Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Beautiful Sporter Stock - Any Clues Who Made It? (Read 2877 times)
Krag0matic
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Beautiful Sporter Stock - Any Clues Who Made It?
Nov 28th, 2019 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
I recently picked up an 1899 Carbine, with this super clean Aftermarket Sporter Stock. It does not look to be a reworked original. Wondering if anyone might know who manufactured this gorgeous furniture?
I have an original Carbine replacement on the way, so I can restore the 1899, and have a friend who wants this Stock, but I'm not sure I want to let go of this clean Sporter Stock just yet, Lol.
Any input is appreciated. Pics attached.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Beautiful Sporter Stock - Any Clues Who Made It?
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Nice stock. Re-blued barrel and receiver. Always nice to put a carbine action back into an authentic carbine stock.

Hopefully you have an M1901 hand guard.

Can you put up pictures of the carbine? Keep us informed. I have seen so many nice sporterized Krag stocks it's hard to imagine so many were manufactured over the years by someone!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2019 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
My guess would be that it's a Bishop stock.  Bishop made many sporter stocks for Krags, in many different styles.  Nice looking sporter you have there!

IP Logged

Krag0matic
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the input Guys. I don't have the 1899 hand guard, for the 1901 style sight,,, Yet,,, but will be looking for a good original over time. I have found a solid reproduction though, should finding an original be futile, or perhaps just to get me by until I locate the Holy Grail of hand guards.
I will try to post the refurbished Military Carbine, after the restoration is complete just for grins, providing I don't forget to in playing with my restored goodies.  Wink

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Finding the correct hand guard will not be futile, just expensive.

There are a few well known idiots on ebay and Gun Broker who buy up perfectly good Krags and tear them a part and sell the parts for much more than they bought the Krag for. The various hand guards are available for this reason but often for $150 and up.

We don't support the fruitless disassembly of good Krag rifles and carbines for profit in this manner. Parts can be made available from damaged or even low value sporterized Krags that have no military collector's value.

A reproduction can be made to look very close to the original with some work on your part. A repro will not affect shootability. Good luck and keep us informed.

IP Logged

Mark_Daiute
KCA Forum Member
KCA Official Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2019 at 11:50am
Print Post  
handguards

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2019 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
The 'Rifle' hand-guard, for the 1901 sight, is also correct on some model 1899 carbines, as first issued.

The hand-guard with the sight-protecting 'hump' was a later 'replacement', (to overcome sight damage from scabbard use).

The 'Rifle' hand-guard is a lot easier to find.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2019 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
While at Camp Perry last August, I sat down to lunch with a friend (who's name escapes me at the moment), and he showed me four new prototype handguards he had made... complete with the clips.  The quality was excellent and they looked like they would fit perfectly!  I told him he should get them on the market immediately!

IP Logged

Krag0matic
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Mark D;
Thanks for the link. That is where I found the reproductions I mentioned, they seem well done.
Butlersrangers;
I believe mine will most likely need the 1901 hump type, hand guard. My 1899 carbine serial# puts it's date of manufacture in mid to late 1901, as opposed to an older manufactured carbine getting an upgraded part in 1901, at least, that's what I'm thinking. I was lucky enough to find a 1901 cartouche' stock for the restoration, unfortunately the cartouche' is a little weak, and hard to see. Nice Carbine by the way.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2019 at 6:23am
Print Post  
FWIW - The model 1899 carbine hand-guard, with the protective 'hump', was adopted as the standard carbine hand-guard in February, 1902.

IP Logged

Krag0matic
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 11th, 2019 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Butlersrangers;
That's actually good news, so the standard 1901 sight guard would be the right one. Mine is September 1901 manufacture, so that will most definitely save some coin, thanks for the information.  Grin

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 11th, 2019 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
With U.S. Krags, there are often multiple "correct" answers.

My 1899 carbine is a "Deer Rifle", I rescued. It also dates from around September, 1901, (349XXX - Serial Number).

I restored it with the original parts, that I could get.

When first manufactured at Springfield, it likely had the 'rifle type' 1901 hand-guard.

IIRC - The 1901 carbine-sight was adopted in August, 1901. The 'protective' hand-guards showed up around April, 1902.

Krag carbines were subject to field repairs and Armory/Arsenal refurbishment. "Updates" likely happened, if a carbine was sent back to these facilities.

The way something was first assembled and the way it left the service can be quite different.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint