Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Is this gonna get me in trouble? (Read 3424 times)
RicKrager
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Is this gonna get me in trouble?
Dec 10th, 2019 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Greetings fellow Krag shooters,
Now that I have browsed the many topics I am stepping forward to admit to having had my eyes opened by all I have read.

Some history: my first .30 cal centerfire rifle was a gunshow 30-40 that had been sporterized (if we dare call it that). It was funky but it was cheap and it made this pistolero pleased to handle such a smooth piece of machinery. Never mind the weird wood work, the darn thing shot really well. My impression was the wood was original. After a bit, I was inspired to modify the trigger. I hope this that follows doesn’t get me drummed out of the group. I ground off the hump which gives the Krag its two-stage trigger. Then I drilled and tapped in a sear engagement screw. To deal with the over travel of the trigger I drilled and tapped the trigger guard and put in an over travel screw. Each screw is loaded with a spring to prevent random motion.

The trigger action is solid but gives the classic “glass rod” release and is not a hair trigger. Shooting at Whittington Center along side a Mauser action custom in a custom stock I found I was getting equal results. Since then, shooting in a sort of Krag vacuum I loved my funky Krag for the fine rifle it is. Now I learn there is much more to know about these rifles and their passionate owners. I guess we all agree, the Krag is a remarkable firearm.

My Funky M1898 Krag is 471xxx S/N, mfg. 1907. Besides the trigger job, I bead blasted and hot blued the metal. The barrel is 21 1/4” muzzle to receiver. The front sight is a Redfield blade dovetailed in to a base that wraps the barrel. The rearsight is a micrometer peep with variable aperture options and elevation adjustments. 175 gr. cast bullets with gas checks bounced a bucket at 200 yards off-hand. I learned a bit when I found reference to the square insert in the nose of the stock. I recently referred to it as “UD”, Ugly Duckling. Boy do I love that old shooter.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Is this gonna get me in trouble?
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 2:23am
Print Post  
Hello Mr. Rick and welcome to KCA! We all have our own little quirks, likes and dislikes regarding Krags so don't feel put out by your passions. When you have a sporterized Krag that has left the military configuration behind, we don't mind what you do to alter and customize your Krag to your heart's delight. We just don't like to see good military configuration Krags damaged in a way that they cannot be returned to their military comportment. That would make you someone we refer to as "Bubba".

You high number M1898 Krag rifle was manufactured late 1903 to early 1904. Some parts were assembled later but records weren't kept well for that. By 1903, the Model 1903 Springfield was born and starting to replace the Krag rifle for official use.

I know that altered Krags are not allowed to be shot officially in Camp Perry competitions, so, you'll have to keep your Krag away from there for now.

You have really worked up a fancy trigger job. I didn't follow exactly what you said you did but it sounds fascinating. I'd love to see pictures of your rifle as would others here. We like to share in the enjoyment of others' Krags and pick on small details that we find to fascinate you with our knowledge of this historic rifle. We can also learn from each other every time we do this so it's just for good fun!

Thanks again. I'm sure others will chime in and reflect on your project.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 3:57am
Print Post  
'RicKrager' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

BTW - A smooth two-stage trigger is a beautiful thing, if the 2nd-stage 'breaks' clean.

Whatcha doing 'Whig' .... executing Bubba for ruining that Norwegian Krag rifle by turning it into a Horse Pistol?

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 9:38am
Print Post  
I want a Krag pistol!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Be careful what you ask for!

Ole Krag lost out to JMB's model 1911, which was adopted by Norway as the model 1914.

(A Krag semi-auto pistol is probably mighty hard to find in North America or anywhere).
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2019 at 6:08pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Rick,
As mentioned we like to see all kinds of Krags. If you check the sporter section there are many modified rifles and carbines there many nice ones and a few really ugly. Even an ugly one gets discussed and sometimes we can find a few good points in them also. Only 2 things raise the ire around here, one would be bubba-ing a nice original Krag and the second is breaking up a nice Krag for profit on the parts.
40 years ago before the internet allowed a person to find parts I broke the trigger on my dad's rifle by trying to drive the pin out the wrong direction. Back then there were only a couple of dealers that sold parts for old guns. I ordered a new trigger and it was a cast piece of junk the geometry was a joke, pin hole was way oversize, cast finish was terrible. I was working at a screw machine shop at the time and the only machines available for side jobs were a drill press and a surface grinder, so I built a trigger and made it better than original (in my opinion) by changing the profile. It has a generous first stage and no travel on the second before it fires.
If you post photos of your trigger mod in the sporter section I can post a couple of mine. I did find the junk trigger in the junk box. Some will get a laugh out of what was passed off as a working trigger.

IP Logged

Whig
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
I'd be interested in seeing how you two have modified the triggers so I can learn if I ever wanted to do so myself. Thanks.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Mine was built from scratch. The donor material came from a piece of junk I found out in the field on a ranch were I was working. So I started with a big piece of steel and whittled it down leaving extra material for the 1 and 2 am stage. Not an option for most people.
The other thing I can not remember how I did it, 40 + years ago!

Rick's will be interesting as it was a modified original and thus others could copy it.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Here's a way to reduce the second stage without harming the original trigger. Done right, it works very well -

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Parashooter,
I just remembered your paper clip thing and was going to try to find the link.
You did it for me, thanks.

Looking at your picture, I think it was the "A" are I left the most additional material, with the idea of eliminating all but a tiny bit of the second stage.
One thing to be careful of with Parashooter's modification there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Too much will lower the engagement with the cocking piece and could lead to accidental discharge if the bolt is lifted. Just like ice cream too much of a good thing can harm you.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Measure how far normal trigger action moves the sear during the first stage and you may see that it would take a very thick wire (shim) to create the hazard Fred cautions about.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
'Back in the Day', they called the first-stage of the trigger-pull "Drag".

This is how Dr. Hudson, and others, eliminated the first-stage on their Krag triggers.

IP Logged

RicKrager
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Dec 11th, 2019 at 5:00am
Print Post  
Due to the interest I took two photos of the trigger modifications made to my dressed up Krag. I bought it as a shooter (about 1975) and now realize it is as it was on that fine day when first we met, the Krag and I. So I have not harmed a collector’s item. Rather, I have enhanced a darn good shooter and given it the respect it deserves.

I respect the collector/shooters who strive to keep their rifles as they were. I take ’em as I find ’em. It is good to know this remarkable wood and steel device excites such care. There is no plastic and alloy firearm that calls out to us as our fine Krags.

IP Logged

RicKrager
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2019 at 5:14am
Print Post  
Looking at my two photos I now realize the image might be improved if I had selected “medium” rather than “small”. If desired I can resend them. I also want to say that the sear engagement screw, when properly adjusted, will not in my experience, create a hazardous condition.

I really like the positive locking of the action of the safety. When in doubt, employ it.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Dec 11th, 2019 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Rick,
Interesting way of doing things. I know I speak for the rest of the KCA clan, we like all things Krag. When you get a chance take some more pictures. The members here can tell you a lot of interesting tidbits about the history of yours.
For some questions, how hard was your trigger to drill and tap? My broken one here really resists scratching with a file. On the one into the guard you could use a slotted or Allen set screw and use a touch of wicking Loctite on the threads after you have it just right, that way the screw head will not be detracting from the looks. Over travel is not a safety issue so I might adjust it just a little loose in case the guard moves a little with contraction or expansion with humidity changes on the stock. Would hate to be pulling on the trigger and it not go off when aiming at a prize buck. Smiley
On the screw on the trigger, I was trying to think of a method to ensure you have enough sear engagement for safety and came up with using a black marker on both sear surfaces and dry firing a couple of times. You should be able to tell how much engagement you have by how much black gets worn off. Common sense will tell you if you have enough that so it will be safe in all different temperatures and accidental dropping of the rifle. Be sure to lift on the cocking piece and bolt sleeves in your safety tests.
Attached is a photo of my shop made trigger. Again it was made because at that time I did not know you could buy replacement triggers and I wanted a different style of pull than standard military.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint