Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Springfield 1896 Krag-Jorgensen Carbine #35606 (Read 4017 times)
midwestman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Springfield 1896 Krag-Jorgensen Carbine #35606
Sep 4th, 2019 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Hi everyone,
been snooping around here for some years and I may have posted something about a couple rifles I have a few years ago.  Recently participated in an online auction, saw the serial number, couldn't see the rear sight.  took a chance and think I may have finally found a correct saddle ring carbine.  Except for the peep sight and front sight blade.  The saddle ring it came with was broken/sheared? off somehow.  I had an old rusty one laying around and swapped it out.  Now I need a front sight blade for carbine.  Take a look at pics and let me know what you think.  Paid $500, I think i did ok

IP Logged

midwestman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Springfield 1896 Krag-Jorgensen Carbine #35606
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
more pics

IP Logged

midwestman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
hand guard is cracked.  stock has one too.

IP Logged

midwestman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Let me know if you want some more pics, and if you can please let me know if this serial # has a hit of some kind or I'm reading it wrong.  I don't need the Lyman? peep sight if someone is interested

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
I'd say you did great. Looks like you have an intact carbine with the only issue is a drilled hole for the peep sight, not much of an issue. Experts will verify. Does the barrel measure 22" to the bolt face? Full length and picture of the butt end would be nice.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Great find!

As you probably already know...the rear sight alone has been selling for $500 or more now days.

IP Logged

midwestman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
yep 22" to bolt face.  I'll get some full length and butt stock shots tonight after work.  Metal on the butt plate is a little rough too

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
No hits in Mallory, but interesting numbers nearby.  Closest carbine with lower number is 35597 that went to the 25 Infantry (probably for an officer).  Closest higher number is 35741 that went to the 1st Volunteer Cavalry (Teddy Roosevelts Regiment) and that's a good neighbor hood to be in - only 135 numbers away!

Your carbine is marked with only the date "1896" and without the "Model" prefix. That's an uncommon dude, too, so you really did very well!

Maybe one of our kind gentlemen who has access to the SRS records can check further.  I have a similar situation with an "1895" carbine and I have been hoping to get up the courage to ask someone.  It has an interesting bunch of neighbors, too, in Mallory, but I don't have the SRS information.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Midwestman- Welcome back to the KCA. You appear to have done real well in acquiring an authentic M1896 Krag carbine. It sure appears well "weathered" but that just adds to the wonderful history that your carbine has. We all wish our rifles and carbines could talk to tell us what they have been through.

The metal has almost been totally stripped of any bluing or case hardening. There is a good bit of pitting throughout and lots of honest wear on the stock and metal parts. The saddle ring looks to be an original feature of this carbine being an earlier 1896 creation. Later ones were restocked without the saddle ring. The replacement one that is somewhat rust pitted fits well with the rest of the patina of your carbine.

The rear sight appears to be authentic. The slide is properly stamped with the "c" as is the right side. The right side "c" actually looks somewhat high on the side but I'd have to see it with the hand guard removed to evaluate it further. I have lightened your one picture to show the stamping of the slide better. The front sight blade can easily be replaced.

I'm not an expert on the added peep sights that yours has but is it drilled to attach or is it fitted into the cut off lever slot? If so, it can be fixed easily without damage to the receiver. Drilled receivers significantly lower collector value.

Even though your carbine is in rough shape, it is still desirable and a great addition to your growing Krag collection!

More will come about the details of your Krag. I don't have my references to check more about your serial number's history. We all try to work together to answer questions and make corrections to anything we may report incorrectly. Great to have different eyes check it out.

Also, how is the bore? That can be important in how it may shoot.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 1:08am
Print Post  
Your Krag may have been rusted bad or exposed to some chemicals and been painted black at some point and had the paint stripped off with a chemical stripper of some sort. There seems to be a lot of paint remains around the numbers (look around the serial numbers), on the trigger guard and elsewhere. That's maybe why the metal has been stripped of any original finish. It looks beat up in some way. Really want to know what happened to it many years ago! We may never know. I have seen much worse.

The stock does look like it has had some varnish added at some point.

I suspect the bore is pretty bad also. Interested to know. I'd also like to see what the barrel and receiver looks like under the stock where the metal would be protected from outside rust or chemical damage. If you can, carefully remove the stock and take some pictures. You can leave the hand guard in place so you don't damage it more. It takes a special approach to remove this. You have to remove the stock first, remove the barrel band in front of the rear sight, remove the sight and slowly slide the hand guard forward to the front of the barrel and remove it then from the barrel. Don't pop it off because the strong spring clips can crack the wood.

If you do this, take more pictures and post them. There's often lots of good information under the stock and hand guard.

You've got a great piece that hides a fantastic history. Thanks for sharing it with us. For $500, you did great. I've gambled on auctions before and have sometimes gotten treasures like yours.

IP Logged

midwestman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Awesome, thanks for the responses guys.  The wood looks pretty shiny in the pics cause I put some oil on it to give it a quick clean up to get the dust off.  might have had some varnish a long time ago.  I think you might be correct about the black paint or coating of some sort.  I'll get some bore pics and pics without the stock in a few days.

IP Logged

midwestman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Not sure about this pacific peep sight and how it is attached.  I took all the set screws out and it is still solidly attached

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Someone with experience with added peeps needs to chime in with some suggestions about yours.

I wish I knew what happened to the metal of your rifle. The inside of the receiver looks quite odd almost like it has had some sort of surface grinding or metallurgical alteration with excessive heat or chemical exposure.

The mystery deepens.....

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 4:18am
Print Post  
Regarding the Pacific K-1 sight - The base, normally, can be easily pulled to the rear and 'off' the receiver, once the 'lock-screw' has been removed.

Perhaps, corrosion, crud, and maybe paint, is causing the shaft to be hung-up or stuck in the magazine cut-off hole.

Soaking the shaft, (which is only 'press-fit' into the front of the Pacific sight-base), with some penetrating oil or 'Liquid Wrench' may dissolve the mischief.

Wiggling the base or tapping it "Forward" may free it up. Be patient and let the penetrating oil 'work'.

Caution - Avoid hammering on the front of the base, to try and drive it rearward.
The base and shaft can separate, leaving the shaft remaining stuck in the cut-off hole.
(You want the base and shaft to remain connected).

IMHO - At some point, someone painted your Krag's metal with Black Enamel Paint. Most of the paint has been removed.
The residue (which is still visible) can be removed with paint-remover or nail polish-remover and #0000 steel wool. Saturate small pads of #0000 steel wool with 'remover' and lightly work paint residue. Do this carefully and leave underlying patina.
Start with a piece like the Butt-Plate or Side-Plate.

Your metal should look a lot better with patient cleaning.

Attached photos show details of Pacific K-1 sight:
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2019 at 12:33pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 10:54am
Print Post  
I'm jealous. Good for you. Front sight blades are available at S&S firearms, if no one mentioned that.

My unsolicited advice (I can't help myself) is less is more. Clean it gently and be happy. I am very happy for you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint