Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Building a sporter (Read 4360 times)
King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Building a sporter
Sep 2nd, 2019 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Hello to the forum: I picked up this barreled reciever for next to nothing. Someone had already cut it down for hunting at some point. I would like to make a sporter out of it. My question is about the scope mount holes. Did they weaken the action?  Also I would like to cover them up. Should I weld them or put in plug screws and file them flush?   Thanks as always to everyone for the help they give.
         Kc

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Building a sporter
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Since they're already unsightly and have ruined the collector's value, I like the idea of threading screws in the holes and grinding and filing them flush inside and out. I have seen some well done examples of this. More controllable than welding unless you are very skilled. That's assuming you can find the proper screws to fit the threaded holes.

From what I understand, the pressure of the 30-40 Krag round in the chamber would not pose any risk of damaging the receiver where these holes are drilled. If you're concerned, leave one open and any excess pressure would be vented out the "escape" hole. I think that would be unnecessary, though. The strength needs to be forward of the closed bolt and where the lugs engage the receiver, not on the left side of the receiver.

Good luck. We'll see what others think. I have never done this but have seen some crappy repairs and some wonderful ones.

Is that a 4 digit serial number on this receiver?

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your ideas. I did not think the holes would weaken the reciever. Better safe than sorry. It is a four number serial no. Another forum member was kind enough to check it out for me. Unfortunatly there is no
record of it. It's too bad this one was chopped up. I would like to have a 1894 krag in original configuration.
      Thanks, kc

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Our good friend Larry Potterfield of Midway gives a short discussion about this procedure. Doing the work on a Krag with access to the inside of the receiver to flush the end of the screws is an advantage.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Thank you. That looks like the proper fix. Looking forward to this project. Hope to start it when the weather chases me inside! To busy fishing right now.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 2:07am
Print Post  
Good luck. Show us "after" pictures so we can enjoy your hard work at fixing this sporter up right!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 5:20am
Print Post  
'King carp' - I don't believe the scope side-mount holes weaken the Krag receiver.

Looking at  the holes on your receiver, I believe they are spaced for the Weaver side-mount, that attaches to their 'Number 2' block. The block uses a pretty common gun-screw thread.

The Weaver-mount and Block are still made and show up on ebay, from time to time.
On a 'Sporter' this scope mount can be handy. but, it positions the scope slightly off-set and interferes with rotating the issue safety-lever.

IP Logged

Kooler
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 2:13am
Print Post  
Since it`s already drilled and tapped mount a scope on it. I mounted an old vintage scope on mine which was sporterized many, many years ago and I`m glad that I did. But then again I`m 68 years old and the eyes are not like they used to be.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 4:12am
Print Post  
Thanks everyone for the help. I have a long eye relief scope I am going to try mounting on the barrel. Kind of a scout rifle concept. It is in the design stages right now. I do not want to invest too much in the project so I am using up items I have already on it. I hope i can start on it in a month or so. I will try to keep the forum posted on its progress.
       Thanks again, kc

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
CarbonOutlaw and I think at least one other have posted photos of their scout Krags. Maybe some one can provide some links for inspiration.
Scout scoped rifles are supposed to be faster on target and allow one to keep both eyes open. I am not sure if that will work for me as I am right handed and left eyed.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Hello: I am using Jeff coopers ideas on my scout rifle. Making it compact, and light as possible. His idea for the long eye relief scope was to preserve the shooters peripheral  vision  allow easy reloading, and avoid hitting your eye with the scope from recoil. He also liked the idea of a magazine cutoff on the rifle.  Well the krag has the cutoff built in so that's a plus. He also said it should have a 22 inch barrel.  My barreled action just happens to have a 22 inch barrel.  He liked the .308 cartridge in his design. I think the 30-40 krag is in the ballpark in this respect.  Keeping the weight down for the rifle and me is the main problem so far! Lol.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
I found one thread with several scout rifles photos.

Looks like Carbon outlaw has a scout it must be in another thread. He did have a real nice looking sporter with a different mount.

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
oh mannnnn go old school! You have a vintage rifle ready for a vintage scope! and you can do it for cheap.

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
but if you must...

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 4:03am
Print Post  
It is nice to have options! I am trying to keep the investment as low as possible. The way it's going the rifle is going to look different than your average krag. Since the barreled action came so mutilated I am going to experiment with some ideas. Thanks for everyone's input.
          Kc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint