Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Scoping/sight options for Norwegian Sporter (Read 2424 times)
Milsurps4life
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Scoping/sight options for Norwegian Sporter
Dec 2nd, 2019 at 6:42am
Print Post  
Hello fellow krag lovers, i picked up this gun awhile ago simply because its a krag, and the idea of having one in .308 was pretty cool. It appears to be a Norwegian reciever and was imported and converted to a sporter by Globe Firearms in the 50s, however the sights suck, first two notches the rear sight is still below the reciever and it is very flimsy.

I was thinking about scoping this rifle, but im hesitant to get the s&k mount as id prefer a scope to be centred to the bore,

I also thought of having a gunsmith install more traditional iron sights so then the rear sight base could be used as a mounting point for a small scope as ive seen may people do, thoughts? What have ofher people done with their rifles?

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Re: Scoping/sight options for Norwegian Sporter
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2019 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
I would consider trying one of these (You need to Login to view media files and links) they are made for US Krags but might work on a sporter like that with a .308 barrel. Have your gunsmith position it as fasr back as it will go and drill and tap the holes to match ( I would consider the long rail in this case) and mount a long eye relief scope. I may take a little trial and error with rings but would likely be your best bet.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2019 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
The barrel taper MAY be different on a Norwegian barrel. When you talk to Kraghaus be sure to ask it the mount is compatible. It may want to rock side to side if your barrel is smaller than the US Krag where it mounts. May not be an issue but I would want to know before I started.

If the Kraghaus mounts are not compatible there are Weaver blanks that can be purchased and customized to fit. Do not get the one made from cold rolled steel. When you machine the opposite side, stresses are released that will cause the blank to curl. Ask me how I know!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2019 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
The 'Scout Scope', (long eye-relief/barrel-mounted), is probably the practical and least expensive way to go.

The Krag's 'ejection path' does not allow a scope to be mounted centered on the action.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
There was a fellow on castboolits that had one of these .308s.  He put a Rice peep sight on it, didn't mention having to raise the front sight.  The rear sight you have has to be the cheapest rear sight I've ever seen.  I think I saw it in a muzzleloader parts catalog long ago!  Probably back in the day when they were building these things!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
You want to make sure your .308 loads are within the pressure limits for the Norwegian Krag action.
(In case you don't know, the barrels for the Norwegian Krag Action have a left-hand thread).

Since the historic collector appeal of this rifle is gone, feel free to install any sight system, you favor, without guilt, including 'drilling& tapping'.

William's receiver-sights, (Model "NK" - for Norwegian Krag), show up from time to time on eBay. This model doesn't cost much, but, requires two tapped holes.

A better quality 'dovetailed' barrel-sight is also a cheap option and may stand taller.

IP Logged

Milsurps4life
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 6:03am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the info guy, im really liking the idea of the Rice Peep sight until i figure out something more permanent or leave it like that, im having trouble finding them for sale online, does anyone know where i could source one? Or the fancier pacific sights for that matter? Thanks again

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
The "no-drill" Pacific and Redfield 'Peep-sights' were made for the U.S. Krag receivers.

The Norwegian receivers, though similar in function to U.S. Actions, have different dimensions and machined contours. The 'magazine cut-off levers' are totally different. (I don't think the U.S. "No-Drill" sights will work).

The 'Rice Peep-Sight', which mounts on the Bolt-Sleeve, can possibly be adapted to the Norwegian Bolt. These sights show up on 'eBay' (check - Krag rifle), from time to time, but, are relatively crude and over-priced - IMHO.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
The only U.S. made sights and scope mount, I am aware of that were specific to the Norwegian Krag, were made by the Williams Gun Sight Company.

These items are likely out of production, but, show up on eBay and GunBroker, relatively cheap.

Attached are relevant pages from a William's booklet, "How To Convert Military Rifles", (1963).

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Was available, but isn't anymore.  In the way of scope mounting that is.  I only see the Rice sight upon occasion, where that fellow on castboolits found his I can't say.  The Pacific can be made to fit, but requires some work with a file, and maybe an extension to the shaft.  I'm not letting go of the one I modified to fit my .243 Norwegian!

Looking at it anew, I don't know how that fellow got a Rice to work on a Norwegian!  If you got it on there, the screw that holds the safety captive is in the way of adjustment!  The bolt sleeve of the Norwegian is wider at that point too, limiting windage adjustment.  So don't buy one right away cause I said it'd work!
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2019 at 1:49am by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

Baltimoreed
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Dec 21st, 2019 at 2:28am
Print Post  
I like the Scout rifle look. This is my Krag scout, the low power scope makes it a fast handling rifle. Using the pad on the buttstock raises your cheek so when you mount the rifle your eye is in the right place. Theres a fairly lengthy thread on the Scout Rifle Forum about my build. Look under P-scouts [pseudo-scouts].

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 21st, 2019 at 4:48am
Print Post  
I'd agree that's the best option, put a rail on the barrel. That's what I'll likely do to scope the .243.  I have the Pacific sight, but iron sights don't get it for me anymore.  If you could get things set up with an IER scope, you'd have the Norwegian version of Colonel Cooper's Scout Rifle!  I think the .308 barrels they used were made in Austria.  I know the .243 barrels were.  Being special order, I don't think the barrels were military taper.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint