Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
What is my Krag worth? (Read 1824 times)
reloadr
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

What is my Krag worth?
Nov 16th, 2019 at 12:33am
Print Post  
I could use some assistance. I am considering selling my 1898 Krag. SN: 163XXX. How much should I expect to sell it for? In very good condition.
Thanks for your advice.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: What is my Krag worth?
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 12:40am
Print Post  
Welcome to KCA! You have come to the right place for information about your Krag.

Right off the bat I would say it might sell for $900. But, I can't see enough to raise or lower that. Does it have any cartouches? How is the bore? I am not sure if part of the receiver has been refinished or not. Does everything work well? Any interesting history attached to the rifle? Any extras like cleaning rods or oiler or bayonet?

Those are some of the factors that would help dictate a better selling price. It could be worth much more.

Your M1898 Krag rifle was made in late 1898 to early 1899 but is wearing a M1902 rear sight. That's ok but is not what it came with originally. Many Krags have had the rear sights changed. It looks like the hand guard, from a different patina, was changed also. Not a big deal.

Look at what similar Krags have sold on Gun Broker over the past few months to get an idea for comparison's sake. That will help.

I also checked the SRS and it is not listed.

It looks very nice overall. I think you can find a buyer if you aren't asking too much. Many nice Krags sit on Gun Broker for months and don't sell because they are too expensive. The factors listed above can make a big difference for a prospective buyer.

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Has the stock been sanded? looks like maybe it has been.

Does it have a good bore?

In my universe it is worth north of 600.

IP Logged

reloadr
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the responses. Since there is no cartouche, I also think that the stock must have been refinished at one time. I have owned it for 30+ years, it has been a safe queen for the last 17 years. I have no other history on the rifle. I have no accessories with it. The bore looks good. Good rifling. Little erosion at the chamber. unknown number of rounds through it.

IP Logged

reloadr
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
I have been asked what year was this Krag manufactured in? Hear are some additional photos showing the rear sight. The rear sight does have the V sight and swing-away peep sight. Any help determining the year of manufacturer will be appreciated.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
That 1902 Rear Sight leaf has the fine serrations... you lucky dog!  Makes fine elevation adjustment easier than the standard leaf, which has only 4 notches between marks.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
'reloadr' - Your Krag, #163421, was assembled around January, 1899.

Your rear-sight is the model 1902 sight, updated with the, so called, "Sgt. Peep" feature.

Like most Krags, your rifle went back to the armory or an arsenal/depot at some point and was updated and refurbished.

Your stock has been heavily 'sanded', since it came into civilian hands.
This is readily evident by the fit of the butt-plate, and the 'rounding' of edges at the stock finger-grooves and bolt-handle recess.

IMHO - This would be a useful Krag for a "Shooter", since its collector appeal is diminished. The value would be around $650 to $700, to the right party. Worn Krags with sanded stocks can be slow 'Sellers'.

IP Logged

reloadr
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the responses. Great information about this Krag.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 12:53am
Print Post  
Being 'close' to serial numbers listed in Springfield Research Services Data means nothing.

In fact, a number being close to documented numbers, but not listed, pretty much guaranties that the rifle had a different service history than the documented guns.

FWIW - Many Dealers and Internet Sellers seem unsure and nervous about the 'antique firearm' 1898 cutoff date.
They insist on treating antique (pre-1898) gun sales the same as modern arms. 
A FFL Holder is used to broker the transaction and document the sale, (on BATF Forms and telephoned FBI authorization).

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Butlers is making an important point that is often lost to a lot of Krag collectors. If the serial number is NOT listed in the SRS, there is no recorded evidence that it was issued to any specific unit or organization. Only the exact listed serial numbers are to be considered documented and legit regardless of how "close" the numbers may be.

There is currently a relatively nice Krag M1896 carbine being sold on Gun Broker where the seller is mis-representing this point by stating the following:

Famously associated with the Teddy Roosevelt's 1st Volunteer Cavalry and the Battle for San Juan Hill in Cuba during the Spanish-American War, this carbine's serial number falls just two digits away from a documented Rough Rider weapon(#27282). A holy grail for Krag collectors, all M-1896 carbines that remain in early configuration are considered scarce, and examples in the Rough Rider Range are rare. A superb find for any student of historic American arms, this unaltered M-1896 carbine in the Rough Riders range would be an excellent addition to any advanced collection.

The carbine serial number for this carbine being sold is not listed in the SRS manuals but is close to some other listed carbines. The bidders appear to be influenced by this close relationship and seller's statement because the price is currently $2,325 which is somewhat high for this carbine, in my experience.

So, be careful in how you might interpret any serial number that is "close" to another listed Krag.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint