Stomperud parts rifle (Read 2596 times)
GregCandR
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Stomperud parts rifle
Aug 10th, 2019 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Hello,
I recently won an auction for what seems to be all the metal pieces of a Stomperud rifle, minus the cleaning rod, front sight hood and rear sling swivel. Matching barrel, receiver and bolt. I am thinking of buying a full length stock and cutting it down (shudder) or maybe finding a decent cut down/sporterized stock.
I know the collector value is limited on this one, but to buy one that is complete would be very expensive. If anyone has a lead on a stock to put this baby in, I would appreciate it.
Rifle is still on the way, will post better pictures when it gets here.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Stomperud parts rifle
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2019 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
I bought a full length stock set, stock, handguard, metal, off gunbroker a couple years back.  I too have a Stomperud barreled action that a member here gave me.  Like you, I hate the thought of cutting the full length stock, so it's been the "when I get around to it" pile for awhile now.  They do come up on gunbroker from time to time.  Mine is serial #1034.  I can see the 7 of the 1897 Steyr stamp which was ground off.  Fellow that gave it to me said his dad bought the barreled action in the 60s, for $10.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2019 at 8:22pm by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

GregCandR
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 3:58am
Print Post  
Makes me wonder if a good number of these were imported like this, without stocks.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Probably so.  The barrel on mine is like new, maybe even unfired.  I believe most of the 1897 Steyr-made Krags went to Norway's Civilian Marksmanship organization.  They probably had more of the 4500 in storage than in use.  Then the Nazis came along.  There is much info about the Stomperuds online, you'll run into more than a few of my posts.  I actually got lucky with my stock set.  It came from Steyr too, going by the serial # on the buttplate.  Because of the size of the upper barrel band that came with it, it isn't going to be a simple cut in one place operation.  I've seen some variation in Stomperud  forearm images online.  I'm going to have to make two cuts, and the band will be forward of a step in the barrel, where it'll fit correctly.  That's going to require some splicing and blending in of the foretip.  They must've had some larger bands in order to make it fit behind the step.  Some of the Stomperuds in circulation might very well have been assembled by home gunsmiths from the $10 actions.  I know in one case that some home gunsmith's answer to my band fit problem was to turn the barrel down to the correct diameter.  I'm no going that route. 

I would like to get it together and use it at Camp Perry in the Vintage Rifle match one day.  One thing I noted on mine, it appears the root of the bolt handle bears a wee bit more than the locking lugs.  A little stoning on the back edge of the handle will fix that.

I've had a few people warn me that the Norwegians didn't like doing the work, and would sometimes sabotage the items.  About the worst that could be done would be to overheat the receiver, it's plenty hard, so I don't worry about the rumor.  It will get fed reasonable loads though.

IP Logged

GregCandR
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Once it arrives I will better able to gauge what I will eventually try with it. So far my thoughts are mirroring yours. A two piece cut, as I am not keen on my skills at being able to inlet the barrel band spring if I just cut it back.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2019 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Having to recut for the band spring was my concern too.  I wouldn't get it right!

IP Logged

GregCandR
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 2:21am
Print Post  
It arrived today finally. It is indeed a Stomperud. Used to be a 1897 Stey Private issue M94 long rifle. Bolt, barrel and receiver matched like they did with the Stomperud.
Now a stock....  Undecided

IP Logged

GregCandR
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 1:22am
Print Post  
OK, I cobbled together a Stomperud looking stock from a M94 stock. At least it is not just a barreled action, she has some clothes on now.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 2:42am
Print Post  
Looking neat, now time for the Range!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint