Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Fake Proof Stamp (Read 1566 times)
Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Fake Proof Stamp
Oct 25th, 2019 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
There's a M1899 Krag carbine on Gun Broker that has this re-arsenal-style faked proof stamp. Someone was obviously trying to make this stock look more authentic.

Just thought I'd share it for people to be aware of. I haven't seen a faked proof stamp before. There is no cartouche, of course. The carbine looks good overall with an authentic M1901 carbine rear sight. Don't know where the stock came from, though. The finger grooves are quite worn so I think it has just been sanded down a lot and someone wanted to re-strike the proof mark and didn't do a good job.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Fake Proof Stamp
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2019 at 7:12am
Print Post  
'Whig' - I would not be quick to call those stock markings "fake".

I have seen that plain (non-script) "P", before. It sometimes shows up on Krags with multiple 'circled P' stamps.

I suspect it came into use after 1903 and before 1917. A similar stamp was put on 1903 Springfield rifles. It may be legit for Krags rebuilt late, but, in the pre-WW1 era.

The Seller is the famous 'Gray Blanket' who is legendary for his rare gunbroker items, that bring very high bids.

(In all fairness, He does have a high rating and many satisfied customers).

Attached: 1., 2. & 3. Side image and Comb image of Gray Blanket's "P" marked carbine stock. (Note butt-plate is also marked - NJ).

4. Same style of plain Circled "P" on a stock image I saved years ago.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2019 at 1:50pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2019 at 7:19am
Print Post  
My 70210 (which I bought from Bob Hill) is pictured in Mallory - and has the large block (P), so I'm not sure the gunbroker example is bogus. If I were worried about anything it would be the lack of concentricity.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2019 at 7:25am
Print Post  
IMHO - I believe it is a stamp on top of a stamp.

Two stamps are not aligned, so, 'ghost image' makes concentric position look worse than it really is.

There's funky stuff appearing on some Krag stocks after 1903-04.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2019 at 2:29pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2019 at 9:35am
Print Post  
I have seen the plain font "P" before but I have never seen the "P" stamped off center like this one. I would think an arsenal re-strike of a stock proof mark would be concentric. This just looked sloppy like someone tried to do it themselves.

Not a big deal but I wouldn't expect Springfield Armory to be sloppy.. The "NJ" on the butt plate I have seen before but that probably was legit. The "P" was struck once and the circle was struck twice, it appears.

I'm giving credit to armory re-strikes of stocks to being neater. It's great to get feedback. Thanks. It really doesn't detract from the validity of the carbine overall. Stocks can go through a different history than the rest of the Krag. I appreciate the history of the seller and his reputation. I didn't know that. I'd buy this for the right price!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2019 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
By past observation, that Seller will likely have a rush of bidding, at the last moment, and that carbine will go for a high price .... but, now I gossip, so I'll stop.

My point, besides the one on top my head, is that there are some official Krag stock markings that occur between 1904 and 1918, which seem lax and not adequately explained.

Oh, to find the "Rosetta Stone"!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2019 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
I think you're right that it will get bid up right before it ends. We'll have to watch and see. I'm always intrigued by small observations like this stamping and have learn from a lot of KCA members to watch the small details.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint