Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1890 Cast "US" Buckle - ID hints? (Read 1028 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1890 Cast "US" Buckle - ID hints?
Sep 29th, 2019 at 2:47am
Print Post  
I picked up a cast buckle up today, often called an "1890" Buckle.

These are associated with State (National Guard) Troops, who were 'sworn-in' for foreign service, during the SAW.

These were used with Mills Belts and a pair of brass "C" wire closures, by many Troops armed with the .45-70 Trapdoor Rifle.

I didn't pay very much for it and always assume most buckles to be reproductions.

The Seller, who I respect a lot, thought it might be an original. I remain skeptical and think it is a reproduction.

Any one have insights on how to tell the difference?

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1890 Cast "US" Buckle - ID hints?
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2019 at 4:22am
Print Post  
Your buckle looks the same as all of them that I have seen or handled over a fairly long period.  That only means that if it’s a fake it is a good one and identical to an original.  Since it looks like mine, it is an original.  I don’t recall a lot of controversy about these cast brass buckles, but there is or has been a lot of speculation over a stamped brass H-design buckle that was patented in 1881 by Mills and manufactured by Orndorfff, his brother-in-law.  They made a popular model of the same type for the sportsmen, the most popular being a dog’s head design iinstead of the “US”.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: 1890 Cast "US" Buckle - ID hints?
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2019 at 5:33am
Print Post  
Looks just like mine, which I believe to be original. I always figured there were enough of these around that faking wasn't worth it.

The stamped Mills ones HAVE been faked in HUGE quantities. Oddly, the fakes look better than the originals. If the legend is done in heavy well-struck letters, and fully contained on the rear lip, you may have a fake. But, if the legend is struck with rather thin letters, and they are running off the edge, you chances are good of it being OK.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint