Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 1898 Krag Rear Sight Question (Read 2636 times)
randyinmv1986
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1898 Krag Rear Sight Question
Aug 7th, 2019 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
I purchased a sporterized 1898 rifle last Fall. It had an aftermarket peep sight mounted in the magazine cutoff opening. I would like to restore the rear sight and have purchased parts from two suppliers. Can someone tell me whether my sight is a "frankensight", or close to the original configuration by looking at the individual parts? I am not going for authentic or original. I would just like to enjoy shooting it with some degree of consistency using a replacement sight. The upper hand guard is missing and I may think about replacing it also, with a replica or original style, if I can locate one at reasonable cost. Any suggestions/comments from the community would be appreciated.  This is my first experience with the Krag. I have purchased a booklet thru the web, but I would like to acquire more historical data so that I can speak with some degree of confidence if someone asks a question about this great Springfield firearm. Here are a couple pics of my acquisitions to date. (BTW, the sight pivot pin is too small in diameter and the screws are reproduction. Trying to understand how these parts fit together and on the rifle.)

IP Logged

randyinmv1986
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 Krag Rear Sight Question
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Apologies for not being familiar with the process.  Here is the firearm spoken about.

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Assuming your barrel is still 30" long you are very fortunate. 1901 and 1902 rear sights abound on Ebay, better yet Jack Schwartz/Parts for antique guns is selling Krag Forestocks and handguards after a big hiatus. You have a nice rifle there. I'm a big fan of the repro screws. If you are truly interested in the history of these rifles the best book for the money, hands down is by a former contributor. Here's the link:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Keep us posted

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Would suggest starting off with Poyer's Krag book.

Not to denigrate Joe Farmer's book...just the opposite. You need some good background to understand Farmer's book. College level- not for beginners necessarily.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 1:10am
Print Post  
I believe those part will go together to make a working sight, but I don't have one at hand to be certain.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 1:20am
Print Post  
'randyinmv1986' - You have a 'mismatched mixture' of original Krag sight parts.

Your pin is actually for a Krag ejector. (The ejector pin is covered by the Left Side-Plate. The pin is 'notched' so it can be pulled out of its hole in the receiver).

You can assemble a sight from your parts. It will not be historically correct, but, it will be useful.
You have a model 1898 Rifle rear-sight base and a model 1902 rear-sight top.

A model 1902 Rifle sight-base is taller than the 1898 Rifle base and has a different sight-spring arrangement.

(The 1898 sights originally had three sighting notches and the 'elevation curve' of the base was for a faster cartridge, that was discontinued. The sight was also discontinued).

You can make a pivot-pin for your sight from the shank of a nail:

Cut the head off of a slightly 'oversize' nail. (Larger diameter than pin)

'Chuck' the pointed end in a Drill-Motor. As you 'Spin' the nail, reduce its diameter with a File. When it is close to fitting through the sight's pivot-holes, polish and reduce the diameter with Emery cloth.

Cut the new 'pin' to approximate length. (Leave it a bit long). Shape and polish the ends of the pin by spinning in the power drill and using File and Emery. Color the ends with 'Cold Blue'.

Original Krag sight pivot-pins were made from soft steel.

Photo #1 - Shows where your small diameter pin is actually used. #2 - Shows a 'parts sight' I put together using the same parts you have and a pivot pin made from a nail. #3 & #4 - Show a model 1898 base and a 1902 base.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2019 at 2:24pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 1:25am
Print Post  
Whig wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 12:55am:
Would suggest starting off with Poyer's Krag book.

Not to denigrate Joe Farmer's book...just the opposite. You need some good background to understand Farmer's book. College level- not for beginner's necessarily.

you could have a point there, I'd say buy it anyway. Sign up for Joe's website for the photos of parts and models. And.... there's like 100 pages in there that are a history lesson.

IP Logged

randyinmv1986
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 3:30am
Print Post  
So thankful to everyone who commented. I will take your suggestions, esp. concerning the reading material mentioned. I will contact Jack to evaluate a 1902 sight base and spring. Very good suggestion about using the mild steel nail as a pivot pin. I am sure I will enjoy shooting this firearm based on it's smooth action and history. Any last comments regarding the Lee reloading dies for Krag? I expect reloading will be the most economical path forward, provided I purchase some ammo initially from one of the few suppliers. Thank you again.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 4:17am
Print Post  
'randy' - A model 1898 sight-base and a model 1902 sight-base use the same wooden hand-guard.

The wood items from Jack Schwartz cost $100 for a replica 1898/1902 hand-guard and $100 for a replacement forearm, (which splices under the barrel-band).

I don't think Jack Schwartz sells metal parts for Krags. His wood items are good for doing a stock restoration.

If you just want your Krag for a "Shooter", assemble your rear-sight parts, as I suggested, and use it as is. You can enjoy it with what you have now. Krag projects can get expensive.

You can take your time and study about Krags, decide what you want to do, and accumulate needed parts.

BTW - Measure your barrel with a long cleaning rod. An original rifle barrel will measure 30 inches from the muzzle-crown to the 'closed bolt-face'.

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 10:21am
Print Post  
If you look in the "Ammunition, Reloading, Shooting, etc"  section. you'll see somewhat close to the top, a topic on Reloading dies for the 30-40 Krag.  This was in interesting discussion and the Lee dies were included and favored by some.  Reloading is always a popular topic and you can learn a lot.  I know I have.

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 10:40am
Print Post  
randyinmv1986 wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 3:30am:
So thankful to everyone who commented. I will take your suggestions, esp. concerning the reading material mentioned. I will contact Jack to evaluate a 1902 sight base and spring. Very good suggestion about using the mild steel nail as a pivot pin. I am sure I will enjoy shooting this firearm based on it's smooth action and history. Any last comments regarding the Lee reloading dies for Krag? I expect reloading will be the most economical path forward, provided I purchase some ammo initially from one of the few suppliers. Thank you again.

Reloading is definitely the way to go. Better still is learning to cast your own bullets. The Krag is an amazing cast bullet shooter. Easy on you, easy on the gun and easy on the budget.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint