Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag bayonet (Read 1456 times)
King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag bayonet
Oct 13th, 2019 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Helli to the forum: I recently picked up a krag bayonet dated 1896. It will not fit on either of my 1898 krag rifles.the catch goes on ok it is the ferrule that is too small to go on the barrel. Was there a difference in barrel diameter between rifles? I have a 1901 dated bayonet that fits both rifles. There is no rust or Mark's on the inside of the ferrule.  Were these bayonets used on any other rifles? Maybe with a larger barrel diameter. It is smaller by quite a bit. You would have to real twist it hard to get it on the krag barrel. Any ideas?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag bayonet
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Sounds like an incorrect or modified bayonet. Can you post some pictures? Is anything else out of the ordinary with the bayonet?

Rifle barrels for all of the .30 caliber Krag barrels at the muzzle, as they were made at Springfield Armory,  were all 0.620 inches. (Except BoOF rifles.) Carbine barrels were 0.635 inches. That's why the PC and School rifles that were altered to be able to support a bayonet had the muzzle turned down slightly to fit the barrel ring/ferrule. So there should be no authentic variation on a regular Krag rifle.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
I measured the inside ferrule it is .612. I think it is a krag bayonet. I could be wrong on that. Were these used on any other rifles?  I cleaned the grime out with steel wool. You would really have to force this on the barrel to get it to fit.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 2:59am
Print Post  
It looks like a glob of paint or rust is inside the top of your bayonet 'ring'.

I suspect, if you cleaned the interior of the mounting 'ring', it would fit your barrel's muzzle.

A 20 gauge bronze shotgun brush could be put in a section of cleaning-rod and spun in a power drill to polish the interior; moistening with Hoppe's solvent would help.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 4:21am
Print Post  
I guess it's the lighting in the photo that looks like gunk or paint. The inner ring is clean with no obstructions. It still does not fit. I left the rest of the bayonet "as found". It seems to be about 8 thousands of an inch undersize.  I did not want to ream it out until I learned more about it. Thanks for the help.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 10:24am
Print Post  
It's not a rare or unusually valuable bayonet. I'd just ream out the ferrule a bit and you'll be happy. It looks fine otherwise.

Hard to explain what happened. It must have been altered in some way.

Good luck.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
This problem is often the result of the ring being "squooshed" at some time, making the opening oval instead of round. Did you try measuring the opening at several points? Any difference?

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Thank you for aiming me in the right direction. When I compared this bayonet to my other "good" one I could see that the guard was bent back towards the catch. Someone must have tried stabbing a tank to death with it!  I will try and bend it back where it belongs.
      Thanks again, kc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint