Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Oh, Bubba, Bubba, Let Me Count The Ways... (Read 992 times)
Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Oh, Bubba, Bubba, Let Me Count The Ways...
Nov 5th, 2019 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
I found this Krag rifle for sale on Guns International and am amazed at the item description and what examination of the pictures really shows.

Gosh, I'll list some of the problems I see. Did I miss any?

Items description has Krag mis-spelled numerous times as "Kraig". Not just a one time spelling error.

Listed as a M1896 rifle manufactured in 1895 with SN 5305. If you look at the receiver, there are two tapped holes drilled with screws in them, one which apparently hides the initial part of the serial number. It's obviously not 5305.

The seller says it is not an antique but a C&R because of its caliber. That BATFE designates a Krag as "antique" based on its date of manufacture such that any Krag made before January 1 1899 is an antique and does not need to be registered or transferred through an FFL dealer. Since the receiver appears to be marked Model 1896, it was definitely made prior to 1899 regardless of not being able to see the full serial number and can be classified as an antique. The highest M1896 Krag SN is around 109232, if I remember correctly, and these were all made before 1899.

I'm not sure what "period appropriate one piece stock" is supposed to mean but this is not a proper Krag stock and Krag stocks were all two piece with the main stock and hand guard. Every part of this interesting sporterized stock is not Krag material, nor is the hardware attached appropriate.

The bolt is a M1892 bolt with M1896 conversions to it.

I don't know anything about peep sights to judge this one. Looks like a nice one though.

The most amazing thing, though, is that the price, either $1,845 or the apparently reduced price of $1,435, seems to have been paid since this sporterized Krag is listed as sold.

Someone must have been taken by the beautiful item description for this unique "Kraig"!

I'm sure I missed some interesting details but I thought I'd share this with KCA members. You never know what you're going to find out there.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Oh, Bubba, Bubba, Let Me Count The Ways...
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
I'm sure we'll see someone pop up here asking for information on the "Find of a lifetime!" 

It's really sad that some unscrupulous people still try to "take" others by misrepresentation and deceit.  Now I'm not saying the guy selling purposely misrepresented the Krag... he simply may not have known anything about it at all (spelling it Kraig is a good indication he didn't).  However, selling it for the ridiculous price of even $1,435 is a good indication that someone is trying to get the most buck for his sporterized bang... and therein the scruples lie!

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Getting past the salesman hype the gunsmith's work looks pretty good, some of the custom Krags by renowned gunsmiths in 30s bring a premium today. Anything special about this Gilman guy?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
I agree that it looks like a relatively nice sporterized Krag, it is just over priced and described horribly. Aren't sporterized Krags generally selling for around $400 unless highly unusual?

I have never heard of this gunsmith before either.

IP Logged

leadhead
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
It says it's sold...and with $100 shipping to boot.
Denny

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint