Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 IMR 4350 (Read 3710 times)
carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

IMR 4350
Oct 20th, 2019 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
I did a post recently and I said I used IMR 4350 because it has lower pressure with the same velocity but I was wrong It took me a wile to figure out what I used when I was shooting  my 1904 Mauser it was H380 that is the one that has low pressure and still a good velocity ... I like IMR4064 when I shoot 30-40 although H380 turned out to be very accurate ... It took me a wile to figure out why I loaded 8MM with IMR4350 and I remembered Its because my 8MM has a 16 1/2 inch barrel and IMR4350 being the slowest burning of all the IMR powers it gives the nicest fireball when you shoot it and looks very impressive at the firing range ...      
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2019 at 1:44am by Ned Butts »  

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: IMR 4350
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
There is nothing wrong with fire balls out of a rifle or shotgun (don't fire a three inch shell in a two and a half inch shotgun.  Don't ask me how I know).  Fireballs scares the b'jeezus out of adults  Angry, puts smiles on kids faces  Cheesy, and lets you know you're still alive!  Grin

Now where did I put that tannerite... Roll Eyes

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
In poor light the fireball sure blinds the shooter!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
I have to digress... fireballs do nothing for accuracy and simply highlight the fact that you have unburnt powder exiting the barrel.  While that may impress some kiddies, as Chuck said, it can temporarily dazzle (blind) the shooter, and serves no practical purpose.  I prefer to worry more about my accuracy (as I'm usually practicing for a match) and less about impressing others.

I use 40 grains of IMR-4350 with the 220 gr bullet for my Krag, and it's definitely the dirtiest of powders.  I've been shooting this tried and true load for more than a decade.  However, my plan over the winter is to develop a load with the 220 gr RN and H4895, which should burn cleaner, and more complete.  If my accuracy suffers (remember, not all Krags like the same food), then I'll go back to my tried and true load!

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 4:29am
Print Post  
It's probably worthwhile to distinguish between "dirty" and "incompletely burned".  All the IMR rifle powders are pretty much the same composition and, if burned completely, leave the same (minimal) residue. Your 4350 load may look "dirty" when what's really left behind is unburnt powder.

If QuickLOAD estimates are believed, 4350 gives only about a 92% burn with that load, while 4895 would give 100% to reach the same velocity at safe pressure.

(Edit: "Predicted data" removed to preclude mistaking for "tested data")
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2019 at 11:46pm by Parashooter »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
The fact that it's incompletely burned powder is no question.  In fact, when shooting over concrete (as we do at Kalamazoo), you can see the powder spray over the concrete when shooting prone.  When I refer to "Dirty", I'm really referring to the garbage left in the barrel (black sooty gunk) which takes about twice as much cleaning as my 1903 takes with the H4895 loads I shoot in her!  The unburned power is the real reason I'm planning on switching.  I feel that a 100% burn can only contribute to accuracy... and I really want to improve on that for next years matches.

By the way, thanks for posting the data, which helps to illustrate to everyone the advantages or disadvantages of one powder over another!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Pet Peeve: The OP posted five loading manual pages. Only two pages show the actual cartridge identity.

IMHO - This is mighty dangerous practice, when giving data for multiple cartridges.

Maybe the unidentified loads should be taken down or replaced with the full page?

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Really I did not consider using H380 for a Krag load ... I turned out to be very accurate my be consider trying H380 ... When I loaded IMR 4350 it turned out to be a compressed power load it is the first time I have used a compressed load .. I dont know if thats good or bad ...

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
I really like Varget power I noticed there is a load for Varget ... It is a very consistent even burning power and very accurate ... It mite prove to be a good accuracy load also ...

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
well your right IMR 4050 is the most accurate I turned to the ultimate source of knowledge for reloading the Lyman reloading manual and the Ideal reloading manual ...

IP Logged

carbon outlaw
KCA Forum Member

carbon outlaw

Reply #10 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
and

IP Logged

Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
I too have been interested in trying H 4350 in my Krag. However, in my 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, H4350 shoots exceptionally, IMR 4350 does not.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2019 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
I use my Hornady 9th and 10th editions as my bibles.  I have the Lyman manuals too, but I take them with a grain of salt.  When comparing the Lyman manual to Hornady, Speer, Nosler and some other data, the Lyman data can vary quite a lot, and sometimes, their listed data is much higher than the others.  FWIW, I use Lyman data for cast bullets as gospel, and the Hornady, Nosler and Speer data for jacketed.

I imagine that IMR-4350 with such a large load (compressed no less) with a 110 grain bullet would leave a huge amount of unburned powder exiting the barrel.  Seems a little wasteful.  I would think a faster powder, one that burns completely before the bullet exits the muzzle would be more practical provided you remain under 40,000 CUP.

BTW, IMR-4831 is slower than IMR-4350... however there are some fairly accurate data for 4831.  Hodgdon H4831SC is comparable in burn rate... and because it's a "Short Cut" powder, it meter's very well.  There are even slower burning IMR powders (IMR-7828 and IMR-7828SSC) but I think they're way to slow to be effective in a Krag.

IP Logged

Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
I agree with your Lyman book statement, their loads appear to be pretty hot, higher than five other reloading manuals. Your suggested 220 grain bullet load serves me well. It has produced several 1 3/4 inch groups at 300 yards , with that accuracy from a 118 year old rifle, I have not been in a hurry to experiment with other loads.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
It's served me well too... for more than 10 years now!  I can produce some nice tight groups at 200 yards (the rifle shoots better than I can, LOL).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint