Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Original 1898 carbine or not? (Read 9054 times)
Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Original 1898 carbine or not?
Reply #30 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 1:30am
Print Post  
Second pattern 1892, but I've NEVER understood the "why".

That is the plate on 20196, which is otherwise 1892, with changes to date (cutaway bolt rib, bevelled cocking piece, etc.). The stock is crudely relieved to clear the unfinished cover-plate lugs.

Were some guns assembled hastily for some reason, not waiting for the full implementation of the improvement? Seems odd for a piece with an 1896 sight, and very clear JSA/1896 cartouche. We know they were held up for the sights - why not do the butt properly at the same time?

Another mystery.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #31 - Aug 26th, 2019 at 1:34am
Print Post  
In addition to the early butt-plate, 'MikeyC' has a model 1896 magazine-gate on his model 1898 Krag.

IMHO - This further substantiates it is a 'parts gun' and not U.S. Armory or Arsenal work.

But .... Them's some Mighty Nice Parts!

(The big pictures were getting to me - I took the liberty of simplifying. I hope you don't mind).

IP Logged

MikeyC
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #32 - Sep 21st, 2019 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Whig wrote on Aug 18th, 2019 at 9:18pm:
Also, we need a picture of the front of the stock to see if the stock is a cut down rifle stock or an authentic carbine stock that was put on your Krag.

Many Krags, whether they are original military Krags or cut down rifles, are great shooting firearms. If you aren't comfortable to do so yourself, have a gunsmith examine your Krag to see if it looks in good condition to fire. Get some 30-40 Krag ammunition and try it out. You'll love shooting it!

Keep us informed and we'll wait for the pictures.

This shows the front of a carbine stock.

I finally had a chance to have a gunsmith look at it. He said everything mechanically is great and is safe to shoot. He did how ever mention that there is not much rifling left so it may not be very accurate. now to get it to a range and see. Thank you everyone again for all your input.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #33 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Heck shoot and find out.  Perhaps it'll surprise you. 

Shooting a krag is heaven even if it is minute-of-man accurate at fifty feet.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

MikeyC
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #34 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 12:00am
Print Post  
haven't been around for a while but I finally got it to the range a couple weeks ago. indoor range at 25yds I was still hitting pretty darn close to what I was aiming at. Also the range safety office was quite interested in what I was shooting. I let him check it out for a few and he let me stay on the ranger for an extra 30min.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint