Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
All I want for Christmas is ..... (Read 1091 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

All I want for Christmas is .....
Nov 9th, 2019 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
A Hotchkiss Mountain Gun!

International Military Antiques (IMA) has one available today, for $31,995.00, with Free Shipping, in case anyone wants to give me a nice surprise!

They have some mighty nice detailed pictures on their site.

Although, the video of a guy firing a blank is pretty lame ...with a cough and a wheeze and a thank you please ...

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: All I want for Christmas is .....
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
It looks to be a 'Parts Gun' with a 'Hotchkiss of Paris' Barrel and a U.S. 'Bridgeport' made carriage, but, I like it anyways and would be glad to have it in my collection!

It is worth visiting the IMA site to look at the detailed photos. Their graphics would make the basis of a great pamphlet or manual on the Hotchkiss Mountain Gun.

« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2019 at 4:06pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 2:09am
Print Post  
O.K. So I am going to put my intelligence on the line and say something that may be obvious. But the horse displaying the cannon is fake...right? I mean...like the tail...it just doesn't look right and the horse seems to be a able to "strike a pose" and hold it. And it looks like some loose grass strewn about its feet to possibly hide some support for the whole giddy-up.

Check out this Rock Island Arsenal horse "mannequin". You will have to scroll down some.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 3:27am
Print Post  
'Knute' - You are observant and correct.

The photo of two "horses", (more likely mules), I take to be of statues.
The artillery carriage, wheels, barrel, and ammo chests may also be part of the 'sculpture'.

I would like to know more about the source, location, and 'back story' on the photo of the two equine display pieces.
I don't believe they are related to the Rock Island Arsenal Horse Mannequin. ("Horse Mannequin", now there's a contradiction in terms).

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 3:39am
Print Post  
The ears have it......I believe they are mules now looking at it. I also believe it is the same sculpted mule, but dressed differently for the two photo ops to display how the gun and carriage was carried. Maybe a promo of sorts.

I agree that these (this) mannequin is not the same type as that shown at Rock Island Arsenal. The one at the arsenal is likely made of wire and plaster covered with a real horse hide. The sculpture in your picture is likely made of one homogenous material as the tail does not appear to be real hair. The base may be of the same type as show at R.I.A.
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2019 at 11:39am by Knute1 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint