Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Weaver N2 / N3 Scope Mounts and 3/4” Scopes (Read 5874 times)
carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Re: Weaver N2 / N3 Scope Mounts and 3/4” Scopes
Reply #15 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
OK found one "Low Scope Safety Krag" on ebay ...

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
I have never messed with the Buehler safety-lever for the Krag.

I am curious if it requires alteration to the Bolt-Sleeve or Striker-Rod?

(I do have a Buehler Safety for the 1903 Springfield. It does not require original parts alteration.

FWIW - I am not real keen on the 1903 Buehler Safety. It makes Springfield bolt/striker disassembly a lot trickier).

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Just asking would the 3/4 J2.5 weaver clear the safety since it is smaller? I have one on my Model 67 Winchester. My dad originally had it on his 1917 Enfield. The eye piece is less than 1" in diameter and can work with about a 6 inch eye relief. Probably not as bright as some, I did take the lenses out 40 years ago and cleaned them. Did not have any nitrogen to fill the tube so I used propane. Probably left a little petroleum residue on the lenses, but it is not terrible.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 12:50am
Print Post  
I'm sure that would totally depend on the scope mount, receiver hole-placement, and height of rings, but, even if it cleared, the issue Krag safety-lever likely would be clumsy with a scope.

p.s. - FredC: I hope your repaired scope never springs a gas leak. You'll blow your mind!
I didn't know the old small diameter Weaver scopes were 'gas filled'.

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 1:52am
Print Post  
I put a Buehler on a rifle and thankfully there were no additional mods that were needed so no worry there.
I was also lucky that the pick up cam didn't need to be polished or adjusted for smooth operation but that may not always be the case.
Theirs also a long weaver quick detach mount for longer scopes that will almost but not quite allow the safety to work.
In my case you could rotate the safety just enough for it to work but it was not quite satisfactory enough for me to not find a Buehler.
I paired it with a Weaver K4-E which turned out to be a good combination overall.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 2:55am
Print Post  
Thanks 'Doco' for the info. on the Buehler Safety for the Krag.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
QUOTE "p.s. - FredC: I hope your repaired scope never springs a gas leak. You'll blow your mind!
I didn't know the old small diameter Weaver scopes were 'gas filled'."

Not sure if it is sealed, was mainly to keep the moisture out so it would not fog in the cold. If there is any left in there and ignited it would not even singe my eyebrows. It is on a .22 you know. Smiley

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Nov 13th, 2019 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
A good scope for a Krag with one of these sidemounts would be a Rudolph P. Noske 2.5 or 4X.  5-6" of eye relief puts the scope forward of both the bolt handle and safety.  They're not easy to find though, and they have a 7/8" tube.  Here's a pic of how they were mounted back then.  The idea was to keep the scope's line of sight as close as possible to being the same as the irons.  Course that's not going to be the case when it's offset to the side as it would have to be on a Krag.  To me they are a better scope than either the Alaskan or Texan.  One thing I really like is that the objective lens can be adjusted for focus.  Even with my bad right eye, I was able to adjust it to a sharp focus, without my glasses.  Authors Bob Bell and Nick Stroeble had Noske going under during WWII, but I just spied an ad in a 1947 Field and Stream, he was still making them!
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2019 at 1:32am by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #23 - Nov 21st, 2019 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
they also have these Paul Jaeger scope mounts for krag rifle .. the nice thing about these is that they slide off so you can use the original sights and it makes it easy to take the bolt out ... I was the high bidder on ebay  at 55 dollars a few weeks ago on another one of these nice scope mounts so they come up ...

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #24 - Nov 21st, 2019 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
and with a scope on ...

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Nov 21st, 2019 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
For the Noske the plate of your Jaeger mount would have to be further forward.  That's something I noted about Weaver mounts, some gunsmiths place them forward, drilling tapping the receiver ring also, and some mount them further back.  Guess it depended on the scope they were planning to use.  One of my 98s is drilled and tapped forward.  With the Weaver plate and high forward Weaver rings to attach to it, I can put a 6x24 scope with a 50mm objective bell on it!

I scoped my AR with a scope similar to yours.  A Sears Ted Williams version, pre-microtrac, but it tracks fine.  Shot a 97 slow fire, and 96-3x rapid from prone with it a couple years ago.  Nevermind how offhand went!

IP Logged

Stretch32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #26 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 2:23am
Print Post  
I ended up finding both an N2 and N3 scope mount since my project receiver is already D+T’d for them. I think, based on initial mock up, that the N3 is the better option. It places the scope a bit higher up and closer to the center line of the barrel / receiver.

I also found a Weaver 29S (civilian 330) and a J4. Both are nice but I think the 4x J4 is probably the one I’ll use.

It’s coming along.....slowly. It won’t be done this hunting season but it should be good next year.

Stretch

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint