Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 Weaver N2 / N3 Scope Mounts and 3/4” Scopes (Read 5790 times)
Stretch32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Weaver N2 / N3 Scope Mounts and 3/4” Scopes
Oct 10th, 2019 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
I’m building a sporter for my sister and she’d like a scope on it. My receiver is already D&T’d for a Weaver N series mount but I’m not sure which to use. My stock is a sporter stock with a high comb so the sight level is fairly high relative to an original. Ideally I’d go with an N3 in hopes it would clear the stock safety / bolt while still allowing spent cases to eject cleanly. The N2 mounts lower so I assume I’ll need a low scope safety.

Can someone provide pictures / pros / cons / feedback on whether an N2 or an N3 is better on a sporter Krag?

Also, I’d like to use a small diameter 3/4” scope like a Weaver 330 / J2.5  or Higgins 4x. Has anyone used something like these on a Krag? Can anyone provide feedback / comments / thoughts on how they worked?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Stretch

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Weaver N2 / N3 Scope Mounts and 3/4” Scopes
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 2:12am
Print Post  
The N3 would be the higher one.  You may have to use the higher one for bolt clearance.  The old list of the Q, U, N, and B mounts that I have doesn't have the Krag on it, however.  It's a copy someone gave me out of an old Shooter's Bible.  It seems to me there were some N mounts made that take a 7/8" tube like the Lyman Alaskan and several others.  The Alaskan is a bit pricey now a days, however. 

Found a pic of a list online, N2 and N3 are the right ones for the Krag, with N3 being the higher one.

They are a solid mount, but wheter or not you have enough adjustment on your scope will likely depend on how good a job the machinist did getting the holes parallel to the bore line.  A lot of 3/4 inch scopes are short on eye relief for shooting highpower rifles as they are meant for the low recoil of the 22LR.  For example the Realist 3/4" scopes only had a 2" eye relief.  Probably wouldn't be much of a problem with the recoil of a Krag as long as one has a good hold on the rifle.  Weavers have a more generous eye relief of 3-3.5"

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 2:12am
Print Post  
When I was a teenager, I had a cut-down Krag with a J2.5 in an "N" (not sure whether 2 or 3) mount. Worked fine as long as you tilted the rifle a bit to eject. Had a Buehler safety.

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Hi Strech32,

I think your idea of going with the N3 is a good one because it allows for more height.

Here's a sporterized scoped Krag that I picked up a gun show last year.

The rifle has Weaver number 2 detachable side mount that allows for the attachment of a scope with a 1 inch tube.

The scope is a Weaver K10 60-B.

I refinished the stock and replaced the damaged/cracked butt pad with a metal one.

Because the scope sat so low I had to extensively grind/sand down the top of the bolt sleeve to allow it to pass under the scope.  Boy I hated doing that! Angry

IP Logged

Local Boy
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 9:01am
Print Post  
More pics

IP Logged

Stretch32
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Local Boy,

Thats a nice rifle you've built. It also explains to me why the bolt sleeve on my rifle is ground down to the internal rivets. I hadn't thought about having such a large bell on the scope that it hit the bolt.

I've found a 3/4" N2 scope mount but I'm still looking for an N3 in 3/4" size for the higher mounting. I'm going back to the little gun store nearby to see if there might be an N3 scope mount and possibly a Buehler low scope safety in all the boxes of stuff the owner has. Fingers crossed....

I'm still trying to decide which scope to use but I'm thinking a Weaver 330, J2.5 or J4 since the bells are really small and should ease any clearance issues. The J series are for rimfire cartridges but it seems many have used these on lower powered centerfire rifles (like a Krag) with good success.

If anybody has one of these scopes in good condition they'd like to sell let me know.

More to follow.

Stretch

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
The Weaver "J" scopes were OK for high-power rifles. They were a little cheaper, and smaller scale, so a lot of them wound up on .22s, but they were built just as solidly as the "K" models. You can check this out in contemporary advertising.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Color case hardened N3s available on gunbroker.  Probably more than you want to spend, but I always liked that finish.

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
there is quite a few of these old weaver and williams krag scope mounts on ebay ... what I look for is "vintage scope mount lot" they never say there for a krag but there easy to spot ....

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 1:09am
Print Post  
Some Weaver mounts, that go on the #2 Base, appear to be taller and allow the Ocular-Lens Housing on a 1 inch scope to clear the issue bolt-sleeve.

Pictured is a 1 inch Weaver detachable side-mount, (model #49350). It is holding a K-3 Weaver. This 'rig' clears the bolt-sleeve, but, does not allow function of the issue Krag safety-lever.
A 'Krag' Buehler safety-lever would allow safety function.

The 1" Weaver K-3 pictured is a lot brighter than 3/4 inch Weaver Scopes.

It is also cheaper than the 3/4" and 7/8" Scopes, sought by Springfield model 1903/A4 'Sniper Rifle' fanciers.
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2019 at 2:34am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
I was looking for the model number of these weaver and williams scope mounts and the williams actually say krag on it and the weaver just have a number 2 stamped ... the weaver the package it came in did list krag as one of the guns it did fit ...

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
My Weaver mount is of fairly recent origin. I bought the #2 Base and the #49350 (1" Detachable) Side-Mount, separately, off of eBay.

The Mount is marked 'Weaver Side-1"H'. (I imagine the "H" means High).

I put it on a Krag that came to me with extra Holes. It functions well, except, it blocks the standard Safety-Lever.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Attached are some pages from a 1963 Williams, "How to Convert Military Rifles" catalog (cringe).

It does not appear that Williams used numbers to identify their mounts. The Krag Mount was noted as: "QC-SM-Krag".

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #13 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
I have never seen one of those altered safeties ... where would get one ... I did not know they had anything like that ...

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #14 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I was looking for one of those altered safety on Grandpa's Gun Parts I did not see one although they had "Saddle Bar with Ring" for 55 Dollars ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint