Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Oh crap! It's time to move to Arizona. (Read 2060 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Oh crap! It's time to move to Arizona.
Nov 3rd, 2019 at 5:05am
Print Post  
I wish more states would follow Arizona's lead and refuse to play this government foolishness.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Oh crap! It's time to move to Arizona.
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2019 at 6:30am
Print Post  
I wish they'd make DST universal, who doesn't want more light at night after your work is done? Mornings are sh*t/shower/shave/go to work; what difference if it's light or dark?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2019 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
It's the "changing", I hate. It will mess with my metabolism for the next six weeks.
It makes me moody, when overnight, it is dark at 5:15pm.

Officially, the Government should pick one or the other and stay with it.

IMHO - Spring Forward and Fall Back one hour is just goofy and accomplishes nothing useful .... and it gets continued by Inertia.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2019 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
I'm with Dick Light at the end of the day is much more useful!! Change it and leave it alone!!!!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Heard a discussion on sleep deprivation this weekend and the spring forward time change was noted to have a 30% spike in heart attacks and other maladies.

The number of children getting hit run over at school bus stops is also an issue. Candy manufacturers pushed real hard to get the fall back date to include Halloween so they could sell more candy.

The length of daylight changes fastest at the 2 solstices about 3 minutes a day, unlike the abrupt 1 hour change of DST.

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
" Candy manufacturers pushed real hard to get the fall back date to include Halloween so they could sell more candy."

Actually, us parents pushed pretty hard to get the date extended to avoid the new, earlier darkened conditions so the kids would be safer without both them and the  motorists being forced to adjust to the new dark.  We were in favor of it then and still are.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
It is a tough one when you have to compare the numbers of kids lost in the city to the numbers of kids lost in the country waiting for the school bus.
For the 10 or 20 years the candy manufacturers were pushing for the change it was feared the deaths would increase. I am not sure what the reality has been over the last couple of years.
I do know pedestrian deaths have gone up with the increased use of projector headlights. Regular projector lamps are bad enough at blinding oncoming traffic besides not illuminating as well. So people go out and buy the ultra (bluish white or blue) bulbs that have the point of aim shifted higher. Most of the end users do not have a Torx screw driver to adjust them down, so they just use them as is thinking they can see better. 
Here it is almost a daily occurrence that a pedestrian is run over and killed, when reported on the news, the driver did not see them and was not charged. Happened to a friend, she heard a thump while driving at night, her husband told her to turn around and find out what it was. The man had been hit by at least 2 other cars that did not stop.

IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 1:08am
Print Post  
I wasn't talking so much about deaths.  I was talking about the disappointment for kids who are confused, frightened and just plain unhappy?  It's not fun to try to describe to a crying child why no one could see his costume that his mother had made or he couldn't go to a particular house that was too far to go in the dark, or why their halloween was not what they expected? Maybe they didn't get hit by every driver, but a lot of them had 'close calls' because, well, it's dark and they are with a group and they haven't been reminded of what reduced visibility can cause and Mom and Dad can only do so much because they're out of practice, too.

Halloween was supposed to be a fun time for the kids.  The fun was the casualty - not the statistics.  It's not always easy to be a kid - or a grandpa.  Give'em a brake, there's not a lot of fun going on right now.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Decided that last post may have been a little dark in what started out as a humorous thread
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2019 at 2:58pm by FredC »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint