Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Heading to Perry (Read 5391 times)
psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Heading to Perry
Reply #15 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Hmmmmm  Lowest score?  Well, I'm sure there are a few where competitors didn't complete the relay and scored under a hundred.  My personal lowest at Perry was my first year in Vintage with my Krag (2012), when I shot a 215.  My son shot in the 160s his first year shooting the Krag, but that was more his lack of experience.  The trick is to practice in the days leading up to Perry.  Load some dummy rounds (I prefer to use cracked or otherwise worthless brass for this).  Lie on the floor in the prone position, and practice both squeezing off shots and rapid fire with a 5 round reload.  The more confident you can be, the higher your score will reflect. 

As for equipment, a shooting coat, gloves, etc. are nice to have, and absolutely will help in your scores, but just starting out... Well, my son as been shooting for 4 years now with me and he doesn't use them (although he is going to get them prior to next year).  I went 4 years before I got my first coat.  The sling helps too... but you can use the web M1 sling, which you can purchase at the CMP store for $10 a piece.  It really all depends on how much you want to commit at first.  I say... come shoot a match, and if you find you're hooked... THEN go buy the coat, glove, mat, scope, etc.!

Pat, if you do decide to shoot next year, you are absolutely welcome to join my son and our friends!!!  I'm hoping I can get the rest of our motley crew to return for next years matches too (yes Culpeper, I'm looking directly at you!!!).

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
I saw at least one zero score posted, someone must've had a major malfunction.  Next step up from ought was a 118-1x.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Paul, can you tell me where you picked up the leather cartridge case on your belt? I've seen some that hold two cartridges on the front and the ones inside also. I like those and want to check them out.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Whig, go to Creedmore's website: (You need to Login to view media files and links) You'll find shooting gear there.  My coat, gloves, range box, etc. are all from Creedmore.  They always have a ton of stuff on Vender Row during the National Matches too!  Here's the cartridge case you asked about:  (You need to Login to view media files and links) I personally don't care about the two outer loops.  I've seen some who put two in the outer and then only eight in the main area.  FWIW, they usually hold 20 in the main area regardless of the outer loops.  BTW, the box has a rearward flap of leather which fits into a pocket on the shooting coat.  My son just sticks that flap into his pants pocket.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Paul. I'll check it out!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint