Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 25 New member (Read 4420 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New member
Reply #15 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 7:18am
Print Post  
Bayonets kind of show up. Just be patient.

The .30-40 cartridge is a re-loader's dream. It pays to back off the Full Length Sizing Die, one turn, and just "Neck Size" your Brass.

Have Fun!

p.s. - I write and do some fine motor skills left-handed. I am left-eye dominant, but, do all sports and shoot right-handed. Go Figure?

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Ok Cuzzin Mike...   Here's the deal:  Next summer, you should plan on joining us at Camp Perry for the Theodore Roosevelt Commemorative Match.  Only Krags and early 1903s (no low numbers) are allowed... and the more Krags we have on the line, the more nervous the 03 shooters will be!  Krags must be in "As Issued" condition, and it looks like yours qualifies.  So, you should plan on shooting with us! 

All in agreement, say Aye!

IP Logged

Cuzzin Mike
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Nov 19th, 2019 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer,

That sounds like fun, guess I can't bring my M1917? I think it's more accurate. I always thought that would be fun to shoot there, but I imagined it would be with one of my M1 Garands.
Whats the distance, 500 yards and the date?

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 1:38am
Print Post  
I am left handed as well, shoot left naturally shoot right handed a lot now because of the floaters in my left eye.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #19 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 2:37am
Print Post  
Cuzzin Mike wrote on Nov 19th, 2019 at 9:15pm:
psteinmayer,

That sounds like fun, guess I can't bring my M1917? I think it's more accurate. I always thought that would be fun to shoot there, but I imagined it would be with one of my M1 Garands.
Whats the distance, 500 yards and the date?

Bring the '17 to the Vintage match.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
You can shoot the 17 in the Vintage Match, the Garand in the John C Garand Match, and if you have a 1903 or 1903A3, shoot that in the Springfield Match.  It's really a great time, and you'll meet some really incredible people!  This coming year will be my 9th consecutive.  The schedule is as follows:

Theodore Roosevelt Commemorative Match - Friday, July 31st.
John C Garand National Garand Rifle Match - Saturday, August 1st.
National Springfield Rifle Match - Saturday (afternoon), August 1st and Sunday (all day), August 2nd.
National Vintage Rifle Match - Saturday (afternoon), August 1st and Sunday (all day), August 2nd.

If you do decided to come... let me know and we'll stay in touch.  I usually have a bunch of shooters squadding with me and my son, and the more-the merrier!  We shoot all four (we have to do two on one day, usually Saturday).  My son and I will also be shooting the Vintage Sniper Match on Monday this year.

Culpeper will be joining us this year too (or I'll ring his neck! LOL).  Madsenshooter always joins the fun too (He's the one who got me into it).
Wish I could get Butlersrangers to come with me, or pry Mark Daiute out of Maine again!

IP Logged

Cuzzin Mike
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer,

It sounds like great fun, I've only shoot in practice matches for Cowboy action (SASS) and to qualify for CMP to get my first Garand. I believe I probably have all the different rifles to compete in the matches you mentioned, not sure if I'm a good enough shot to be competitive.
I'll think about it and start practicing, and of course start talking about it to the wife to get her interested in letting me go.

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Reply #22 - Nov 21st, 2019 at 12:48am
Print Post  
Cuzzin Mike wrote on Nov 20th, 2019 at 11:37pm:
... not sure if I'm a good enough shot to be competitive. ...

Shooooooooot.  Don't worry about that.  The goal is to be there and the joy of shooting.  Practice, yes.  But don't sweat it if you come in dead last.  I know I didn't in 2017.  But I did have the oldest Krag rifle on the line. Wink  And had a boat load of fun doing it.

The focus is you and the gun against the paper.  Everyone else is doing the same thing.

Captain Culpeper
Det 1  KCA Africa Corps
Cheesy

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Nov 21st, 2019 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Culpeper is right. It's about the fun!  Now there ARE some guys who take it WAYYYYYY too seriously, but for most out there, it's about having fun, comradery, and love of shooting these amazing weapons from bygone eras!  Believe me, you will improve over time (you should have seen me my first year... whoa, was I rough)!  You don't even have to worry about having any high-tech gear.  I have extra scopes and shooting mats.

IP Logged

Cuzzin Mike
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #24 - Nov 29th, 2019 at 1:57am
Print Post  
Well thank you again, have to see whats going on then. Have most of the gear needed, may not be top of the line but I get by.
My biggest challenge is my eye's, I start out alright but after awhile my sight starts to blur a little, have to keep blinking and adjusting my glasses. It's hell to get old.

IP Logged

Kerz
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #25 - Nov 30th, 2019 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Mike
That is a great looking 98!
Yelp, Camp Perry matches are a great time. 
Welcome to the forum!
Vic

Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint