Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Shooting Dynamite With A Krag Rifle (Read 1246 times)
Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Shooting Dynamite With A Krag Rifle
Dec 4th, 2019 at 4:18am
Print Post  
So it seems kind of silly to bring up. But experiments were actually tried using a Krag Jorgensen rifle shooting rounds at frozen and unfrozen dynamite. The rifle of 1,001 uses.

From a "Mining Science" periodical dated 7/6/1911:

Frozen Dynamite
Frozen dynamite is said to be far less sensitive than the unfrozen material. Some recent experiments were made with a particularly sensitive grade of 60 per cent gelatine dynamite and also with some straight dynamite. A number of these sticks were used as targets for bullets from a Krag Jorgensen government rifle loaded for a velocity of 2,150 ft and fired at a distance of 50 ft. from the dynamite. The bullets discharged in this way failed in every case to explode the sticks of frozen straight and gelatine dynamite. Other frozen sticks were then thawed and used as targets in precisely the same way. In every case the bullets detonated them, thus showing the decreased sensitiveness due to freezing. The same thing was shown in another way by using thawed sticks which were broken in two. If a cap with 30 grains of fulminate of mercury was attached to half of a thawed stick and the other half was placed 8 in. from it, the latter would be exploded when the former was fired. If, however, a whole stick of frozen dynamite was placed 8 in. from a half stick of thawed dynamite and the latter was fired the frozen stick remained unaffected. In fact, it was not until the frozen material was placed within 1 in. of the piece fired by the cap that it could be exploded. When sticks of frozen and of thawed dynamite were blown into the air with black powder it was found that the former took about three times as long to burn as the latter.

IP Logged

Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Shooting Dynamite With A Krag Rifle
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
I will keep this in mind, next time I am shooting dynamite.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
I always liked the story my grandfather used to tell me about his early years fishing off Kelly's Island in Lake Erie. He said they used to throw dynamite into the water and the shock waves from the explosion would cause lots of fish to float to the surface and then they would scoop them up.

That's why fishing with dynamite was made illegal. You could wipe out a small lake in a few hours that way.

just nice to have good memories of grandparents.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Anyone note the 50 feet from the dynamite? Maybe I do not know much about dynamite but it seems too close to me.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 3:21am
Print Post  
50 yards seems more reasonable...and shooting thru a hole in a wall or something of the sort. Perhaps the reporters notes were erroneous.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Quote "50 yards seems more reasonable...and shooting thru a hole in a wall or something of the sort."

I would feel better that way. I am a volunteer fireman that is my approach on fires involving compressed gas cylinders. Distance and something between me and the cylinder.

On reporters we see the reports all the time "fracking rigs" really? (the accompanying photo is always a drilling rig) Military grade weapons when referring to ARs. Give me a break, now a Krag is military grade. Smiley

IP Logged

King carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 5:56am
Print Post  
My dad told me they used hand grenades to fish with on saipan and the philipines during WW2. He called the grenades Dupont spinners. He said it was the best bait for fishing. Lol.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint