Fixed it (Read 998 times)
Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Fixed it
Sep 14th, 2019 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
So I fixed the aperture plate on my 1901 rear sight. someone had messed with the sight. The little metal plate with the aperture was on the upward side of the slide and not the lower side where it belongs.

The slide is made up of at least two plates that interlock and, despite my best efforts I could not separate them so as to put the little plate back in place where it goes.

I gambled. I used judicial force. I got lucky, I did not destroy anything. I removed the screw on the left hand side of the slide. I inserted a screw driver on the left hand side of the slide where the two halves join and ever so gently pried them apart. The little plate with the aperture finally popped into place, replaced the screw, done. Fixed. Was I lucky? Damned straight I was, this could have gone very badly. I could have bent or destroyed the slide. I'd bet dollars to donuts this was the wrong way to achieve my goal.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Fixed it
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Good job. We've all taken those slightly (or more) risky ways to get a job done. I can count myself included to say that many of us have also learned the hard way and now know better ways to do some repairs.

Now you're ready to shoot it, I hope!

IP Logged

charlie1511
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Fixed it
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
I have a bent knob on a 1898 rifle also, I have a replacement, but have not not yet tried to repair it. You gave me inspiration to take another look at it.

Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint