Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Early Smokeless Powders (Read 2291 times)
SavvyJack
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Early Smokeless Powders
Sep 12th, 2019 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Hey guys. I don't own a .30-40 but I sure do have a desire to try and understand the earliest smokeless powder developments. I understand that the US Government started this with the 30-40 and selected 25 powders for tests. It would seam this started in about 1892 and maybe ended up with what we know as W-A 30, introduced to the public in 1897...as W-A 30. Sifting through what data I could fine with early powder companies, I thought I would post this generically here and see what I can learn.

I have a headache!

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Early Smokeless Powders
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 12:13am
Print Post  
If you really want to know about early smokeless powder development in the U.S. go to "U.S. Military Krags". Under "Important Topics" go to "Misc. Annual Reports and documents". You will find Ordnance Department reports that will contain powder development. But you will have to roll up your sleeves and dive in thru other items to find what you are looking for. I've not gotten into that aspect yet, so if you like, report back what you have found.  Smiley

IP Logged

SavvyJack
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!

Knute1 wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 12:13am:
If you really want to know about early smokeless powder development in the U.S. go to "U.S. Military Krags". Under "Important Topics" go to "Misc. Annual Reports and documents". You will find Ordnance Department reports that will contain powder development. But you will have to roll up your sleeves and dive in thru other items to find what you are looking for. I've not gotten into that aspect yet, so if you like, report back what you have found.  Smiley

IP Logged

SavvyJack
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Yeap, with that first link (You need to Login to view media files and links)
WnYerRWLnK7tko5rjccXmKw57iY7saVmqbAmJr8j_Cri46lvZHs4iNUCqlUuF7pHYyyj3CI6Jq1tpXof
FHYBBKO2J_TBRXcjEkV2Os-AzjqI6IjHRvGSDwiEk61Zp2EE1fdAAkZjPzKbWWOmHECLjAotqs6dU0DB
2Nk0PbOItrwzVjyfI2bkVvlIVplWnD3ezHjGOj9qtbCpb_c7p9WCYe_g5DSjASkEMejdde4KmPPfCwla
FjXjemgzriZpf3XZfbx_qVIg

I found what I was looking for. Now to see where this road takes me!!!!

IP Logged

SavvyJack
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
You .30-40 Krag buffs already know this information, this is mainly for my brain and to learn more. It shows the early testing of smokeless powder by the US Government. They used the 30-40 Krag, of which a powder had not even been adopted yet for service.

Smokeless powders had been around since at least 1882-1885 but seem to be used in shotguns.

The US Government obtained a large supply of Wetteren powder and I think they or someone purchased the rights from the company? Hard to follow but it is in the 961 page report. The Wetteren powder was used as a "standard" to which further powders would be tested.

Nine powder names would be used but some powder companies sent updated samples which would lead to nearly 25 over all tests.

1. Wetteren - Purchased from Cooppal & Cie, Liege Belgium. Used as the testing standard.
2. Smokeless Powder Company Limited, London
A) Rifleite
B) S.R.
C) S.V.
3. B.N.F. - Procured from Hotchkiss Ordinance Company in 1882
4. Peyton - California Powder Company, Santa Cruz California. Plant explosion was the demise and what was left went to Dupont in 1903, operated after 1906 then to Hercules? Powders named to replace Peyton for the 30-40 are unknown to me at the moment. That is the information I am looking for. By this time, I think it was Sharpshooter
5. Leonard - Various powder samples, from Salem
A) Sample "N" and "J", submitted March 1893
B) Samples "J" and "N" submitted April 1893
C) No. 7
D) 13A
C) United States
6. Dupont - a redish Brown colored powder of small regular grains
7. Axtell - New York, Samples 1, 2 and 3
8. Troisdorf - (SS Smokeless Shotgun cira 1900 also used in the 44-40). Eventually marked by Laflin & Rand till 1900
9. Alters - Sweat Home, Ark.

Dates of testing were between Spring 1892 and Spring 1893.

Tests included in Report to Chief Of Ordinance Oct 1st, 1893

Of those powders, Peyton and Leonard were reported to be the two superior powders. It is of these two powders as to what was (at least) to be offered to civilians by 1897 as, what would appear to be W. A. 30 under several labels and names through turnovers of powder companies during those years. It looks as if the early W-A powder was of the Cordite filaments "stick type" but eventually formed into a disc type from what I understand as W.A. 30 by 1897.

Eventually Sharpshooter powder was of the same formula but smaller grains. Sharpshooter was a great powder for the 44-40.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
You might find this interesting too, if you've not already ran across it:  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

I've noted that high nitroglycerin powder like WA-30, which is 30%, made the beginning of the rifling in a like new barrel move forward pretty rapidly!  Are you trying to find an equivalent burn rate?

IP Logged

SavvyJack
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
madsenshooter wrote on Sep 13th, 2019 at 2:01pm:
You might find this interesting too, if you've not already ran across it:  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

I've noted that high nitroglycerin powder like WA-30, which is 30%, made the beginning of the rifling in a like new barrel move forward pretty rapidly!  Are you trying to find an equivalent burn rate?

Yes, I have that already, great information there!

no, I am looking to see exactly what the military decided to use for powder after that testing. I have yet to read other Reports which might eventually tell.

IP Logged

SavvyJack
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
I know I am just taking pot shot stabs in the dark but I am in the begging of collecting some information. Here is another post I found from John Kort referencing early smokeless powders found in the 30-30.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Quote:
Historically speaking, from 1896 to the mid 1920's, .30-30 "Short Range" cartridges "For small game where the more powerful cartridge is not necessary" were offered as a standard factory loading.

They were factory produced .30-30's with 100 and 117 gr. lead bullets to replicate .32-20 performance. Being somewhat of a .30-30 nut, I have done an exhaustive study on this interesting class of .30-30 cartridges.

I acquired a number of specimens to dissect and test and all were loaded with anywhere from 4.4 grs. to 9.0 grs. of various early smokeless powders loaded loosely in the cases.

Before placing this ammunition on the market, the ammunition companies would have done some exhaustive testing to make sure there would not be any problem, and .........there wasn't.

Here are some of the earlier .30-30 "Short Range" loadings:

100 gr. lead 4.4 Bullseye / 5.0 Walsrode / 9.0 DuPont No. 2 Bulk Smokeless

117 gr. lead 6.0 Ballistite / 6.0 Walsrode / 7.0 Schultz / 7.0 Marksman

In testing equivalent charges of current powders, I found these to be ballistic equivalents of the early smokeless powders in these loadings:

Walsrode & Ballistite - 4756, Trail Boss

Schultz & Marksman - Blue Dot, HS7, 571

DuPont No. 2 Bulk Smokeless - 2400

Unique, Universal and 800X produced a bit more velocity in equal charge weights than 4756 and Trail Boss, but are very close equivalents in the charge weights above.

Cartridge history sure is interesting!

John

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint