Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 1899 Carbine Confusion HELP! (Read 2479 times)
Doc-Owen
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1899 Carbine Confusion HELP!
Oct 3rd, 2019 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks for looking over my first post....Picked up this Krag and can't wait till my books arrive (Brophy & Mallory)... Got me all confused.  Looks like 1899 Carbine but?  Stock looks right, with 1901 cartouche, no sling swivels anywhere, stock or band, 22 inch barrel... 1899 marked receiver, and 858k serial number, rear sight graduated to 2000, but the front sight?  1903... I have read of the Benicia carbines with the 03 front sight, but why convert an already carbine to that sight?  Opinions please? Undecided

IP Logged

Doc-Owen
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1899 Carbine Confusion HELP!
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Whole thing...

IP Logged

Doc-Owen
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
one more...

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Doc-Owen - Welcome to the KCA Forum!

Model 1899 Krag receivers were basically built just as carbines. Your serial number is actually 358544, (Built around November, 1901).

Your carbine stock and hand-guard are quite nice.

That is a Rifle rear-sight on your Krag. The carbine version goes up to 2300 yards and is stamped with a "C" in three places.

Likely, the original carbine barrel had a badly corroded bore and a new barrel was put on the receiver (by someone?).

The genuine DCM/NRA 'carbines' can only be identified, for sure, with a DCM bill-of-sale.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
I do not to get to reply first to too many posts. Welcome, this bunch is very informative and helpful. No drama either!
I have no idea why the why of the front sight. Maybe they wanted you to get a bargain.
A photo of the other side of the rear sight will be helpful to the experts.
And I fairly certain your serial number begins with a 3, sometimes the numbers were pressed in to deep.
Butlersrangers beat me. Oh well.

IP Logged

h8pvmnt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
I have one that is very similar to that except mine had a sling swivel inlet into the stock, the barrel has been changed at some point. Seems to be a common replacement barrel, as mine is very close to 22" and has that same Springfield site.  Makes it less desirable as a collectible carbine and affects the resale value.  But still a really nice rifle. Don't sweat the details as it will never be original so just enjoy it. I bet it shoots really nice. Its likely not a DCM rifle, but you never know......

Mike W.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Doc-Owen,

Welcome also to the KCA. We'll help you find new and exciting ways to spend your hard-earned money on an addicting Krag hobby!

You have a nice M1899 Krag carbine that, of course, has been altered. History has the reason the barrel and front sight were changed locked away, it would appear. If you remove the stock carefully, sometimes you can look at the receiver end of the barrel to see if there are signs that the barrel was changed. I agree that someone may have put a new barrel on if the original one was damaged externally or had a terrible bore. People didn't care about the collectibility of Krags back in the 20s or 30s when many of these were altered for different reasons.

But, you have a really nice carbine receiver and stock that are highly desirable. It is possible to have a correct carbine barrel with correct Springfield Armory front sight on it put on your carbine. You can also look for a replacement rear sight that would be correct for this carbine. That would most likely be a M1901 carbine sight. They are found for sale at times but will run $250-350. I believe one has recently been on Gun Broker around that price.

The 1901 cartouche on your carbine stock is correct and great also. That shows that it is an original Springfield Armory production stock and not a replacement that would not have had the cartouche on the left side.

Finding a correct carbine barrel and having it mounted on your carbine could cost $300 or more.

So, you have some options. You can work over time to find replacement parts and return your carbine to correct status or leave it as it is and enjoy it. Might depend on what you have invested in it so far. A nice correct M1901 carbine in that stock with a correct rear sight could be worth around $1500. That might give you an idea what to do.

But, thanks for sharing and see what more you can learn when you get your reference books and research what you have.

IP Logged

Doc-Owen
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks all for the welcome !   I have a whole 375 invested in this, and it has an absolutely mint bore in the barrel on it, so am not sure how I will proceed... The sight (front) bothers me as not being kosher for a carbine...and barrel looks to have been stepped to fit it, so seems there is no going back on it.  Was an impulse buy, and while I was pretty sure the front sight was not right, the price was right.  In the mean time, I will continue to watch the forum and further educate myself.  My upbringing has been sadly lacking in Krag knowledge thus far, and I hope to correct that.  Again... THANKS for the help!!!!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Doc-Owen: The carbine Stock and Hand-Guard are worth more than the $375 you paid for your carbine.

Take this sweet Krag to the Range and you will likely bond to it and be able to overlook its retro-fitted 'banded' front-sight.

My favorite Krag is a similar model 1899 carbine that got a new barrel and 'banded' sight added to it, when it became a Civilian.
(Mine didn't look as pretty as yours, when I started)!

p.s. Due to the taller than original front-sight, you may need to set your rear-sight to 400 yards, for 50 & 100 yard targets.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Parts are worth the $375 investment.

Go to town and shoot her up!

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Doc-Owen you have a lovely carbine sir!

I acquired my first Krag, by trading with a good friend, a sword bayonet (similar to the one pictured).

I have used it as my educational Krag and have taken it apart and reconfigured it countless times.  It's still one of my favorite Krags.

Best of all it's a very nice shooter!

Hope you have as much fun with your Krag as I have had with mine.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2019 at 9:24pm by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint