 'new' (only 120 years old!) rifle:

Have a few thoughts.

How does it shoot?
Do you have pics of the targets?
May I shoot it?  Ooooooooooooo Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ammo is out there.  Ammoseek is your friend.  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

Buy a set of reloading dies after you get two cases of .30-40 cartridges, 400 rounds.  Buy it now and you won't cry if the Damocrats get back in power.

Welcome to the Forum. 

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Butlers:  I have numerous resources that have differing dates of manufacture for Krags. I have never known which one to use and trust. I frequently have differing dates than others state, like you.

Please tell me which resource you use and trust for dates of manufacture. I'd like to use whatever most people agree on. I know there are many inaccurate sights with Krag info. I try to rely on Mallory as much as I can.

Thanks for clarifying this for me!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:52am
Print Post  
I take Krag manufacture dates with a grain of salt, realizing they can be months off and that anomalies occur.

I check the serial number against dates in Poyer's book and on a 'Krag Crap' estimate table, done by Bill Mook, and viewable on Joe Farmer's web site as: 'Bill Mook's unpublished book'.

I avoid other internet sources, like Bowers, because they tend to be very questionable.

In the case of Lead_Snowstorm's rifle, the above tables showed a credible match between manufacture and acceptance.

A rifle can't be accepted before it is made. (This would indicate a stock was switched).

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
It would be nice to have the KCA officially adopt an acceptable list to prevent confusion. I trust Mook and Joe Farmer. I know about Bowers but there is still a ton of conflicting info.

I also have been told Poyer's is not always correct.

Thanks for your references though!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Whig - I appreciate all the neat documents and references you find and post on the KCA Forum.

Don't be offended, if I have a slightly different take on a piece of Krag trivia, from time to time.

I hold you in high regard.

IMHO - Krag serial numbers were not all that important back when Krags were made.
We know U.S. Krags were not assembled in numerical order. It will always be a 'guesstimate', as to how long a serial numbered receiver could linger in parts bins, until it got pulled out and assembled into an arm.

To add to the confusion, many Krags were taken apart, good components were arsenal refurbished, and the parts were officially reassembled as a U.S. arm.

IP Logged

Lead Snowstorm
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Awesome info, especially the rear sight - that had me a bit confused.  Didn't look like the pictures of the 1902 sights I'd seen, but didn't look exactly like the 1898s either.

Glad to hear the opinion about value - I found this one online, and with shipping and transfer fees I'm into it for about $770.  This particular rifle filled the gap in my collection between the 1873 and the 1903.  Have to decide now if I want to focus on getting more of the variants of the cartridge era (1884, 92/96 Krags, carbines, etc) or to go farther back in time...

Alas, the butt trap was empty.  Double alas, I haven't fired it yet.  I have to admit right now I'm in a 'collecting' phase - with a couple of toddlers I have some time to shop, little enough time/space to shoot and clean...! 

Here are some photos of the front sight...let me know if any other photos would be useful:

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Not at all! I have too much to learn from others to ever be offended. Thanks for the comments, though. I just like to be able to help others and be on the same "page" as those who have been studying these things longer than I have. Only way to learn.

That's why it would be neat for the KCA, often regarded as THE resource for people to go to for Krag info, to adopt and agree on a reference source for at least getting close for Krag manufacture dates.

Heck, we could all be wrong but at least we would agree!

Happy 4th coming up.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Lead- Thanks for the additional pictures. Nothing surprising or concerning. There is honest wear to the barrel and parts but it all looks to be fairly consistent throughout which is something we like to see.

If parts had been changed in the recent past 50 years or so outside of the armory, the wear and patina usually don't match. That makes us suspicious that someone buggered with the rifle who may have done some hidden damage. But, yours looks real good and hopefully will be a great shooter when you get some ammo.

Like you, I bought a Springfield Trapdoor rifle a while ago to add to my collection of Krags because there is a lot of similarity in the Springfield rifles and you can follow the progress made in military firearms by collecting pieces from different times and battles. The Krag has a wonderful variety in its short history to keep you looking and learning for years.

Keep collecting and keep the pictures coming. Thanks.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
'Lead_Snowstorm' - That is the correct front-sight blade for all the variations of the 1902 sight. IMHO - You have legitimate sights on your Krag.

A good place to get a correct Krag oil bottle and three-section rod (for the butt-trap) is "Grandpa's Gunparts" (in the KCA 'classifieds'). He sells the set for about $50 and they are legitimate.

On ebay he goes by 'Movieman630' and postage is free - (Great Service!).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint