Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Confessions of a Sight Junkie (Read 1578 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Confessions of a Sight Junkie
Oct 4th, 2019 at 6:37am
Print Post  
A package arrived today containing a recent Ebay purchase.

It contained a complete model 1902 carbine-sight, with a crude homemade eye-piece 'add on', and an extra leaf, with an altered sight-"V" notch.

I made the purchase (at a reasonable price) to get the very nice model 1902 carbine base, (only 1,000 sights made), and the Slide with an 'un-slotted' Knob.

I had some spare parts, that allowed me to assemble a proper model 1902 carbine sight variation: with 'Sgt. Peep', a slotted-knob, and Fine Slide-Serrations.

(I already had a 1902 carbine-sight variation without 'Sgt. Peep', course leaf serrations, and a '1903' slotted-knob.

I now have two variations of this rare sight and figure, with all the possible part variations that could occur, there are something like 75 part combinations!

Attached pictures show my purchase, part details, and the assembled sight next to my other 1902 carbine-sight.

Woohoo! Just 73 variations to go!  Shocked
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2019 at 3:11pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Confessions of a Sight Junkie
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
You Dawg!...Now how did I miss that one???

Looks GREAT and awesome find BR!!!

BTW: Looks like the same old confused worker stamped yours that stamped mine.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Butlers- I inadvertently was bidding against you a bit. Didn't push it too much but I saw what you saw. Nice piece. I figured someone else wanted it more than I did. (I think I was right.)

I think I have another M1902 carbine base in the mail from another source. I'm not sure if the slide is carbine or not but it's fun to wait and anticipate!

Love those slides!

Nice hobby, these Krags.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
I just got this in the mail. I made a purchase of a wrecked up Krag cut down rifle with a bad barrel and horribly bubba-ed stock and paid very little for it. But, it has a ton of useable parts including the bolt and was wearing this beauty that I bought it for...a M1902 carbine sight. This carbine sight has the "c" stamp on the left side and the correct base. It also does not have a peep. Great shape too. Now, I have two-one with a "c" stamp on the right side of the base (on my PC rifle) and this one stamped on the left side of the base.

These things are out there like Butlers and I have found. Just keep your eye on details and have patience.

It's nice to be accumulating a parts bin to repair Krags with and change parts around as needed to make them more correct.

Out of only 1000 made, Butlers and I have 4 of them!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 4:11am
Print Post  
'Local Boy' also has one.

Whig - IMHO - the 1902 bases, with the "C" on the left-side, are very rare .... Extremely nice find!

It is interesting that a fair number, of our small sample of model 1902 carbine sights, have the late knob, 'dished' to use the .30-03 rimless cartridge case, as a tool.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2019 at 6:07am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 5:10am
Print Post  
I am not very good with this type of math, but, I think this may describe the combinations or variations possible with the 1902 carbine sight. (I'm not positive all of these actually occurred):

2 base variations - "C" right-side & "C" left-side.

4 eye-piece variations - '02 plain, '02 sgt. peep, '98 ground & '98 ground with sgt. peep.

3 leaf scale variations - line through numbers, line stops at numbers, and 25 yard increments.

3 leaf serration patterns - fine, coarse, and fine 'cross-hatch'.

3 locking-knob types - plain, slotted, and slotted for .30-03 case.

I reckon, there are 216 possible feature combinations, with the Krag model 1902 carbine sight.

If you throw in the rifle sight base, that would add another 108 model 1902 sight possibilities!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 8:26am
Print Post  
That'za-Lot'za-Mozerella!

I have some of these different parts on some other sights of mine. Joe Farmer's book shows a lot of these different variations which is a good reference.

I haven't seen many with the "c" on the left and most references don't even mention it as a variation.

Nice collection we KCA members are amassing!

I'm going to keep looking. I like the early M1898 varieties the best with the three notches still on the back of the slide.

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Good find BR!  It may be a rough mod to the sight but it sure looks practical. 
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint