Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Most valuable Krag? (Read 1675 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Most valuable Krag?
Nov 23rd, 2019 at 5:47am
Print Post  
IMHO - The U.S. Krag that would bring the highest dollar amount may very well be in circulation and unrecognized.

It is not a Springfield Armory rarity. It was not documented at a great military event. It is not beautiful, "as issued", or in pristine condition.

Actually, its condition is totally irrelevant.
At a gun show, it would likely sell as a 'Bubba' Hunting Rifle for less than $300 or $400.

However, this 'cut-down' rifle or restocked carbine would command a 'crazy money' dollar value because of its brief connection to a very bad human being, (who still commands a kind of 'Cult' interest).

Sad, but true, if the serial number of the Krag, briefly in the possession of Clyde Barrow was known, it would set off quite the 'Treasure Hunt'.

A  Montgomery Wards (Pump-action) shotgun, that was photographed next to this Krag, recently sold at auction for over $68,000.

I have been casually searching on-line looking for Police Documentation of this Krag by evidence number or serial number. No luck so far.

As far as I know, this Krag is not in a museum or known display/collection. It is probably waiting to be found and documented.
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2019 at 6:34am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Most valuable Krag?
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2019 at 6:27am
Print Post  
FWIW - I suspect the 'Barrow Gang' Krag would be in the Joplin, Missouri area.

The photographs it appeared in were "selfies", taken by Bonnie Parker, Clyde Barrow, and W.D. Jones. between January, 1933, and April 13, 1933.

The 'stag-horn grip' S&W revolver, hanging on the V-8 Ford radiator-cap, was taken from Motorcycle Officer, Tom Percell, during his six hour abduction, January 26, 1933, in Springfield, Mo.

The gang's camera and rolls of film were found by Joplin Police after an unexpected gun battle, April 13, 1933. Five Police Officers checked at a residential apartment (over a garage) in a quiet neighborhood.

Neighbors had reported suspicious activity, possible stolen cars, and likely 'Moonshiners'. The authorities had no idea what they were dealing with.
The Barrow Gang shot their way out, two officers died, and Bonnie & Clyde became National News, through their photography.

Seven guns were left in the apartment, four of them High-Power rifles. I suspect the Krag was one of the rifles.

« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2019 at 3:44am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2019 at 7:01am
Print Post  
Chief of Detectives, Ed Portley (Joplin P.D.), corresponded with other Police Agencies in the course of his investigation.

An Arkansas 'Hunting License' was found in a hole in the stock of "an old Springfield rifle", at the crime scene.

It is my hunch this rifle was the (Springfield Armory) Krag and the 'stock hole' was the butt-trap. (Good place to keep a Hunting License)!

This exchange of letters may indicate how Clyde got his Krag. He traded for it! (Probably with a stolen gun and stolen money).
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2019 at 1:26pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2019 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
When Bonnie and Clyde had their rampage through Missouri they were not as well know. I searched some of the museum websites in Missouri dealing with B&C, but haven't seen a Krag, yet. It would be a neat find to discover where it ended up as Krag collectors. It would not have had the hype as the automatic weapons would have had. The "death car" received so much more acclaim.

Here is a photo from the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum in Waco, Texas showing some B&C ambush firearms.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2019 at 4:21am
Print Post  
In searching for details on the 'Bonnie & Clyde Krag', I think it important to focus on the photographs, evidence, and other documentation related to the April 13, 1933, Joplin crime scene.

The Krag did not show up in the inventories of arms, seized by police, following shoot-outs with the Barrow Gang near Platte City, Mo. (July 19, 1933, at Red Crown Motor Court) and near Dexter, Ia. (July 24, 1933, at Dexfield Park).

IMHO - Any focus on guns related to the Louisiana Ambush, May 23, 1934, that ended Bonnie & Clyde's crime spree, needlessly clouds the search.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2019 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Point well taken. I'll try to shine some sunlight on the specific topic. There is an FBI file with 249 pages on B&C. The photo copies are hard to read, but their may be some evidence of the Krag. It will take some time for me to sift thru it, but here it is if anybody else wants to try it. There are 6 other items to look at, also.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)
207/view

These files are very hard to read. So far found the list of items stolen from the armory at Plattville, IL including BAR's and 1903 Springfield with serial numbers.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2019 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
I struggled through the FBI files, but, could find no mention of the Krag in the lists of arms, recovered in the aftermath of Platte City, Mo. and Dexter, Ia. encounters.

There are lots of serial numbers for BAR rifles and 1911Colts. (No Krag in pictures or listed numbers).

At Dexfield Park (Dexter, Ia.), Clyde, Bonnie, and Jones escaped on foot and lost their vehicles and most of their guns. They had to resort to more car thefts and National Guard armory thefts to restock.

This is why I suspect the Krag was found in April, 1933, at the Joplin, Mo. garage/apartment.

Photo of Dexfield Park (Dexter, Ia.) recovered arms. These guns are inventoried and serial numbers are known.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2019 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Here is a picture of the 'sawed-off' Montgomery Wards Shotgun found at the Joplin, Mo. apartment. It auctioned recently for $68,000 and resides in a Joplin area museum.

This shotgun appears in some 'Bonnie & Clyde photographs', taken in front of the Ford "V-8", along with the Krag and a sawed-off 'semi-auto'.

In the affidavit the mention of the 'Wards' pump shotgun is confusing with the "Browning" reference.

« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2019 at 11:34pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint