Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
New Krag w/pics (Read 1388 times)
Griff557
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New Krag w/pics
Oct 18th, 2019 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Hopefully the link works....So I bought one of the Yankee Artifacts Krags. I would guess you all have heard the story they were in a government arsenal for the last 100yrs...I don’t know about that but I bought the rifle-not the story.

The M.E. Is less than “1” and the bore is bright and shiny hopefully it’ll be a good shooter. I plan on using for local 100 year old rifle matches shot at 200 yds.

I have an extra complete 1902 rear leaf/eye piece I would like to change out so I can keep the original and modify the rear sight notch....can I change the leaf without taking the sight or handgaurd off the rifle?

I plan on reloading but for the time being I have a couple boxes of Hornady factory ammo. I haven’t gotten a chance to go the range yet.

Any observations or words of advice would be great

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New Krag w/pics
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Griff, welcome again to the KCA. The one picture I see at your link looks like a nice rifle but we'd need to see more to give it a thorough evaluation. I saw those rifles for sale and don't believe the story either. It's sort of like a coin dealer selling a bag of wheat back pennies that are "unsearched". Sure.

But, you're right-you buy the gun, not the story. You probably have a great shooting rifle.

You can easily take the rear sight off the rifle without removing the hand guard by removing the two screws and lifting it off. It's easier to change the slide with the sight off the rifle first. If you have problems, let us know.

More pictures would be nice and show us the slide also.

Congrats on your new purchase!

IP Logged

Griff557
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Maybe this link will open the album?

I was most concerned with breaking the sight screws off trying to remove them

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Yes, I see the pictures now. Very nice rifle you have purchased. You should enjoy this Krag for years to come. One to be proud to own and pass down to the kids.

There should be no problem removing your sight screws. Very rarely are they rusted shut so tight that they are difficult to remove. The condition of your Krag rifle is good enough that I would think they should be easy to remove.

Make sure you have a proper fitting screwdriver that has nice sharp edges to the blade. Clean out your screw head slots if they are dirty to get a good "purchase" or good bite to the slot. Turn slowly and they should be easy to remove. You don't want to do what thousands have done before you and force a dull screwdriver into the slot and turn quickly and bugger up the screw.

If it is tight, drip some thin penetrating oil on the screw head and threads and let it sit overnight. Should be fine.

Also, some of us have carefully drilled out the M1902 rear sight peep hole to enlargen it enough to be able to easier see through it. That is an easy thing to do that can give you a better sight without having to change the slide. There are options. Your approach is one way to do it. Some of us like the M1901 rear sight better and find it easier to see through for longer distance shooting.

IP Logged

Griff557
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info. I had read about the sight before buying the rifle and it seemed guys thought the 1902 was a easier to use. I’ve made a new peep that is about .080” if that doesn’t work I have an extra 02 peep I could drill out I would like to make the notch wider which is why I wanted to change the sight. I’ve read about guys making a wider front sight as well but we’ll see how it goes with the original. Like a lot older guys my vision isn’t what it used to be di have no problems with distance but use reading glasses...it’s a bitch getting old

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
The most safe way to work on a Krag rear-sight is to remove the sight from the rifle.

'Whig' has advised you appropriately. With proper screw-driver fit and adequate pressure to keep the bit in the screw-slot, there should be no harm.

Your front screw appears to be a replacement. It is sitting 'high' and has a bevel on the head. It may be a reproduction. It is likely a model-1896 (sight) front-screw, some of which have a high head.

Both screws, for the model 1902 sight, are identical and should sit flush.

It is not unusual for Krags to sometimes have a wrong sight-screw. (Replaced in field or by WW1 period Armorer)?

Attached photos to assist you:
1. Your high screw-head.
2. Correct 1902 screw appearance.
3. A variation of the 1902 sight with attaching screws, dismounted.
4. A Krag 1902 sight taken apart to replace a broken knob.
5. A model 1901 base held safely in a vise to aid reassembly. (A 1902 base and leaf can be held similarly, to compress spring, and aid pin removal and replacement).

IP Logged

Griff557
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
My front sight screw is sitting high...where can I get a correct one?

The extra 1902 leaf I have is like the one in your photo with the 25yd marks on the leaf

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
Original sight screws occasionally show up on ebay.

Some vendors listed in the KCA Classifieds may be able to supply a correct screw.

S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y., has decent reproduction Krag sight-screws. Their catalog is view-able online.

Be patient, this is not urgent. Few people will know. You will eventually find a correct one or set.

Hints - Use your 'worst' sight-screw in the rear sight-base hole, where it is out of sight.

A set of reproduction screws or 'burred-up' spares are handy to have, if you are going to be switching sights occasionally.

BTW - Krag sight mounting screws measure .156"X 30 t.p.i. You won't find these at ACO or most Gun Shops.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2019 at 12:56am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint