Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
New Krag questions (Read 1748 times)
Griff557
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New Krag questions
Oct 13th, 2019 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
I took the plunge and bought a 1898 Krag Rifle from Yankee Artifacts. I know just enough about Krags to be dangerous I have the “Poyer” book so Iam learning as I go. From what I think I know the rifle is a late 1903 (#473698) the muzzle measures less than “1” and the bore clean and shiny the furniture has the typical dings/knicks for a 117 year old mil-surp rifle nothing real serious. I have not the shot the rifle yet I have a box of factory Hornady to start with and some new unfired Hornady cases I plan on reloading if anyone has a pet load they want to share.

Again from what I think I know it has a converted 1898 sight with a type 4B eye piece. The  binding screw has the plain slotted knob.

I have an extra 1902 eye piece that I would like to modify the notch .....but I haven’t figured out how to switch eye pieces any help would be great.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New Krag questions
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 12:10am
Print Post  
Happy to hear you took the plunge. Now, you know that you will be asked to post pictures, don't you?

IMR4350 seems to be a common denominator when it comes to recipes. What type of shooting are you planning on? Strictly target, or some hunting, also? You will be advised to have the gun checked out by a competent smithy.

So......how about some pictures? Smiley

IP Logged

Griff557
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Knute1 wrote on Oct 14th, 2019 at 12:10am:
Happy to hear you took the plunge. Now, you know that you will be asked to post pictures, don't you?

IMR4350 seems to be a common denominator when it comes to recipes. What type of shooting are you planning on? Strictly target, or some hunting, also? You will be advised to have the gun checked out by a competent smithy.

So......how about some pictures? Smiley

I tried posting pics-kept getting an error the file was too big.

I was hoping to use IMR 4895 or Varget ...I load for several other Mil-surp and want to kept things simple.

Just plan on shooting it local “100 year old” matches - most are shot at 200yds

I would like to change the eye piece on the rear sight with one that has the notch and flip up peep modified.

IP Logged

Griff557
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 12:25am
Print Post  
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

I’ll post more later if the link works
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2019 at 5:00pm by Griff557 »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Congratulations, Griff, on your first Krag purchase. We'll help you spend your hard earned savings on more Krag stuff from this point out, I'm sure!

I would also like to see pictures. Sounds like a nice later Krag rifle.

Check out the ammunition and reloading posts. We have had many, many posts about our favorite loads for this wonderful historic rifle. You won't be disappointed with your research of KCA forum sections.

If you post pictures, we'll be sure to pick a part your Krag detail by detail. That's part of the fun in collecting and learning about Krags- they are very complicated in their short military history. That's how I learned the most about collecting is by other experts helping me learn to pay attention to the details. Others will help you see what you didn't on first, second or third examinations.

Thanks for sharing and we'll wait to see some nice photos of your new rifle.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 2:16am
Print Post  
IMR4895 is another common powder for the 30-40 cartridge. I use Varget in a lot of my other cartridges, so I imagine you can find some good recipes using it in loading manuals. Hodgdon has a good website (you may already know this) for all of the above powders. If you are looking for accuracy, you may enjoy trying your favorite powders. Looks like you have that little peep sight on your rifle. It is touted as small, but for target practice/accuracy you may have fun trying to use it as intended a century ago.

I viewed your pictures on the posted website. It is always nice have a clear cartouche. Now, you only whetted our appetite for seeing more of your rifle (full length, etc.)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 3:48am
Print Post  
Griff557 - Welcome to the KCA Forum. From what I see on your "Big" pictures, your model 1898 Krag appears quite nice.

BTW - Lots of powder options open up, if you use 180 grain RN projectiles.

In regard to your rear-sight, you would be well off to buy a loose 1902 leaf, slide, and eye-piece to install on your base.

If you try to take the windage-knob off of your nice original sight, to switch the eye-piece, you will likely damage the parts.

A very fine pin holds the knob in place on the windage-screw. It was not intended to be taken apart.

I have a spare 1902 leaf/slide/eye-piece assembly. It's "V" notch has been altered. It is a good candidate for 'tinkering'.

PM me if your interested.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2019 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Griff557 wrote on Oct 14th, 2019 at 12:22am:
[quote author=55706B6A7B1E0 link=1571009527/1#1 date=1571011831]
I tried posting pics-kept getting an error the file was too big.

I was hoping to use IMR 4895 or Varget ...I load for several other Mil-surp and want to kept things simple.

Just plan on shooting it local “100 year old” matches - most are shot at 200yds

I would like to change the eye piece on the rear sight with one that has the notch and flip up peep modified.

I have no knowledge on the 4895, but Varget is a very good match for 35/40s with a 200 grain slug. I do not think it would be a good match for the regular 30 caliber unless using 150 grain or less bullets. The lighter bullets probably will not feed well nor have good accuracy in a Krag, probably why it is not used much.
We all have our favorite way of reducing photo sizes. Mine is to right click on the photo and open it in paintbrush. One there it has a reduce size function. Save the photo with a different name so the original is not damaged. Check the saved photo for size, if it is not small enough delete it and try again on the original with a smaller percentage reduction.

IP Logged

Griff557
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 1:30am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Oct 14th, 2019 at 3:48am:
Griff557 - Welcome to the KCA Forum. From what I see on your "Big" pictures, your model 1898 Krag appears quite nice.

BTW - Lots of powder options open up, if you use 180 grain RN projectiles.

In regard to your rear-sight, you would be well off to buy a loose 1902 leaf, slide, and eye-piece to install on your base.

If you try to take the windage-knob off of your nice original sight, to switch the eye-piece, you will likely damage the parts.

A very fine pin holds the knob in place on the windage-screw. It was not intended to be taken apart.

I have a spare 1902 leaf/slide/eye-piece assembly. It's "V" notch has been altered. It is a good candidate for 'tinkering'.

PM me if your interested.

I think I have a line on a complete leaf/eye piece... can I change the leaf without taking the sight off the rifle or removing the handgaurd? Or am I asking for trouble.

Is there a source for a wider front sight?

It’s hunting season here so I’ve been running my tail off I’ll get pics as soon as I can get some time-I would like to get to range as well I have a couple boxes of Hornady factory ammo to get started

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint