Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Observed Serial Number List (Read 7619 times)
Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Observed Serial Number List
Aug 24th, 2019 at 2:11am

This is meant to be an informational list compiled by the KCA from information gathered from KCA members and contributors.  You will see, on the form to submit, that only some of the information is required.  Please try to give as much information as possible, but only what you are comfortable with.

Here is the link to view the updated list:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Here is the link to submit information on an observed Krag:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Observed Serial Number List
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2019 at 7:28pm

Tom: Fantastic idea, but, as a major user of spreadsheets I have some suggestions - I hope you can see the logic, and - believe me - no offense is intended:

1. Timestamp - no more than the date is needed

2. If you put “serial” over “number” (or just put “S/N”) you will save MUCH needed space.

3. At “Model”, omit “best” - same reason

4. Put “Date” over “observed” - ditto

5. Make “Full military” (stacked) a Y/N  choice - it either is or it is not - variables can be covered elsewhere.

6. Make separate columns for “sight” and “cartouche”

7. Handle EVERYTHING else under “notes”

8. I question owner info, but if it doesn’t take space away from something else, I guess it’s OK

9. The best SS’s are the ones which give the MOST opportunities to sort, meaning that the data in each column is very specific. I assume you will be vetting the input and will pick a UNIFORM format for each column, in other words NOT putting the following in the same column: “1896”, “M1896” or “M ’96” or “Model 1896”, no matter what the respondent sends you.

I’m sure others will have some good ideas as well. If we are going to go to the work of doing this, we should strive to get it as right as possible BEFORE populating it. Looking at 4 or 5 lines, it’s easy to see what was meant - when you get to hundreds, and ultimately thousands (as I have in my 1873 carbine list) you want a usable list, and do NOT want to have to go back and fix something that would have been easy to do right in the beginning.

My apologies for perhaps seeming to present a "lecture" but have been down the road before! Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Re: Observed Serial Number List
Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2019 at 2:07am

Dick,

Thanks for the input.  Many of your suggestions are the kind of tweaks I had mentioned in my post about this.  We will surely clean up the headings and such.  I know that "timestamp" column makes no sense.  I had it so it didn't show in my prototype, but forgot on this one.   Smiley 

Great thoughts, thanks again.  We will work on it.

Tom

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint