Unidentified Krag (Read 1119 times)
phoenix1647
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Unidentified Krag
Jul 18th, 2019 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Greetings….

I am new to this forum. I have a Krag (I think) but do not know what kind it is. It has been in the family since the 40's and I do not know how it came into the family.

I can not find any serial number on this weapon. All the parts are stamped 1557.  The weapon is dated 1899. I have included  some pictures I took of the weapon  Any help will be appreciated as to exactly what I have and it's value.  Thanks for reading.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Unidentified Krag
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
'Phoenix1647' - Welcome to the KCA forum.

The serial number of your Norwegian Krag, model 1895 Cavalry Carbine, is #1557.

Your Krag was built at the Kongsberg Wappenfabrikk (Arms Factory) in 1899.

The script "K" with a Crown is the marking for the Norwegian factory at Kongsberg.

Your carbine is chambered for the 6.5 X 55mm cartridge, (commonly called 'Swedish Mauser').

Unfortunately, your stock has been altered. The forearm tip has been shortened. The barrel-band and rear 'sling fixture' have been discarded.

A careful and knowledgeable 'restorer' could probably return things to the original appearance, if the correct rare parts were found.

If you look at the thread (Buckstix), directly below yours, you can view a similar Norwegian carbine and get an idea of what is missing.

IP Logged

phoenix1647
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Unidentified Krag
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Thank you so very much for the information.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint