Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Working with some parts (Read 2917 times)
Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Working with some parts
Nov 5th, 2019 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Found a 1896 receiver and an old stock that had been cut down pretty short
(You need to Login to view media files and links)
Made up a spacer that could be in-letted in to cover up the gap and make a decent transition.
Fitting a later side cover to fit the earlier action body (the juice is not worth the squeeze here but it will work)
Roughing in a 96 style bolt root well into a 98 stock while making sure the bedding for the whole receiver is good. I found out that by not chiseling to aggressively here you can add another contact point. There's more than one surface here that needs to be worked down together to get good fit. Kind of like the side cover but a whole lot easier because it's wood. Ill clean it up later for appearance.
Stripping g-96 or Linspeed oil from the old stock. This was a pain in the butt but it all came off without sandpaper
Throwing a little stain on prior to completely scraping with a razor blade and creating a contrast for a beginners easy to lay out checkering job complete with notebook paper template
One of the grip panels semi finished. Ill follow up with a checkering file to deepen the diamonds and then remove over runs around the border with a scraper. Im trying to follow the long leading edge of the stock and then added a diamond to the area at the top of the wrist.
Out of room please see next post if you would like the follow up

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Working with some parts
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 12:12am
Print Post  
So what I did was found some donor wood from a chopped p-14 stock and formed it into a sort of for-end tip/extension. Then,I had to fix the extension to the short stock to get some decent lines all the while utilizing a rifle band that I could pull on with a sling. If the stock was longer I would have made an internal band with escutcheon that would accept a 1/14 sling swivel but this will work and help to blend everything together when I'm done. The rifle band had to be so far rearward towards the grasping grooves I was limited to what I could make work while still maintaining appearance.

I got some rigging and acra gel out,
Glued it on and then clamped it until everything was stable. What else is in there is a steel support rod glassed in between the mortises of both the Krag and P-14 stock for strength.

Trying for a clean black line that will be hard to see way up front.
Roughed in but getting there so I can begin to refinish the metal, screw the barrel on and test function. I will scrape and file then use a little sand cloth with a flat and round wood block to remove any tool marks left over from the wood work. Probably will also wind up cutting notches on either side of the stock comb as well.
Hopefully Ill wind up with a decent rifle while re-purposing some parts that will continue to carry on as a functioning sported rifle.

Extra pic.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Looks like you are on the way to having a nice sporter there.

I am not used to seeing threads exposed as on photo #3. Is the barrel not screwed all the way in or is something else going on there?

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Yes that's correct, barrel is only screwed in hand tight. It just makes it a little easier to fit everything together with everything broke down+ its just a bunch of parts that are being put together into something usable.

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Nicely done! Are you going to use iron sights or a scope?  It has the looks of a nice lightweight stalking rifle. Thanks for sharing.

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2019 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Itll have a banded Redfield front ramp and a peep sight. Thats what I'm going to use it for close range deer hunting in the woods.

I built another from parts not too awful long ago that has a scope on it for in the field.
After I get the parts polished out this is how I blue the metal. This is second coat. Boiling water and a metal finish that's like black phosphating. Other parts I do on the stove, boil some water with washing soda, pick out with wire and then clean water boil and swab on the finish once the water evaporates.
Clear water and then baking soda neutralizes the acids in the chemical or it will continue to oxidize.

No original rifles were harmed with these home work shop projects, just trying to get them shooting again.

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 1:14am
Print Post  

Almost done, I have to make a stem for where the cut off is missing, point the checkering up and oil the stock some.

Also have to run across a sling swivel. I had to use a milled one from a No4 rifle which actually works pretty well because the stock is a touch wider that far back from where it (the band) usually rests. Theirs no left/right play in it when its tightened down so I'll probably just leave it.
Hopefully it'll be a decent shooter/deer gun.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Nice looking 'Hunting Krag' Doco!

Project guns from salvaged parts are fun.

IP Logged

TexTenn59
KCA Forum Member

Krag Collector!

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 3:28am
Print Post  
Nice work.  Interested in report on how it shoots.

IP Logged

Kooler
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Very cool,I like the shnable  (?) tip on the forestock!  What did you use for the bluing? Thanks,Kooler.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 2:26am
Print Post  
schnabel

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2019 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Thanks for the positive comments. I used Mark Lee express blue for the metal finish. Its easy to use and can be applied without an overly elaborate set up.

I tried to mimic the pommel of an early US bayonet for the piece of wood that was added on. The band just barely makes it over it during assembly.

I'm going to get it to the range very shortly to see how it does.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2019 at 6:05pm by Doco Overboard »  

IP Logged

Doco Overboard
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2019 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Had it out today for a few test shots. Shoots like a dream with my hand loaded ammo.
Two rounds were a little sticky while feeding from the magazine. I had to tilt the box open slightly to get them straightened out but accuracy was way better than expected.

Once bore sighting was done the first three rounds landed into a 1" grid on the sighting target from a rest. I stretched it out to 100 with another 3 shots that opened up maybe to 3-4 times that amount after making some crude sight adjustments.

I"m using 180 g spitzer bullets and 4064 powder. I was working with another firearm at the same time and trying to beat some weather but was happy to observe no brass abnormalities, good ejection and a nice even powder print around the muzzle.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Nov 23rd, 2019 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Has to be a good feeling after all the work to have a fine shootin gun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint