Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Long "Tom" and "S" Krags for sale! (Read 1714 times)
Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Long "Tom" and "S" Krags for sale!
Jul 1st, 2019 at 12:09am
Print Post  
My July and October 1958 American Rifleman has a great sale going on for Krags. I love the "Ye Old Hunter" Logo!

But, I have never heard of a "Long Tom" or "S" designation for Krags. Has anyone else? Where did this come from?

And you can be "glad" that your short rifle comes "handguardless", as the ad states. Those nasty hand guards just get in the way, you know.

The "S" might stand for "short rifle", I think, referring to a modified school rifle.

Full size military Krag only $16.95. Where's my charge card?!

And your carbine, only $24.95, is so authentic it still smells of horses! Who wouldn't want that authenticity!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Long "Tom" and "S" Krags for sale!
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Dick, you might know something about this "Long Tom" designation. I found this reference in a quick search and it refers to the Trapdoor Springfield sling being called a "Long Tom":

The Springfield trapdoor .45-70 rifle was equipped with the Model 1887 sling, as was the first bolt-action rifle adopted by the United States, the Krag-Jorgensen. This sling known as the ‘Long Tom”, was a single piece of leather 68 1/2 inches long.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
I've heard the term, of course, but just accepted it as vernacular and never followed up on what was actually meant.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
'Ye Old Hunter' advertisements always had colorful and inaccurate blarney in them, as a marketing ploy.

In reality, "Long Tom" was a slang name that had been around, since at least the War of 1812, for some cannon and field guns. It was probably used even earlier as a 'nick name' for Naval swivel-guns.

The British used the term for the Six Inch Creusot Gun, the Boers harassed them with, at the Siege of Mafeking. (Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902).

The U.S. Military had it as a slang name for the 155mm Howitzer in use during WW2.

Calling a long barreled rifle, "Long John" (Silver), would have been kind of lame!  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint