Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 1905 Springfield bayonet (Read 4957 times)
King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1905 Springfield bayonet
Oct 10th, 2019 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Hello to the forum: I picked this up and hope I can get some help from the pros. I thought the early bayonets should be in the brite. Does this look like a repo or possibly refinished? I know it is not a krag bayonet but maybe someone has some experience in this field. Thanks in advance, kc

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1905 Springfield bayonet
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Gosh, I can't tell from the pictures- is it blued or Parkerized?

Looks like a nice bayonet, though.

Hopefully an experienced bayo collector will chime in.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
I pretty sure it is a black parkerized finish.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 5:16am
Print Post  
Looks like a nice 1903 Springfield bayonet.

It went through two World Wars.

IMHO - It is a likely arsenal reconditioned bayonet.

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Both the 1906 and 1912 dates were finished in the White (Bright) when new.  Springfield blued the blades in 1917, but only did so for a few years then changed to a parkerized finish.  The Parkerized finish for WWII was a pretty heavy finish and blades and all handle parts looked pretty much the same when done. When redone for WWII, the wood grips would have been changed out for the familiar black (or once in awhile brown) plastic. Your 1912 still shows some of the dark case color at the very end which was common for the bright blades.  The arsenal blue had no delineation between the blade and the hilt. In the photos you've provided, it's difficult to tell if the 1906 was blued or is just in need of a cleaning or both.  My guess in blued for WWI and in need of a cleaning.  The blue used for the bayonet was not a bright, shiny blue, but rather a more subdued, almost black look. The 1912 may still be "in the bright", but also in need of careful cleaning.  What, if any, sort of scabbards did you get with them?

I think Brophy's book on the 1903 Springfield covers the bayonets as well.  I haven't reviewed it in quite a while, but will if you need more complete information.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
The scabbard on the 1906 bayonet is pretty rough. The 1912 one is in nice shape. Kind of hard to tell if its blued  or parkerized. I will try to give them a clean up.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Hi King Carp,

As Olderthansome informed us above...your bayonet blade probably started out life in the white and eventually was blued/parkerized somewhere along the line.

Joe Poyer's book "The Model 1903 Springfield Rifle and it's Variations" seems to indicate that your bayonet was modified to what he calls the 2nd variation due to the letter "A" stamped on the pommel.  The second variation had to due with increasing the size of the catch, pommel drain hole and boss grip screw.

Also stated in Poyer's book is that all 2nd and 3rd variation bayonets returned for refurbishing between 1917 and 1918 had their blades blued to the tip.

After November 1918...all 1905 bayonets sent in for refurbishing were parkerized.

One of your bayonets has a 1917 scabbard which would seem to be incorrect but was actually authorized in 1920 as a substitute for the Model 10 scabbard.

You can use some form of leather conditioner like Pecard Leather Dressing to slow the decay on your leather scabbard.

1905 bayonets are HOT ITEMS on the market today!  The prices keep going up, up, up!

I'd say you have at least $450 to $550 worth of bayonets pictured! 
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2019 at 8:52pm by Local Boy »  

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the info. That's a nice surprise on their value! I bought a 1903 Springfield in the early eighties for half that price. I think It compliments the rifle nicely. Thanks again, kc

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Here are pictures of my PC rifle with the slightly beveled bayonet lug to allow for the use, as was done at the time, of the M1903 bayonet on the PC rifle. The bevel allows the M1903 bayonet locking mechanism to be activated and locked onto the Krag bayonet lug properly.

I had to use a lot of preservative on the leather scabbard which was really dry.

Thought it looked nice at the end of the Krag.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
That bayonet is in great condition for its age. I will try some of that conditioner on my scabbard. Thanks for the tip. The bayonet looks good on your school rifle. Thanks again.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks. I have used Sno-Seal for years for all of my leather reconditioning. has beeswax in it along with other good stuff. I carefully rub it in with excess on the leather and let it sit over night and buff it off. Really soaks in and reconditions well.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
I have used sno-seal for years on my boots. It certainly waterproofs as advertised. I have some pecards conditioner for antique leather. I will start with that. I believe it also contains bees wax.
        Thanks again, kc

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #12 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
What is the dark strip of wood behind the band? Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Normally there is just a plug (sometimes so tight and well-fitted and varnished over as to be nearly invisible) in the lightening channel, with the stock itself running full to the band.

Does yours have a plug as well, or is there a whole new end to the stock?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Dick, this is the PC that you've seen before. That dark strip is my obvious repair to the stock that had been badly damaged underneath and behind with the poor fit of an incorrect front band as found when I first acquired this rifle.

Remember the "Parquet" patterned front where I fabricated the walnut stock with a plug?

That's what you're seeing.

Before and after repair pictures:

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #14 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 7:15am
Print Post  
Sorry, guess I'm starting to lose track - so many Krags, so little time! Thanks for the clarification. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint