Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Just aquired my first Krag (Read 1768 times)
azbulldog
KCA Forum Member

New Krag Owner!

Just aquired my first Krag
Aug 15th, 2019 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
As my first foray into the land of Krag I will say that I jusat bought  Bubba'd Krag from a friend who inherited it from an uncle who recently passed away. And I have a few questions:
1) I know that I overpaid for the gun but since I know he was in need of cash, what the h$$$.
2)The barrel is of original length but I am reasonably sure that the stock was replaced with an aftermarket "shorty". There is no barrel band and no cartouche anywhere. However, Bubba placed a sling swivel attach point approx. 20 inches from the bolt face. Would there be any reason to stop me from cutting the barrel down to 22 inches?  Roll Eyes
3) As I am 80 years old and so are my eyes Cry, any suggestions re: a scope mount?
I am a new member here but a long time member of the Mossberg Owners forum. Looking forward to tapping into the wealth of knowledge here. My goal is to make this rifle a memorial to my Uncle John who taught me how to hunt deer , bear, etc. in the 50's as I was growing up without a father. And yes, he carried a Krag.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Just aquired my first Krag
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 3:29am
Print Post  
'azbulldog' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

If you post some 'close-up' photos of your newly acquired Krag, you will get much better feedback and suggestions.

If your 30 inch barrel has a nice bore, it would be a shame to cut it shorter. It would destroy the restoration value of your rifle.

There are plenty of 'cut-down' and drilled & tapped Krags around, that can be bought inexpensively.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Welcome to Krag-Land! KCA members love to look at pictures of newly acquired Krags, whether Bubba has had some influence on its history or not. We do like to hear of Krag rifles or carbines that have good bores with strong rifling. They usually make good shooting rifles.

If you need help in getting pictures loaded for us to see, let us know and we'll try to help. As Butlers stated above, we don't encourage cutting or altering Krags if it damages restoration back to a more original condition but if you bought it, you can do what ever you want!

Krags are good shooting for any age person and if you have experience with other rifles, let us know. Maybe some of us can benefit from your knowledge and wisdom.

So, welcome and get some pictures loaded if you can.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
For older eyes a red dot sight or light scout scope can be mounted on the rear sight location using a Krag Haus mount. There is also a no drill receiver mount that is not as well known. Recently a member posted a picture of his.
(You need to Login to view media files and links)
Look at post #62

Others have posted photos of their scout scoped Krags, I hope they post links also.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2019 at 4:53pm by FredC »  

IP Logged

azbulldog
KCA Forum Member

New Krag Owner!

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys....I have ordered a no drill mount and will post pics as soon as I get it installed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint