Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
"Rescue Dog" - Stock Upgrade (Read 1576 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

"Rescue Dog" - Stock Upgrade
Sep 22nd, 2019 at 6:21am
Print Post  
One of my favorite Krags to shoot is a model 1899 Krag carbine that went through some hard times.

When I first purchased it, all the metal was encased in black enamel paint. It had a Pacific 102-K 'no-drill' peep sight and the original rear-sight holes were plugged.

The Krag's barrel has a pristine bore, but, it is 22 & 1/8 inches long. It appears to be a cut-down Krag rifle barrel with a 'banded' front-sight. (The sight-base may be from a 1901 Springfield prototype rifle).

The wood, it came with, was a model 1899 carbine stock, but, it was so thin in the forearm all evidence of 'finger grooves' was gone.

For years, I have enjoyed shooting this re-barreled 1899 carbine in a 'cut-down' rifle stock.

I recently worked out a parts deal with a very kind and understanding fellow KCA Member. A rather nice, slightly sanded, model 1899 carbine stock arrived today. (I believe the stock may be Italian walnut. It nicely matches a 'darkened' Italian walnut hand-guard, that I already had on this 'carbine').

I snapped some 'before' and 'after' pictures.

The front-sight is clearly 'Wrong', but at 50 & 100 yards, it gives a mighty nice sight picture, with its (PURE MICHIGAN) Marble's 'gold bead' front-blade.
« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2019 at 3:31pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: "Rescue Dog" - Stock Upgrade
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Nice looking "Rescue Dog"...job well done as usual BR.

Should make you howl for joy for many years to come!

IP Logged

pickax
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Definite improvement, good job.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Nice. Looks like you were able to use the same handguard. Would this have a saddle ring on it?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
It is a model 1899 carbine stock. The saddle ring & bar were discontinued with the model 1899 carbine.

The U.S. Cavalry had ceased to used the shoulder-belt with its 'roller carbine snap-hook'. Carbines were simply carried in the saddle-scabbard.

(IMHO - It was realized the 'Carbine Ring' had become a useless noisemaker and expense, that also weakened the stock).

I am continuing to use the same hand-guard.
It is Italian walnut and is lighter in color than the American black walnut 'cut-down' rifle stock, that I was using.

It is a good match with the 'new' carbine stock.

(BTW - In looking at SAW photographs of mounted cavalrymen, it appears the use of the 'crupper' was eliminated in saddle tack. I'm sure this made the horses and troopers happy).

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
With a regulation front sight that would  sure pass for an 1899 carbine. That  looks sharp.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint