Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Becoming Frustrated (Read 3836 times)
BillySteph
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Becoming Frustrated
Jul 29th, 2019 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Hi, I have been on the search for a decent Krag for a month now. I thought I had found one this weekend on the CMP boards but evidently mailing a rifle to myself with a C&R license was too much. I have looked completely through GB and I am not happy with any that are up there and the ones that are possible candidates are too much. I don’t know where else to look. I didn’t think it would end up being this much of a pain.......
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2019 at 12:34am by BillySteph »  

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Becoming Frustrated
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Welcome to the Krag Forum. 
Patience could be important as you seek a Krag, i.e., right gun at the right price.  For example, I found a very nice 1898 on CMP from a guy in NE, at a very reasonable price.  This was a couple years ago.
I did see your posting over on CMP.
Good luck on your endeavor.
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Billy, you are not alone in your quest for a great Krag at a reasonable price. That's why the prices are so high! Krags that are in original (or close) to military configuration and have not been visited by Bubba have gone up in price. We have been searching out Krags and buying them for years as members here at KCA and have struggled with our pursuits.

I have found some nice ones at auctions on the internet. It is a little intimidating to buy something at an auction without having it in hand to examine and, I admit, you take some risks. I have sent some rifles back that were grossly misrepresented or damaged or other problems. Same kind of things in dealing with Gun Broker.

You HAVE to know what you are looking at and what is faked or altered! Krags have often been altered and sold as something they are not. Many of us have dealt with this first hand. We always recommend two things: Get some good reference books on Krags and read through them and ask our advice before buying, if possible. Send pictures and descriptions and we will help you find something good and legit.

Since we have been through the growing pains you are dealing with, we can really help a lot. You are amongst friends here and we love our Krags.

Also, many of us buy damaged Krags and rebuild or restore them. It can be done but you do really have to know what you are getting into before going down this route.

Poyer is a good Krag reference for most people and is inexpensive on ebay.

Good luck and keep us informed!

IP Logged

BillySteph
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
I may be able to talk the guy from the CMP board to meet me about 3hrs away from my house. It may be worth it to me. This rifle was bought at CMP in 2011 I believe not sure which year but I am 100% it’s a CMP gun that has maybe 5 rounds through it since leaving CMP. Once I get it I will request the info from CMP.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
FWIW - Buy the Gun, not the story. Personally, I would not pay any premium because a Krag came through the CMP, in recent years.

From my observation, a lot of the CMP guns were returned from VFW Posts. Some of these Krags were shortened to 1903 Springfield length. Some had very poor bores from 'Blank' firing. Some were once painted "White" and had telltale paint residue in the wood pores.

Caution is needed to make sure a Krag's Chamber has not been altered for some strange 'blank'.

As others stated above, be patient, get a Krag reference, and read it. It will make you a better Krag 'Hunter'.

In my experience Krags, (even poorly altered ones), have often been overpriced and misrepresented as carbines or rare models.

However recently, I have seen some decent Krags showing up at gun shows for a fair price. (Older collectors culling their collection? Limited interest in 'Old Rifles'  during the 'Black Rifle Era')?

It pays to go to a known 'quality gun show' with cash in your pocket. Talking to a seller, when you have a decent amount of knowledge, will soon reveal if you are hearing good information or Pure Blarney.

Many of us started our Krag Hobby with an inexpensive & honest 'cut down' Krag, with nice parts and an excellent bore. These can be great 'learning pieces' and a lot of fun at the Range. (We probably still have this altered Krag ... or two)!

p.s. Bore condition does matter.
.... and Welcome to the KCA Forum!

IP Logged

Mike4MSU
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
I wouldn’t call it a deal at nearly $1,000, but this dealer has quite a number of later model Krag rifles for sale with various sights including the 1901, 1902 and 1903. Many still have the cartouche and many are described as having a mirror bore. I personally have a legitimate Krag Carbine and am not in a position to spend the money on a rifle right now. With that said, my buddy has been to his shop and seen the rifles first hand and said there are many nice examples. I believe he will honor C&R and I believe he has more than what are listed on his website.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

What budget were you hoping for if I may ask?

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
I have had luck leaving my name and number at local gun shops. Most of these places sell new black rifle type weapons. Try to cultivate a friendship with the owner. When a older weapon walks in that they do not want they will give you a call. It has worked in the past for me. Don't forget to buy them " lunch" if they come through for you.
       Good luck in your search

IP Logged

Uncle Mike
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Mike4MSU wrote on Jul 29th, 2019 at 4:55pm:
I wouldn’t call it a deal at nearly $1,000, but this dealer has quite a number of later model Krag rifles for sale with various sights including the 1901, 1902 and 1903. Many still have the cartouche and many are described as having a mirror bore. I personally have a legitimate Krag Carbine and am not in a position to spend the money on a rifle right now. With that said, my buddy has been to his shop and seen the rifles first hand and said there are many nice examples. I believe he will honor C&R and I believe he has more than what are listed on his website.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

What budget were you hoping for if I may ask?

Hi, someone has posted on the CMP Forum; "I bought a Krag from them...I’ll tell the whole story when it gets sorted out"
Since I was considering buying from them I emailed him. He restated his original post. I'm not a fan of the quality of their pictures so I am hesitating. If I could visit the store as your friend has I probably would buy something, regards, Mike

IP Logged

BillySteph
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Yep, I am holding off the ones at that shop for now. I did buy the one on CMP.  I definitely didn’t pay a premium for it. It’s very nice with 150rds of factory ammo and 100 res of brass. I am happy....

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
.... and no longer "frustrated"  Grin

IP Logged

BillySteph
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Indeed, no longer! For a Krag anyway. Looking for a M1 Carbine at the same time, I am a glutton for punishment evidently....

butlersrangers wrote on Jul 29th, 2019 at 5:23pm:

IP Logged

Uncle Mike
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
BillySteph wrote on Jul 29th, 2019 at 5:39pm:
Indeed, no longer! For a Krag anyway. Looking for a M1 Carbine at the same time, I am a glutton for punishment evidently....

Hi, Billy I have a few M1 Carbines, plus lots of  parts, magazines, GI ammo, etc.. Give me a idea what you need, Mike

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Caution - Collecting M-1 carbines, IMHO, can be a mental illness!

More "Correct" M-1 carbines have probably been 'built' in the last 15 years than were assembled during WW-2!  Cheesy

I have one M-1 carbine, a National Postal Meter (SA rebuild), imported by Blue Sky. It is for shooting and that is enough for me.
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2019 at 1:05am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

BillySteph
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 6:24pm
Print Post  

PM Sent

Uncle Mike wrote on Jul 29th, 2019 at 6:19pm:
BillySteph wrote on Jul 29th, 2019 at 5:39pm:

Hi, Billy I have a few M1 Carbines, plus lots of  parts, magazines, GI ammo, etc.. Give me a idea what you need, Mike

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Glad you got your Krag and are satisfied Billy. 

FWIW, Krags sometimes show up in the "Gun Library" at Cabela's and are usually in decent shape.  Unfortunately, they are routinely very overpriced (as the owner thinks he is selling the Holy Grail)... but sometimes, the prices are OK.  Also, as others have stated, visit an antique rifle gun show.  Michigan has four Michigan Antique Arms Collector's shows a year (located in Novi, NW of Detroit), and there are ALWAYS plenty of decent Krags for sale at usually reasonable prices!  Occasionally, you'll see an M1 Carbine too.

Happy Shooting!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint