Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 1895 Winchester (Read 4995 times)
Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1895 Winchester
Jun 30th, 2019 at 4:55am
Print Post  
Below is from "The United States Army and Navy Journal" dated 3/19/1898. The Winchester rifle referred to in the article is undoubtedly the Model 1895. The Spanish American War started 4/21/1898. So it is interesting to see that at first Brigadier General Flagler was going to increase the output of Krags at the Springfield Armory, then rescinded his decision because of Winchester being able to supply volunteer units with their new leveraction in case of hostilities. This large contract was eventually cancelled. But the reasons given to use the Winchester seemed logical to me.

"Brig. Gen. Flagler, Chief of Ordnance of the Army, has rescinded the order issued by him a few days ago to Maj. Isaac Arnold, Jr., commanding Springfield Arsenal to increase the output of Krag-Jorgensen rifles to the fullest capacity of the Arsenal. The rush order was not countermanded on account of any change of policy on the part of the War Department regarding the continuation of emergency preparations, but merely because the present supply of Krag-Jorgensen rifles is sufficient for the prospective needs of the regular Army. There are now on hand about 50,000 of these rifles, which is nearly three times as many as are now in the hands of the regular troops. Since, in the event of an emergency the War Department will probably arm volunteer soldiers with the latest improved Winchester rifle, caliber .30, it was decided that there was no necessity of increasing the output of Krag-Jorgensens. The Winchester. Arms Co. is now running on a large contract for caliber .30 rifles. The Springfield Arsenal will continue to manufacture Krag-Jørgensens at the usual peace-basis rate of about 200 rifles and carbines per day. The new Winchester rifle is favored for the use of the volunteers on the ground that its use in inexperienced hands is more easily acquired than that of the Krag-Jorgensen. As its caliber is the same as that of the regular Army small arm, interchangeable ammunition can be used."

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1895 Winchester
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Brigadier General Flagler was chastised for rescinding his earlier order when the war started. At the end of April 1898, Flagler expedited the rapid production of the Magazine Rifle. The workforce at the Springfield Armory was tripled and the hours of operation extended to 20 per day.

It is interesting to note here that Major General Nelson A. Miles demanded that the War Department replace the Krag Jorgensen early in the war and wanted other rifles to be obtained from foreign countries. Flagler was totally against this. The Secretary of War, Russell A. Alger, sided with Flagler and rebuffed Miles. It appears to me that Miles, who was leading the Army, should be further researched for his reasoning and possible motives.

This forum would likely not exist today if Miles got his way. What would we be doing for fun then?

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 3:38am
Print Post  
I believe I found Major General Miles' issue. Below is a report of his made from a tour of Europe between May 5th to October 10th, 1897. Published 1899.

"On the 9th of July I visited the small-arms factory at Enfield, 12 miles distant from London. Here is made the Lee-Metford rifle; also the conversion of the older models of the Martini-Henry to this caliber. With some modifications the Lee-Metford is the same as the Lee rifle invented in this country. Much of the machinery used in this manufactory is imported from the United States. I was informed that they had already made 750,000 of the Lee-Metford rifles. Besides this, these arms are made at two private factories in London, and at Birmingham, where a certain number are constructed for the Government. The Maxim machine gun is also made here. The full force employed at Enfield is about 4,000 men. At the time of my visit, there were about 2,300 at work. Enfield is capable of turning out 1,000 guns a week. This rifle has a magazine carrying ten cartridges. The cleaning apparatus with oiler is carried in the stock in an ingenious way. The rifle is sighted up to 2,800 yards. It has a peep-sight, and I consider it an excellent and effective weapon, much superior to our own. I recommended practically this same gun for our service 18 years ago, and it is now used by our navy."

So the Board didn't select his pick. He must have been much irritated. And the Navy was also reluctant to give up their Lee rifle for the Krag Jorgensen.

So what say ye? Is the Lee-Metford better than the Krag Jorgensen?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:02am
Print Post  
I started my early gun collecting with Lee-Enfields.  Smiley

In time, the Lee-Metford evolved into the Short Magazine Lee-Enfield. The .303 caliber S.M.L-E proved to be a great battle rifle during WW1. Getting to that point was difficult and painful for the British.

In fact they adopted the (Mauser 'Clone') Pattern 1913 Enfield in .276 caliber (7mm) and had started making them, when "The Great War" got in the way!

I do not consider the Lee-Metford or similar early Lee-Enfield to be better rifles than the Krag.

Both British rifles were a disappointment during the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902). They were outclassed by the Boers armed with 7mm Mausers (identical to the Spanish Model 1893).

The Metford rifling did not survive long. It wore out quickly with the heat of Cordite and jacketed bullets. There was a change to Enfield rifling to improve barrel life.
The sights were fragile and Sighting was poorly regulated.

The British went to 'Charger-Loading' in the early 1900's as the result of lessons learned in the Boer War.

The Lee-Metford and Lee-Enfield rifles were used as 'Single-Shot' rifles, with the 10 round magazine held in reserve. There were no spare magazines; the soldier had a difficult task loading single rounds into the Lee magazine.

The Krag's ergonomics and side loading-gate allowed faster reloading of the magazine. With a one piece stock and better bedding system, most Krags 'off the rack' were more accurate than the early Lee-Metford and Lee-Enfield rifles.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:39am
Print Post  
I suspect General Miles was of the 'camp' that the U.S. should have adopted a U.S. rifle.

Although the British Lee rifles and their ammunition had a lot of "Growing Pains", as did the U.S. Krag, the British Lee was a lot better rifle than the Remington-Lee.

Michigan authorities knew by 1900, that they had bought a "turkey" and refused to buy more (model 1899) Remington-Lee Small-Bore Magazine Rifles for the Michigan Naval Reserves.

The Remington-Lee had an extremely fragile stock in the wrist area. The bolt has four 'lugs' that required lots of hand fitting. Rifle bolts were not interchangeable. The small action parts were vulnerable.

The rifle was designed to be used as a 'single-shot', with four loaded (five-shot) magazines carried in pockets on the Mills Belt.

When the order was given "to load magazines", 20 shots could be rapidly delivered, but, then things slowed way down, to single loading.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 11:19am
Print Post  
BR, thanks for your expert input on this subject. I suspected some of the answer you have given, but didn't have any background on the Lee designs.

So what I see here is that General Miles, head of the U.S. Army at the time, had a very strong opinion of what gun the Army should be using. There was a board to select and "recommend" a magazine gun, which made the Krag-Jorgensen their pick. It was adopted under much consternation by many, partially due to it's pedigree. General Miles' voice on the subject wasn't given much credence, which had to upset Miles quite a bit. The leader of the Army that was overruled by a board that he likely felt had less experience/knowledge than he had. Why would he want to change rifles with a war on the horizon if he hadn't either felt strong about his convictions or was just sore about the events? So yes, as we know, the Krag-Jorgensen had a rocky start on its acceptance. Coupled with the Russel-Livermore charges of patent infringements (that went to the Supreme Court and lingered there for a few years) Flagler had side issues. Yet he persevered with the Krag-Jorgensen design.

So back to the 1895 Winchester. It was dropped because of it's "inferior design" as labelled by the Ordnance Department. It was just surprising to see that it was one of the "go to" rifles up to a month or two before the SAW. Somehow it had rapidly fallen from grace. This I am trying to look into a little more.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Field Testing of Winchesters in Philippines, 1900.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
So I was wrong in my opening post. The "large order" wasn't cancelled. It just wasn't as large as I was thinking (only 10,000) and only few of the Winchesters were available at the beginning of the SAW. The last of them were finished after the SAW and used in the Philippines. Thanks for clarifying.

There had to be quite a bit of friction between Flagler and Miles. Miles would have been the Commanding General of the Army that went around Flagler (Ordnance Department) to get the $207,000 for the 10,000 Winchester rifles.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 1:49am
Print Post  
So I just wanted to tie everything together. I may have posted this link before from Ainslee's Magazine dated March 1901. On page 102 it has further proof that General Miles wanted to replace the Krag-Jorgensen with the Lee. And it also mentions the 10,000 Winchesters. The entire article starts on page 99.
In part the article reads:  "In other words, with war in sight, his proposition was to shut down the Springfield armory altogether, for under the law making appropriations for the army it had been especially provided by Congress that the Krag-Jorgensen rifle and no other was to be made."

Also note that in BR's reply above that the report only referred to General Miles as "the Commanding General of the Army" and didn't dignify him by name.

Such was the political world surrounding the Krag-Jorgensen.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
l+miles&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj9iO6H57rjAhXTGs0KHbngCP0Q6AEIODAD#v=onepage&q=kra
g%20jorgensen%20general%20miles&f=false

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 2:26am
Print Post  
Again, not looking for this specifically, but it was found nonetheless. The following link collaborates a lot of what was found above and some new information.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Neat old magazine articles Knute!

In a related vein, A Winchester catalog from my youth ....

You know what they say: "There's one in every crowd" ....

I want to be ... "That Guy"!

(The one with the model 1896 or 1898 Krag carbine).

Actually - Use the KCA "Search Window" (and type - Morenci) to get more information about this Winchester PR Blunder in old KCA threads.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
The article about the Rangers said the guy with the Krag looked uneasy. I think he looks happy. I don't own a Winchester. I'm a "Marlin Man".

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Well, they ain't Texas Rangers either.

(I'm a Marlin Man, too. But, I'd sure like to have a model 1895 Winchester in .30-40).

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Well, I ain't got one either (1895 Winchester in 30-40), but in a different post months ago I presented such a rifle that an uncle sold that had belonged to a Great Grandfather and set my brother up to get it back. It will be an annual thing where he brings it down to have a family shoot with it (at least the last 2 years).

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2019 at 1:19am by Knute1 »  

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Oct 25th, 2019 at 1:20am
Print Post  
Side view. Not bad for $650 to get it back in the family.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint