Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 That is alot of acreage (Read 3192 times)
Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

That is alot of acreage
Nov 1st, 2019 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
When you only have two digits stamped on the receiver in addition to being a smaller font size.

The barrel still has some rifling in it but I don't think it will be a barn burner at Camp Perry.  Which by the way the lowest number on the line has just dropped by forty-one.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: That is alot of acreage
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Love M1894 Krags! That's a low SN. Is this a new addition to your arsenal? Can you show more pics including full length?

I'm still looking for one with a full length enclosed front barrel band.

Thanks for sharing this early Krag.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Yep, it sure is.  I'm still shooting to get serial number one in the stable.

Sadly I report the stock had been cut down and the front band gone in the ether but I can slap 112's stock on it and bring it to the line.
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2019 at 6:52pm by Culpeper »  

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Culp, I believe there would be nothing illegitimate about re-barreling this to make it Match worthy.  Also, talk to Richard Ling (on Facebook) about repairing the stock, as he seems to be a master at it.  (Richard is all about bringing cut-down and stripped Krags back to life in all their full military glory.  He fakes nothing, and is open and honest about everything!)

Even if you wanted to shoot it and the barrel is worn beyond accuracy... shoot some oversize cast bullets and see how she does.  She may be the lowest number on the line at Perry, but she doesn't have to bring in the lowest score!

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Wow! Original barrel with flat muzzle, M1894 bolt, matching parts, and original stock with ram rod channel still visible at the cut end. Quite a Krag. Is the butt plate the original flat one with the butt stock still uncut?

I'd keep it the way it is and buy what ever else you want for shooting. That's an unusual find.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Whig wrote on Nov 1st, 2019 at 4:13pm:
Wow! Original barrel with flat muzzle, M1894 bolt, matching parts, and original stock with ram rod channel still visible at the cut end. Quite a Krag. Is the butt plate the original flat one with the butt stock still uncut?

I'd keep it the way it is and buy what ever else you want for shooting. That's an unusual find.

As far as I can tell the butt plate is the original.  I looks like my other two.

I have thought about it and have decided to cut the barrel back and make a carbine out of it since the stock has been cut already.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Can you remove that barrel? I would consider trading you an already cut down barrel with an existing front sight for your M1894 barrel. Might be nice to have for a future project. I have a couple cut downs still with receivers you could pick from.

(I also have a couple carbine stocks that could work. One is altered but very nice. Both have the carbine nose and spring.)

Just thought I'd ask!

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Come on now!  This is me.  Remember? Shocked  The practical and impractical joker of the group.  Blow the whistle and throw the red flag and call BS (Barbara Streisand) on it. Grin

There is no way I would ever cut down a rifle like this.   Smiley Cheesy

Thought Steinmayer would be the first to jump me about it.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
You have restored some small level of respect. I hope someone would reconsider cutting something like this!

I have seen worse. Good for you! I took the bait to save others the embarrassment...

IP Logged

Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2019 at 1:09am
Print Post  
Culpepper,

This is great!!!   Be sure to add it to the serial number list!!

Tom

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2019 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Culpeper wrote on Nov 1st, 2019 at 7:24pm:
Thought Steinmayer would be the first to jump me about it.

There are so many things I need to jump on you about... I don't know where to begin!  And if you blow me off about Perry again this year, I swear, I'm gonna fly to wherever you are and beat the schnitzel out of ya!!!   Cheesy

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #11 - Nov 2nd, 2019 at 8:22pm
Print Post  

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Nov 3rd, 2019 at 12:52am
Print Post  
wow, I can say I am truly jealous and I'm happy for you. My son and I have stretched out about 12 or 13 Krag Stocks. Seven of them still reside with me.

Do you have Joe's book?

How did you come by this? did it cost a lot?

I'm all ears.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #13 - Nov 3rd, 2019 at 2:05am
Print Post  
Picked it up from John Spangler at Oldguns.net.  Great Guy.  He is getting out of the business and selling off his stuff.  Here was his write up.  I just couln't pass this one up even though the bolt's parts are not early stuff.  It was in the 500 range.

Yep I have Joe Farmer's book.

We may need to talk about the stock stretching.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #14 - Nov 3rd, 2019 at 2:06am
Print Post  
**NEW ADDITION** 10103 RARE U.S. MODEL 1892 30-40 KRAG RIFLE- SERIAL NUMBER 71- (RESTORATION PROJECT) - Serial number 71, probably made in the first week of production in 1894. Model 1892 Krag rifles did not actually begin production until 1894, due to delays caused by complaints about adoption of a “foreign” instead of domestic invention. Only about 24,562 Model 1892 rifles were made, before switching to the Model 1896. In 1900 Springfield Armory recalled all of the M1892s still in service and updated them to Model 1896 configuration. Some 18,559 are documented as being converted, but as Mallory notes in his book “…evidently many of these unconverted rifles were lost or destroyed in service or were scrapped, because unaltered Model 1892 rifles are extremely scarce.” The consensus among advanced collectors is that they are about as scarce as Gas Trap Garands, or M1903 Rod Bayonet rifles or Pedersen devices, with no more than an estimated 50 to 100 examples surviving in, or restored to, original configuration. The Model 1892 is easily recognizable by the full length cleaning rod mounted under the barrel; the upper band having a small guide for the rod; the flat no-trap buttplate, not curved at the toe; the short handguard leaving the receiver ring exposed; the flat, uncrowned muzzle; the lack of a hold open pin on the extractor or the corresponding notch on the receiver; and the back of the cocking piece being box shaped instead of tapered. This example is mostly correct with the exception of the cut off forend, missing upper band and cleaning rod. The bolt body is the correct early type, but not numbered to the gun. The cocking piece has the later beveled edge and the extractor is a later one modified to look like the early type. Correct M1894 sight installed although one of the screws is not exactly right. Barrel retains the flat muzzle crown. Bore shows wear near the breech but stronger rifling as you get to the muzzle, but it is rough and rusted. This has the mat

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint