Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 NRA Cutdown? (Read 6438 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: NRA Cutdown?
Reply #15 - Jul 13th, 2019 at 12:59am
Print Post  
I'm familiar with the 1903 Springfield front-sight 'banded' base, barrel groove, key and cross pin.

IIRC - Some 1903 'banded' bases did not use a key and were held on with just the cross-pin and shallow groove across the top of the barrel (step).

A handy machinist can 'step' a barrel at the muzzle, 'easy-peasy'.

With a close fit, the front-base can be driven on and will stay in place by friction alone.

Some 'J B Weld' coating the inside of the sight 'band' and a shallow notch or countersink on the barrel step would definitely keep the band locked in place.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2019 at 2:56am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jul 13th, 2019 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
In my humble opinion, I would do as Butlersrangers suggested and go with the 30 inch Criterion barrel.  The CMP would correctly install the barrel and it would be indexed properly for the extractor notch.  The reproduction front sight post would be far better than installing a 1903 sight... and would only aid in accuracy and value.  Although the rear sight holes are not the same thread as the originals, replacement screws would work fine and the CMP's installation would insure a good fit of the sight.  A Win/Win!

IP Logged

Krag0matic
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 1:41am
Print Post  
The 30" Barrel would put it back to the correct set up per the serial number, but then I would need a full rifle stock with a 1900 dated Cart, and all the trimmings to get it back to a somewhat restored, as it began sort of form.
The 22" Barrel will put it back to current altered form, unless I use the original Krag front sight,,, Hmmm, decisions, decisions... Thanks to everyone for the input, I have much to ponder...  Undecided

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
My first Krag was what I thought was an NRA Krag. I was very disappointed when I figured out that it wasn’t and didn’t know what to do, try to make it into a fake Span Am carbine or fake NRA carbine? It hid in my safe for a while while I found an honest Krag School rifle to play Krag with. I eventually got back to pondering my fake’s fate and stumbled onto the Scout Rifle Forum. My Krag Scout build is shown there. Once a firearm is permanently altered [bbl cut] it’s not original anymore and while it can be rebuilt back it’s not original as the serial number and refinishing doesn’t lie. Good luck on your rebuild.
The other rifle is a sporterized 21 inch bbl ‘03 Springfield that I rebuilt back into a military stock.

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Can’t get both photos on my last post so here’s my cut down ‘03.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Nice looking fun 'rescue rifles', Baltimoreed!

(Gorgeous looking .45, too)!

IP Logged

Krag0matic
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Baltimoreed;
Nice Krag and 03. I have been leaning toward keeping my rifle as it was modified previously, in essence putting a hold on it's continued evolution modifications where it is, without going backward, and adding to an endless history of further modifications. As is, mine has many unusual features, and I feel going beyond getting it back into functioning order would just be futile. The other option is to leave it as a wall ornament, which I am not very fond of doing. I may go with an original, used cut down Barrel of the same length though, instead of the new Criteron Barrel, and then just have CMP do the work to keep the mod's original flavor. Still pondering it. Thanks for sharing the Photo's, Nice! Grin

IP Logged

Rcat7147
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
In my experience, Krag barrels index well from rifle to rifle.  In other words, swapping barrels is quite easy.
For the cost of the new barrel and CMP doing the work (about $350), you could get a nice sporter barrel and the tools to do the exchange yourself.

I documented this over at the Milsurps forum.  Mods, if this is out of line, please remove the link: (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint