Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 1896 Barrel fitted to 1898 action (Read 2748 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1896 Barrel fitted to 1898 action
Aug 2nd, 2019 at 5:10am
Print Post  
I am in the process of building a parts Krag, using a model 1898 receiver picked up at a gun show, and an altered model 1896 carbine barrel, purchased on ebay.

The threaded breech of the 1896 barrel was too sharp-cornered to screw fully into the receiver. A slight bevel was put on the threaded barrel-shank to allow full seating into the receiver.

A bright 'ring' on the inside corner of the receiver barrel thread (from contact) allowed me to estimate the slight bevel.

This model 1896 barrel has an unofficial 'dovetail' added to the bottom of the barrel. (A gunsmith had made this modification for a drilled & tapped forearm anchor).
This bottom dovetail allowed me to use a piece of brass stock, opposite some laminated hardwood, to securely grip the barrel in a regular bench-vise. (Some blemishes and old vise marks were already on the barrel, when it arrived).
A 'nut' style Krag-action fixture, made by KCA member - 'Rcat7147', allowed a 'Monkey Wrench' to be used to fully screw the Receiver onto the barrel. (I put some 'Locktite' sealant on the barrel threads prior to final install).

The barrel over-rotated slightly so the Index Marks are a couple of degrees out of alignment. I had to slightly widen the notch on the barrel breech for the nose of the extractor. The rear-sight is slightly 'canted' to the Left.
I tested three Krag Bolts. They will close on a loaded round, but, will not close on my Field Gauge.

When I finish installing a 'banded' front-sight, "it will be off to the Range" to see how the barrel performs.
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2019 at 1:44pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1896 Barrel fitted to 1898 action
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 5:43am
Print Post  
'Timing of Threads' was slightly off. Barrel 'notch' for Extractor did not line-up properly and interfered with nose or claw of extractor.

I took barrel off and widened Notch with files. When barrel was re-installed, Extractor worked properly. Barrel breech seats properly in receiver. Tested bolts will close on a cartridge, but, not on a Field Gauge.

IP Logged

Rcat7147
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Beautiful!
That will be a satisfying Krag to shoot.  Built up from parts like that. A grown-up LEGO set.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
One can easily screw a 96 or earlier barrel into a 98 receiver but not the other way around as you found out.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Actually, Culpeper, I believe a later (model 1898) barrel will easily screw onto a model 1896 Receiver, probably without alteration.

It is the early style barrel shank that has to be 'beveled' in order to be used on a model 1898 Receiver.

Part of the fun of my project was to see if it could be done.

My handiwork is not up to Springfield Armory standards, but, likely better than Bannerman's.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Nicely done, having a machinist for a father probably helped you solve the problems. Do you still have the anchor that went into the bottom dovetail? It would be off a little in location but could be used to make another if you want to "anchor" the barrel to the stock.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks 'FredC'. I have the 'dovetailed anchor'. I simply removed it so I can fit everything into a 'cut-down' Krag stock.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Aug 2nd, 2019 at 1:21pm:
Actually, Culpeper, I believe a later (model 1898) barrel will easily screw onto a model 1896 Receiver, probably without alteration.

It is the early style barrel shank that has to be 'beveled' in order to be used on a model 1898 Receiver.

Part of the fun of my project was to see if it could be done.

My handiwork is not up to Springfield Armory standards, but, likely better than Bannerman's.

You're right as rain.  I did get it backwards.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2019 at 4:24am
Print Post  
I took my project Krag to the Range today for an initial tryout from the bench at 50 yards. I wanted to check the performance of my 'barrel installation'.

I put the barreled-action in an altered carbine stock, I had lying around.

The 'interim' sights are a 1903 front-sight base, with a commercial blade, and a model 1998 rifle rear-sight.

The front-sight is rather tall so I had to set the low 1898 rear-sight to 400 yards. Because the barrel seated a couple of degrees past the receiver index mark, the sights are slightly canted to the left. This is not readily noticeable and it did not bother me when shooting.

My fired cartridge cases looked fine. In fact, the fired cases from this project Krag will chamber in my favorite Krag 'Shooter' (and visa versa).

Since everything checked out "OK", today, I will now complete assembly of this parts project.

Good Barrel!

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2019 at 11:43am
Print Post  
that's a cool rifle. Wish ida known as I have a spare barrel here that came off of a sporter, real nice barrel. Good for you.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2019 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Mark.

It pains me, when I see Krags being systematically 'parted-out' on the internet. It is fun to reverse the process and build a useful Krag out of spare 'discarded' parts.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Aug 10th, 2019 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
As always you do some fine and precise gunsmithing Chuck.

Can't wait to see your finished project!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2019 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
I just tinker, look for parts, and like to assemble things. Springfield Armory quality makes it fun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint