Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Stock question. (Read 1496 times)
Littlejohn
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Stock question.
Sep 23rd, 2019 at 1:34am
Print Post  
I'm wondering if the stock on my 1896 Krag is an 1898 stock modified to fit the '96 action. It has a "hand carved" look to it around the bolt handle. What do you think?

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Stock question.
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2019 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Well Littlejohn,

It certainly looks like a cut down rifle stock that was adapted to fit your receiver.

Any cartouche on the other side with the date and initials of the inspector???

IP Logged

Littlejohn
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2019 at 2:13am
Print Post  
Definitely a cut down rifle stock. I was under the impression that a '98 stock would not fit a '96 without modification.

Can't think of any other reason why someone would carve up the area around the bolt handle.

No cartouches visible. The stock has been heavily sanded. (Before I got it)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2019 at 3:55am
Print Post  
'Littlejohn' - It certainly appears your Krag has a cut-down model 1898 rifle stock that was altered in the bolt-handle recess area, by a civilian owner, to accept a model 1896 action.

A model 1898 action will fit into a model 1896 stock. A model 1896 action cannot fit into a model 1898 stock without modification.

Springfield Armory did not mix stocks between models.

About two years ago, I altered a 'cut-down' model 1898 stock to accommodate a model 1896 action with a shortened barrel.

(I did this because I was having no luck finding an appropriate model 1896 stock and I had a 'messed up' model 1898 stock).

Attached photos show an actual original model 1896 bolt-handle cut and my improvised one.

FWIW - The appearance of your stock would be improved by dressing up the radius & bevel at the front part of your bolt-handle "scallop". I did this with a Dremel tool (using a 'bullet' shaped grind-stone to sculpt the wood).
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2019 at 6:00am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2019 at 11:17am
Print Post  
If you feel comfortable using a Dremel tool, I would also recommend trying to clean up and making your cut-out more symmetric. Believe me, it is very easy to mess it up if you aren't good with grinding, sanding and reshaping wood.

If you try it, go very slow and keep cleaning it off and checking it. Depth is one of the difficult aspects of getting this right.

It can be made to look much better, though. Keep us informed and good luck!

IP Logged

Littlejohn
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 12:33am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Sep 23rd, 2019 at 3:55am:
About two years ago, I altered a 'cut-down' model 1898 stock to accommodate a model 1896 action with a shortened barrel.

(I did this because I was having no luck finding an appropriate model 1896 stock and I had a 'messed up' model 1898 stock).

Attached photos show an actual original model 1896 bolt-handle cut and my improvised one.

FWIW - The appearance of your stock would be improved by dressing up the radius & bevel at the front part of your bolt-handle "scallop". I did this with a Dremel tool (using a 'bullet' shaped grind-stone to sculpt the wood).

You certainly did a nice job on that one. I might have to try dressing mine up a little.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint