Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Jungle Carbine Bayonet (Read 7750 times)
Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Jungle Carbine Bayonet
Oct 7th, 2019 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
As requested, I have snapped a few pictures of my dad's Jungle carbine's bayonet. I will take pictures of the carbine when I get a chance.

To repeat, my dad died two years ago and left me some nice hand guns and a couple rifles. The Jungle carbine was one he bought at a hardware store when I was a kid in the early 70s and he paid $17.50 for it. The rifle came with a case, a sling, a bayonet and scabbard (frog?), two mags and some ammo. I have shot it a few times. Kicks a ton.

This is the bayonet that it came with. I know nothing about these but this has been with the carbine since he bought it. I don't know why the date after the Poole "P" marking only shows a strong "194" and possibly a very worn off "7" if that is possible. It has green paint on it. I haven't figured out what the letters on the back of the scabbard are yet. I'll have to look when I get a chance. The bayonet is in good shape and there are more markings under the green paint in a couple areas.

Here are the pictures. I hope you experts can help me. I guess these original bayonets for this Enfield are sort of scarce these days. Lots of repros.

Thanks for the help. I'll work on the carbine pictures soon.

I took these quickly and didn't correct for bad exposure.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Jungle Carbine Bayonet
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
More bayo pics:

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
'Whig' - Well, you have a real British No. 5 Bayonet. It certainly appears to have seen use and the one (lighter colored) grip panel was replaced.

The canvas hanger is British, but, the metal scabbard is improvised from a scabbard for some other country's bayonet and not correct.

After the Jungle Carbine and Bayonet were discontinued, the scabbards were still useful and recycled for later model bayonets.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2019 at 4:27am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 12:06am
Print Post  
The scabbard didn't look like others I've seen. The lighter grip panel shows a bunch of grime buildup. It must have been changed out a long time ago.

I imagine that the green paint is authentic for some reason?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 12:58am
Print Post  
I am sure the green paint is legitimate and the lighter colored grip was probably put on at an ordnance depot.

I imagine a veteran bayonet like yours is worth a couple of hundred bucks. (Reproductions sell for $80).

Attached: Some literature on the 'Jungle Carbine' No.5- bayonet

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Back in 1972, I spent a couple of months traveling around England and Scotland.

I had written in advance and was given permission and an appointment to visit the Pattern Room at Enfield Arsenal.

I was guided around the Pattern Room by Mr. Herbert Woodend, who was a very genial and knowledgeable Superintendent at Enfield Lock.

Mr. Woodend, was from Northern Ireland and very helpful to North American Arms Students and authors from the U.S. and Canada.

I was enthusiastic during my hours in the Pattern Room, asked intelligent questions, and provided some assistance in reassembling an Enfield made copy of the 'Dryse Needle-gun'.

At the end of my visit, Mr. Woodend asked if there was anything he could help me with for my collection?

I said, in jest: "A Jungle Carbine Bayonet"!

He opened a bench drawer full of them and gave me one with scabbard.
He instructed: "Better hide it in your pants. The guards get excited about this sort of thing"!
(Good thing I was lean with a flat stomach, back then)!

Pictures of my prize bayonet attached:

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Thanks, Butlers, for the info. Nice to piece together some history on this piece my dad has had for most of my life. Certainly a family treasure I'll be passing down to one of my kids.

The carbine looks unused. Bore is absolutely mirror without any evidence of use. Were any of these No 5's unissued?

I'll try to take pictures and post tomorrow.

Fascinating story of how you got your bayonet. Should have asked for two!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Two! That was the first time I saw or handled ONE.

(He also gave me a correct scabbard for my 'three rivet' Pattern 1888 Lee-Metford bayonet. Good thing I was thin and wiry!
The late Mr. H. Woodend was a very intelligent and interesting man. He had a passionate interest in early metallic cartridges, including American ones. I got to meet him again at the Pattern Room, with a group of Canadian Gun Collectors, in 1977. We were able to take him and his lovely wife out to Dinner, in London, a couple of nights later).

BTW - The Enfield Pattern Room is no more. Part of the collection is now in The Museum at Leeds.

Regarding unissued "Jungle Carbines":

When I was about 15 years old (1963), I saw a tableful of 'mint' British Jungle Carbines at Berry's Army Surplus in Detroit. The price was $35, each.

At Michigan Antique Arms Gun-Shows, the 'Jungle Carbine' was a common item in the late 1960's and early 1970's. They often appeared unissued and sold for $35.00.

My first Jungle Carbine was an early one, that had been used and poorly re-finished. Around 1969, I sold it for $35 and bought an 'unissued' one for $35.

Gun prices use to remain unchanged for years. Your Dad got quite the bargain for $17.50. You want to double his money?!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2019 at 3:02pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 1:57am
Print Post  
Evidently, from your history of the price at that time, my dad must have lucked into a hardware store that was having a "1/2 off" sale.

I wouldn't take less than $45 for it!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Ok ... You drive a hard bargain! $47.50, final offer.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Littlejohn
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 3:59am
Print Post  
No.5 MK1's are cool. I bought one in 1977 for $45.00. Traded it and some cash for an IHC M1 a year later. I found this one in the LGS a couple of years ago.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Paid a little more than $45.00 for it though.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Nice looking carbine, Littlejohn!

I started collecting as a teenager in the 1960's and focused on British military stuff. It was a lot cheaper than U.S. Arms and some good gun books (in English) were available and inexpensive.
Neat things showed up at Michigan shows, coming into the U.S. from Canada.
A little bit of knowledge and not too much competition from other collectors, made it great fun!

I lost interest in the Lee-Enfield rifles, as shooters, because a lot of them were tough on Brass. I have sold off some of the rarer things, I lucked into, as my interest in other arms grew.

I came to the sad realization there were too many variations of Lee-Enfield rifles and too many 'Holy Grails' that were out of reach.

I have kept these example rifles, that were acquired before 1968, and some bayonets picked up along the way.

My youngest son would like to have these someday.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2019 at 3:56pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Funny thing about bayonets ... they use to be a relatively low cost accessory you bought to go along with a military rifle.

Now, a fair number of bayonets are rarer and more valuable, than the rifles they attach to!
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2019 at 4:19am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Is there any truth to the old story that many, if not most, of the "jungle carbines" were NOT originally made as such? I seem to remember an article in "Man at Arms"?

Had one in the 1970s. NASTY to shoot (and I'm not particularly recoil sensitive) as I recall - right up there with the Moisin-Nagant M44 carbine.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
From my observation, a lot of bogus "Jungle Carbines" started being manufactured in the 1990's and until 2010.

They were initially marketed by importers as 'replicas', but, soon were being passed off as the real thing. They are easily detected by an experienced eye, but, cause confusion to the inexperienced.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint