Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Pribilof Islands Artillery Photographs (Read 1572 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Pribilof Islands Artillery Photographs
Aug 16th, 2019 at 6:03am
Print Post  
In my search for early 20th century photographs of Krag rifles and other arms on the "Alaska Seal Islands", (Pribilof Islands of St. George and St. Paul), I had only found one fuzzy photo titled "Artillery 1912 - St. Paul men".

The photo was confusing because a large group of men hid much of the equipment. There were 'Shields' on two gun carriages, which gave the appearance of Field Guns (Cannon). I came to the conclusion that the smaller wheels might be three Hotchkiss 1.65 inch Mountain Cannon and the high-wheel shielded carriages might be .30 cal. Gatling Guns.

Tonight, in the U.S. National Archives photo collection, I found a clearer copy of the "1912 - St. Paul Men" photograph. I also found a picture of the guns standing alone, which makes everything clear.

Also found, was an Armistice Day - 11/11/1918 photo of some Islanders 'Firing A Salute'. I don't know for sure, but, the photo may have been taken at the 'Landing' at St. George Island. There are guys firing revolvers and likely Krag rifles in celebration, near a large flag pole. The 'Blur' in the foreground is likely a Hotchkiss mountain gun in recoil!
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2019 at 7:23pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Pribilof Islands Artillery Photographs
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 6:10am
Print Post  
It looks like it would be mighty fun to have a 1.65 inch Hotchkiss - 2 Pounder!

IP Logged

Rcat7147
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 11:54am
Print Post  
If you look at the patterns in the snow (and even the clouds!) it’s clear the pictures of the artillery with the men and without were taken back to back.  That’s pretty neat.
“Bully!  And now one with the men!”

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2019 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
These three 1.65 inch Hotchkiss mountain canon and two Gatling guns are most likely on St. Paul Island (in the Alaska Pribilof Island group).

February 7, 1907, correspondence reports 3 Hotchkiss cannon and two Gatling Guns going to St. Paul Island and two Hotchkiss and one Gatling Gun going to St. George Island.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint