Cryogenics (Read 2508 times)
Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Cryogenics
Jul 3rd, 2019 at 6:34am
Print Post  
Has anybody had their firearms cryogenically treated or has an opinion about this process???

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Cryogenics
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 8:55am
Print Post  
I have a few JP Enterprise AR-15s that have cryggenically (cryo-accurizing) treated barrels. They have done this routinely to their barrels for many years and are known for heir advanced accuracy. JP Enterprises and Wilson Combat are my two favorite firearms companies for accuracy and extremely well built firearms.

I have shot tens of thousands of rounds through both companies' ARs and love them both. They both produce sub-MOA ARs with great dependability.

So, I think there is more than just the barrel that makes a great rifle. The cryo-accurizing may add to this accuracy and long-term dependability but I don't think it's exclusive.

I shot thousands of rounds of Russian steel (Wolf) ammo through one of my cryo treated barrel ARs (JP-15) rifles years ago when I was doing a lot of training during the ammo shortage. I bought a pallet of this ammo directly from the manufacturer and provided many of our club members (and me) ammo for those lean years. It caused a crazing of the bore of the barrel in a strange way and JP Enterprises examined the barrel and replaced it at no charge. They said that the steel ammo somehow caused excessive heat damage to the barrel and caused the early damage. It was many thousands of rounds shot and often 2-300 at a time, so, I don't know. It may have been defective in some way also. But, I talked to John Paul directly about this (JP- the owner) and he advised me only to shoot brass ammo in his rifles because of heat issues. It is one of those things- why spend more money for great quality rifles and shoot crappy ammo.

I have followed his advice since then. I didn't reload .223 back then and have done so since.

I don't know much about the science behind this process. JP Enterprises may have some info on their website.

Hope this helps.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Thank you Whig!

It's good to have someones opinion who has had first hand experience.

I've used JP trigger springs in some of my AR builds and I love them.

I'm thinking about having the cryo done to one of my Krag 1898 rifles.  Figure I need every advantage I can get if I ever make it down to Perry and shoot with the boys!  But I do hesitate when it comes to dinking with my babies.

Thanks again Whig.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
You're welcome but you raise some issues and questions. I'm not sure the metallurgy of the Krag barrel, 120 years old, can or will stand up to a cryo treatment like JP does on their contemporary barrels. You're comparing apples to oranges, possibly. Never heard of that done.

Another issue is whether Perry allows altered barrels to qualify. Paul would know that.

A third, and probably the biggest issue to me, is that these Krag rifles, especially the ones with good bores and tighter chambers, are VERY capable of shooting MOA, even at longer distances! I have been doing this recently and have been getting more consistently able to do so regularly, with my hand loads. Others on this forum have done the same. It's not a deficiency of the barrel metallurgy that prevents many of us from shooting our Krags well- it's a deficiency of our shooting skills and ammunition. Again, this is with a good Krag. There are many out there.

I say the above if I'm hearing you correctly that you want an "advantage" to get you shooting well enough to go to Camp Perry.

I'd like to hear other Krag-philes chime in on this.

But, interesting idea. Goods luck and keep us informed.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
I concur with your reasoning and wouldn't have the cryo done without further research.

The "advantage" statement was more tongue-n-cheek.

However...you do bring up some good points to ponder.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
"Local Boy" - Why don't you just leave your Krag outside through an Alaskan Winter?  Grin

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Lol😆

That's a great idea BR but unfortunately due to climate change we rarely even get below -300 degrees anymore.

Actually, winters down your way have been much more severe!  In fact...The Alaska Department of Fish and Game is entertaining the idea of rounding up our polar bears and having them winter in the areas surrounding the Great Lakes.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Well that would clean out Toledo and Cleveland.  However would they be able to migrate south to Akron, Columbus and Cincinnati?  Plenty of eats in all five places.  No more staving bear pictures on the Daily Mail.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Polar bears have been known to roam great distances in search of food.

However, they may not range very far from such abbundant food resources such as what can be found in Chicago, Clevelend or the Michigan peninsula.

Too many tasty treats!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint