Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Krag Finds in Gun Show Today (Read 4538 times)
lgr1613
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag Finds in Gun Show Today
Oct 5th, 2019 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Went to a gun show in Belleville, IL (south-western IL, just across the river from St Louis) this morning, saw 2 Krags from the same dealer, both overpriced in my opinion. Both 1898's, one oriiginal, very nice $1100, the other not quite as nice, but close, a cut-down rifle, $850. Both well above my interest level in $$.

I'm still looking for that 1896 Krag original stock and handguard set for $150. I know, just dreaming....

An observation about gun shows in my area (Southern Illinois and SE Missouri), fewer vendors,the show today was only about 2/3 normal size, empty tables in a typically sold-out show, and when I drove in about 11AM parking lot was only about half full for that time of morning. In addition, some vendors were not particularly eager to deal. They seemed adamant to bargain or negotiate at all with prices. Maybe Illinois politics (i.e. recent gun dealer licensing legislation, among other affronts to believers in the Second Amendment) has discouraged dealers and enthusiasts.

I can recall an artist's rendering in a gun magazine years ago of a very happy fellow loaded down with treasures (helmet, rifle, webgear etc. with the caption "Coming Home from the
Gun show". Not any more, for me at least - I came home today completely empty-handed.
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2019 at 12:06am by lgr1613 »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag Finds in Gin Show Today
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 12:02am
Print Post  
I don't go much out of my way for gun shows anymore. There may be some willingness, as far as I've seen, to negotiate but usually from extremely high starting prices. Too many ARs in weird configurations and occasionally a nice Garand or M1903A3 for a ridiculous price. They've lost me for now.

IP Logged

Rcat7147
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag Finds in Gin Show Today
Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Belleville is just a hop across the river from me.
Glad I didn’t go!

I do make it to the flea market in Belleville every few months.  I’ve picked up a couple knick-knacks there but nothing to write home about.

I’m a collector but also a dealer.  Since I buy from auctions for my inventory, I find it really difficult to pay full retail even for something I want for my personal collection. 

And as you’ve seen, gun shows are retail plus 20%.  Sad times.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag Finds in Gun Show Today
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 1:02am
Print Post  
My last gun show purchase in northern Illinois was this past Spring. I started the discussion with "why you selling this gun so cheap?" Grin Then he made me a deal I couldn't refuse. Looking at similar guns on the net I feel I did better than OK.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 1:18am
Print Post  
The gun shows by me are like small museums.  Displays of things that are nice to look at but so over priced they may as well not be for sale. The internet sites do not help this. Just because someone somewhere pays a inflated price for an item does not mean that is its value. Try and tell that to the seller though. I think that is part of the reason show attendance is down. I do not waste my time trying to beat some sellers iPhone to get a deal. Boy, I must have woke up cranky today.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 6:51am
Print Post  
I hardly ever go to shows anymore. Granted, I have relocated to a small town in northern CA farming country, where the biggest shooting discipline is duck hunting. The local shows are small, poorly attended, and what space there is is largely filled with black rifles, plastic pistols, jerky, tee-shirts, and antique china/furniture/etc.

I built my entire collection from GOOD shows in the SF Bay Area in the 70's and 80's. You would not believe what used to show up. Most of my collector friends have passed, so when I return to my old haunts, all I see is ghosts (and more %$#$^#%$^ black rifles).

Am about ready to start hanging it up. I plan to prepare a list of items for sale over the winter. I WILL be parting with one of my 26" rifles, but have not decided which. Paring down to 75 SA-made arms will be fairly easy, the next step - 50 - will be harder, and my final goal - the 25 best* or most interesting - will be VERY hard.  Cry

Will be keeping MY Chaffee-Reece!

IP Logged

Rcat7147
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Dick Hosmer wrote on Oct 6th, 2019 at 6:51am:
Will be keeping MY Chaffee-Reece!

Grin

I’ve enjoyed your book so far.  Thanks again!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
I have belonged to gun collecting clubs in Michigan, since I was 16 years old. It was always common to quickly pass tables that had little to attract my specific interests. But, I could always find something at a show that was desirable and a good value. (Even though, I often didn't have the resources to buy it).

My 'Buddy' and I have always done well 'Selling'. We periodically cull things from our accumulation and have reasonable prices.

Last week, I had a week-end table at the "Michigan Antique Arms Collectors" show. Table fees have jumped from $50 to $75. I did not see much business going on in regard to gun sales. Growing expenses and lack of action may hurt the size of shows.

The MAAC has become a smaller, lightly attended show, and the population in attendance is aging, (compared to the past). There were not many, under age 55, attendees.

We recouped our table fees on gun sights, collector ammo, manuals, and accessories. My sales were mainly to fellow table holders. The younger people did not seem to have much knowledge, interest, or money.

There were lots of antique guns, but, prices were largely unreasonable. I had some good conversations and learned a few things, but, my purchases were a Mills buckle and some parts.

It was surprising how many 'Walkers' and 'Amigo vehicles' were in use. Our 'fraternity' has aged and not attracted younger members.

'Black Rifles' are not allowed at this show, but, the antique stuff is not great and over-priced. The best items are on 'display' and NFS.

I believe the internet has greatly changed arms and parts sales and the quality of items at a gun show. In recent times, I have had the most success on the internet and at the local gun shop.

My interests have changed over the years. I have never had the wonderful focus and collecting discipline exhibited by Dick Hosmer!

I have been a 'generalist', drawn to some historic military guns and accessories, some hunting guns, certain handguns, and some target arms.
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2019 at 8:13pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Interesting take, which I'm sure could easily describe the situations of many of us, and, thanks for the compliment. I HAD to be disciplined because resources were aways scarce - there are a lot of 'vacations not taken' sitting in my rack.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Dick,

You are facing a situation that many of us (or our spouses!) will have to deal with at some time in the future- how to best dispose of our firearm collection.

Auctions are terrible for the seller generally. Auction houses charge 25-30% commission to sell and are up to 20-25% buyer's premium charge in addition to "handling" charges added if they package and ship the firearm. So, auction companies are making around 50% of the sale price of these firearms sold! Amazing.

Selling on Gun Broker is not bad but they charge around 10% of the selling price. A local gun show is good but you don't have the national exposure like an online auction or Gun Broker has.

But, if you have owned these for a while, they have undoubtably increased in value. So, a little cost for selling them isn't bad. If you sell them, though, you probably don't want to give them away. You, like most of us, will want to get a fair current price for them.

I, honestly, am always looking for a bargain. I mostly search and search for a piece that has hidden value and rarely want to pay full price for an item. If I was collecting and trying to fill all of the types of a specific  series or model, I may want to pay full price or more for that one piece I need to fill a hole.

So, I wish you well in figuring out what approach you will take to start selling your hard-earned collection. What you choose to do might help us decide how we deal with the same situation in the future!

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
The biggest change I have seen is due to being an Illinois resident. I grew up in Wisconsin and only live 22 miles from the border. So I have gone to many gun shows in Wisconsin, not that I buy a lot. But now I am seeing signs at tables that say "Will Not Sell to Illinois Residents" due to the extra fuss Illinois requires for transactions. They never did like FIBs up there anyhow.

As far as downsizing my small collection...…well, I have 5 sons and 2 grandsons (so far).

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
I usually attend the Michigan Antique Arms Collectors show and always visit my good friends Chuck and Rich.  I agree... attendance is definitely down, and not many younger people there.  I'll see something I want to look at and get barked at with "Don't Touch That!"  Most of the Krags and Trapdoors I see are over priced.  I wish I had more loose change lying around... I'd walk out with a Krag or two.

I'd love to be able to purchase one of Dick's collection when he starts paring it down... but with my current financial situation... that will have to remain a dream!

I will, however, inherit my dad's 1873 carbine and Bannerman built Trapdoor rifle once dad's gone (hopefully no time soon).  Otherwise, I'll just keep playing the lottery and wishing/dreaming  Wink

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Paul, my dad died 2 years ago and left me a few hand guns and a beautiful No. 5 Mark 1 Jungle Carbine that he bought when I was a little kid at a hardware store. I still have his receipt where he paid $17.50 for the carbine, a military case, two magazines, a bayonet and some .303 military ammo. Quite a haul for $17.50!

The rifle is in great condition and shoots wonderfully. Kicks like a bear with that hard rubber butt pad but I put a recoil reducing pad on for my shoulder.

Having that rifle of his is indeed priceless. Ones I buy are nice but his is special and I'm glad to have it.

So, I'm sure you'll treasure your dad's rifles when they eventually come your way.

My kids aren't into mil surp firearm collecting at this time but they will all get some of my collection. That includes my daughter.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Whig - FWIW: Some 'Jungle Carbine' bayonets are quite rare and valuable.

How about posting some pictures of your Dad's carbine and bayonet under 'other arms'?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
I didn't know that. I don't have much experience with bayonets. Only a little about Krag bayonets.

When I get a chance, I will do that.

Thanks, Paul.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint